awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My OTD price for ALL power I use from 11p-7a is 3.5 cents per kWh out the door. (rate is 1.49 cents, but you know, fees and taxes).

If they used 2mi/kWh, that's 50kWh, that'd be 23.2 cents per kWh
If 3mi/kWh, that's 33.3kWh, that's 35 cents / kWh

If it's the bottom number, that's DCFC only, which almost nobody does. If you have the EV, you bought it for the economics. Nobody who pays their own power bill is going to find DCFC as 'the' option for charging when you can get nightly rates that are fractions.

Given that you can charge from home on the cheap, comparing gas station and DCFC station prices is idiotic. I didn't visit the link, I'm not going to click on their clickbait. They want people to go there which is why the claim is outlandish.

Stating that 35 cents/kWh must mean DCFC is just not true. In MA, National Grid is the largest residential electricity supplier. Their current rate is 48 cents.
Sponsored

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
Does anyone on this forum pay $11.60 in electric and related costs to go 100 miles?!?
I am close. The price of a delivered kWh (@ tariff) in central Mass is $.48. Last month my effective rate after offset for solar and shopping for an alternative supplier was $.29 With the reduced efficiency driven by the winter's cold driving 100 miles comes in at $11.11.

MA's electrical non-renewable generation is all Natural Gas and the demand for Natural Gas in Europe is a trigger for what was a significant price hike, that I am hoping will be able to be called a spike.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Stating that 35 cents/kWh must mean DCFC is just not true. In MA, National Grid is the largest residential electricity supplier. Their current rate is 48 cents.
That's just sickening. Really redefines nickel and diming.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
With gas at $4 a gallon, and a car (midsize hybrid SUV) that typically gets 25 MPG for a tank, I'm paying 16 cents a miles. Or $16 to go 100 miles.

With off-peak electricity rates at roughly 33 cents a kWh, and getting roughly 3 miles per kWh, I'm paying about 12 cents per mile to drive the Mach-E, or $12 for 100 miles.

I'd have to get a car that gets at least 34 MPG before the Mach-E is more expensive to drive.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
And it doesnā€™t seem like theyā€™re making fair comparisons of the vehicles, either. The Mach E is a 4 door crossover/SUV that goes 0-60 in around 5 seconds or less for AWD. What AWD ICE can do that and achieve like 30 MPG city? Tesla and several others are similar (I know many RWD variants of EVs are indeed slower, but they also get much better efficiency too, as much as 4 per kWh). The RAV4 hybrid - not the full ICE - can achieve similar efficiency numbers with AWD, but itā€™s freaking slow and not fun to drive. The ICE version is a turtle. Garbage article, per usual, from the anti-EV folks.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
The more I look at the numbers, the more BS this 'study' sounds. Using national averages ($.142/kWh, $3.41/gal), and a conservative 3mi/kwh, you would need to have a car that gets 70 mpg to match the EV. Using the US average MPG (25 mpg), the ICE loses badly, $13.60 to $4.73.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anderson Economic Group are either
1) dishonest
2) morons

possibly a combination of the two.

Either way, the greatest impact of their study is to destroy their credibility.
Not at all. Their study is guaranteed to be spread throughout the denialist bubble as proof that electric cars are a scam and should be banned.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The average electricity rate in the US is 13 cents... The article makes broad generalizations based on edge cases.
Not edge cases. A lot more folks in CA/MA/NH then WY/ND/IA. The below is from the November reporting. I saw a MAJOR price per kWh increase in December.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Per Study, ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging 1674683237198

Forty-seven states and the District of Columbia saw increased revenue per kilowatt-hour (kWh) compared to last November. The largest percent increase was in New Hampshire up 31.2%, followed by Hawaii, up 31.0%, and Nevada, up 30.5%. Average revenue per kWh figures decreased in three states in November compared to last year. These states were North Dakota, down 6.0%, Michigan, down 0.4%, and South Carolina, down 0.3%. In the contiguous US, New Hampshire, California, and Massachusetts had the highest average revenues at 23.55, 22.49, and 21.95 cents per kWh, respectively. Tennessee had the median average revenue at 11.17 cents per kWh. Wyoming, North Dakota, and Iowa had the lowest average revenues at 8.18, 8.20, and 8.48 cents per kWh, respectively.
Electricity Monthly Update - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Nothing to do with Putin. Everything to do with Biden's administration, and the following initiatives he's undertaken:

- Adopting new EPA oil and gas rules
- Restricting or impeding energy projects
- Rejoining the Paris agreement
- Appointing unaccountable energy regulators
- Forcing states to restrict driving
- Raising the prices of cars and trucks
- Instituting a new policy on carbon taxes in organized wholesale electricity markets
-Raising the prices of common household necessities
-Stifling energy innovation
-Altering regulatory cost analyses
-Imposing new costs on power generation
-Impeding Americans exports
-Raising taxes
-Fueling the fire for future regulation

Remember, mother Earth is dying, and its oceans will quickly rise and turn into pools of lava unless we bankrupt the average American taxpayer. Nevermind the fact that Chinese continue to build dozens of coal power plans for its middle class. We're very green over here, even if our pockets are empty.
Reads like preachin'

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
That's just sickening. Really redefines nickel and diming.
Are we talking the TOTAL cost of kwh delivered to your home? Because our electric bill is broken up into 13 cents/kwh for electric supply, and another 13 cents/kwh for the delivery. One company supplies the electricity, and another company maintains the delivery infrastructure.

In the end, I'm paying 26 cents/kwh, so I'm curious of others are listing their total price, or just the supply cost.

30 cents/kwh in Alaska is beyond belief. Aren't you sitting on trillions of barrels of oil up there? Your energy costs should be the cheapest in the nation.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
30 cents/kwh in Alaska is beyond belief. Aren't you sitting on trillions of barrels of oil up there? Your energy costs should be the cheapest in the nation.
Refining and distribution would have a big impact on price. I would be interested in the supply vs distribution breakdown.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Are we talking the TOTAL cost of kwh delivered to your home? Because our electric bill is broken up into 13 cents/kwh for electric supply, and another 13 cents/kwh for the delivery. One company supplies the electricity, and another company maintains the delivery infrastructure.

In the end, I'm paying 26 cents/kwh, so I'm curious of others are listing their total price, or just the supply cost.

My post about MA's largest electricity supplier charging 48 cents/kWh is total. It breaks down to roughly 34 cents on the supply side and 14 cents on the delivery side. The delivery side is basically a collection of several smaller mysterious sounding rates, and another flat $7 fee called the "customer fee".

In MA we can switch the supplier to get a better supply rate, but we can't change the delivery rates. I switched my supplier to the cheapest possible rate that was available (requiring a 3-year commitment) and it went from 34 cents down to 18 cents. So now I'm paying about 32 cents/kWh in total. There's a $150 early cancellation fee, which I've already saved in my first month's bill so I'll quickly cancel if cheaper rates become available this spring. We also intend to install solar this spring....
Sponsored