Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
So a rav4
That is one possibility, but in the Prime version. Or might be another EV. Spousal unit hasn't decided what they want. Neither the Mach-E or the existing hybrid SUV is going away.
Sponsored

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
Here’s my math for Dallas:

.14cents/kWH from electric company divided by 2.6miles/kWh for GTPE in winter
* 100miles =$5.38

compared to a sporty SUV requiring premium gas (
$3.39/gallon divided by 22mpg * 100miles = $15.49

compared to a boring hybrid with regular gas
$3/g divided by 50mpg * 100 miles = $6

The above does not include the cost of home level 2 EV charger that needs to be averaged. assuming it cost $800 after tax credit spread out over 60k miles (12K miles annually for 5 years) * 100 miles=$1.3

I’m kind of surprised of the at home charging cost but I’m sure it adds some value to the home so there’s that.

I think my maths is correct but I am posting on my phone 🥳

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It’s 11 cents a kilowatt here in central NC. $3.54 per 100 miles at 3.1 miles per kWh.

atomdeathstroke

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mache E Premium
Occupation
I make stickers
Country flag
I drive like an absolute asshole and get like 1.6-1.8 miles on average. But at $0.05 per kWH where I charge, I could give fuck all lol. Who is paying 13$ for 100 miles? LOL

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Holy cow, where are you that electricity is that much. Here in the Bay Area, PG&E charges, IIRC, 24/26 cents/kWh (but going up, as always) for their household rate, with an EV-specific rate plan that goes as low as 11 cents/kWh between 11pm and 7am.
I was hitting 79 cents last year with PGE in the Bay Area. Two houses, one EV that I didn't drive all that much and an 8KW solar system.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Per Study, ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging PGE Rate May 2022

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
There may actually be some truth to this but only if you use public charging every time. In all honesty you need to do the math on public charging it can be very expensive.

It more illustrates that the general public does not understand EVs. They assume that just like their ICE the you mostly fill up at a public source. As we all know to own an EV you charge at home.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
There may actually be some truth to this but only if you use public charging every time. In all honesty you need to do the math on public charging it can be very expensive.

It more illustrates that the general public does not understand EVs. They assume that just like their ICE the you mostly fill up at a public source. As we all know to own an EV you charge at home.
except that isn't what the study said at all

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was going to place (probably flawed) in front of Study in the title of this thread. But the Anderson Economic Group has determined the average cost to charge an EV, AT HOME, in order to drive 100 miles is $11.60 compared to $11.29 for gasoline for an ICE vehicle.
ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging in the midrange segment, study says
I don’t know about the rest of you, but my mi/kWh average over the last 5,000 miles was 3.1 which would make my charging at home cost $3.83. Adding in the expense of my 4+ year old L2 which I’ve used for ~ 50k EV miles still only adds $0.20 to the above.
Does anyone on this forum pay $11.60 in electric and related costs to go 100 miles?!?
Yes, it is quite possible in California. My minimum rate is 30 c/kWH. Summer rate is higher, IIRC. If you consider that the electric car consumption will be added on top of the household electricity consumtpion (meaning paying at higher tier rates), the effective rate for electric car charging is much higher. Unless one installs a separate meter to get the EV-only rate, which was $2000+ 8 years ago. Now it could be even more. Add 10% sales tax and it's even more.

Thank you CA politicians, for scamming the public with higher and hgher electricity rates. Blaming PG&E for everything and pushing it to install expensive battery packs are costing the public too much in electric rates. Soon the rates may be like that of Germany.

On top of electric rate, I pay ~$400 per year (or per 6 months?) for the city's clean energy generation BS. These weren't there 2 years ago. My true-up charge for solar jumped from $500 to $1000 this year.

https://www.pge.com/pge_global/comm...rates-work/Residential-Rates-Plan-Pricing.pdf

Ford Mustang Mach-E Per Study, ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging image_2023-01-25_185921821

Last edited:

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
My marginal rate at the end of the year was $0.69 / kWh. Yeah, I know.
My electric bill would be $1000 a month during some months at that rate. Wow.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I live in CT and we just took a large electric rate increase.

It costs me $8.51 for 100 miles, which is high but not $11.60.

Based on real numbers, 48.84 kWh, 178 miles added, $0.31 net rate per kWh.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Here in MN the standard rate is $.14 but Xcel energy offers a off peak rate to those willing to install a 2nd meter of $.04 off peak

For a short period of time they offered unlimited charging for $32 per month

Also if you don't have solar and I do they offer a $.028 off peak rate.

Screenshot_20230125-222416.png

Last edited:

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
WOW!
That CA nonsense is motivation for us to reconsider our timeline for doubling our solar production.
We currently produce all the energy we use. However, we are currently permitted to produce 200% of our (annual)usage with no limits on battery storage. The real limit on batteries (our current back up battery is only 29.5kWh) are their obscene cost.
The reason for 200% is winter production is lower.
But at those CA rates there is greater incentive to be able to produce more. The 30% tax credit makes it reasonable even with the solar companies price fixing/gouging.

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Consider yourself lucky and blessed. In the northeast, there's no such thing as "offpeak" rates. We pay 24 cents/kwh all year long.
I live in Rockland County, O&R, owned by Con Ed I believe and we have lower night rates from 9 pm to 10 am, much cheaper, about 10 cents per KW.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
As a footnote, our energy supplier (Xcel) only had a gross profit of $8.096B (increase of of 6.88% year-over-year) for twelve months ending 9/30/2022.
Gross profit of $2.402B quarter ending 9/30/2022 (11.16% increase).
Sponsored