superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Semantics, I suppose, but the title is actually "Costs of Fueling", which could mean the things needed to fuel in addition to the fuel itself. The chart breaks it out into Energy Costs, Road Taxes, Cost of Chargers, and Cost of Deadhead Miles.

...The road taxes are there only because they're already included in gas (gas tax), so they're adding the countertpart on the other side.
I don't need road taxes to charge my vehicle. But if they are including them to be 'fair', then they are already straying outside of what they claim to be saying, and are only including the charger to make it seem like there is no difference between gassing up or charging up, because they know a straight up 'fuel' comparison is a clear loss (on average) for an ICE.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't need road taxes to charge my vehicle. But if they are including them to be 'fair', then they are already straying outside of what they claim to be saying, and are only including the charger to make it seem like there is no difference between gassing up or charging up, because they know a straight up 'fuel' comparison is a clear loss (on average) for an ICE.
The other way to do it could have been to strip gas taxes out of the gas side, I suppose. Since they pay for roads, not gas.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The other way to do it could have been to strip gas taxes out of the gas side, I suppose. Since they pay for roads, not gas.
Except you HAVE to pay the gas taxes at the pump; you can't avoid them. If they are going to put 'Real World' in the title, they can't keep trying to be 'fair' when making comparisons.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Except you HAVE to pay the gas taxes at the pump; you can't avoid them. If they are going to put 'Real World' in the title, they can't keep trying to be 'fair' when making comparisons.
You have to pay the comparable road-funding EV fee in most states too, that replaces the gas tax. It's just collected in a different way. Counting that for one and not the other would make it even more apples-oranges.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You have to pay the comparable road-funding EV fee in most states too, that replaces the gas tax. It's just collected in a different way. Counting that for one and not the other would make it even more apples-oranges.
Again, that is a fee regardless of driving one mile or 100k miles. It has no bearing on my fueling costs. That is a TCO cost. The fueling tax for gas are paid per gallon as you drive.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Again, that is a fee regardless of driving one mile or 100k miles. It has no bearing on my fueling costs. That is a TCO cost. The fueling tax for gas are paid per gallon as you drive.
The whole study is based on driving X number of miles, and dividing the costs into that. The annual EV fee for road funding is just another one of those. Is it a perfect number? No. Neither is the mi/kWh they're using, or the gas price, or the electricity price, or ANY of the numbers they're using. It's all based on averages and typical usage patters.

If someone doesn't like how they're doing it, they can just look at the slice that shows only the energy cost alone.

Zod

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Exxon Mobile $75 Billion Stock Buyback, says ‘Hold my beer!’

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oil changes.
Yes, they're only counting the costs associated with fueling, not maintenance (which is higher on ICE) or purchase price (which is higher on EVs).

Road funding costs are associated with gas fueling (unavoidable as a gas tax as you pointed out), so they're counting that for both sides. Maintenance isn't related to refueling on either side so that's not included. Same with vehicle purchase price.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, they're only counting the costs associated with fueling,

Road funding costs are associated with gas fueling
Is I pointed out before, they are not required or associated with fueling, otherwise you would pay by the mile or kWh. Just because they are required at the point of fueling for ICEs doesn't mean they are for EVs. You pay the same for one mile or 100k miles.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is I pointed out before, they are not required or associated with fueling, otherwise you would pay by the mile or kWh. Just because they are required at the point of fueling for ICEs doesn't mean they are for EVs. You pay the same for one mile or 100k miles.
You're missing my point, and you clipped it out when I explained it. Road funding is already imbeded in the cost of the fueling for gas (gas tax), so they naturally included its counterpart for EVs too.

If road funding weren't included in the equation for gas, they wouldn't have included it for EVs either. It logically gets counted either on BOTH sides of the comparison, or NEITHER side of the comparison. The only reason it's included in this comparison at all is because it's stuck being tied to gas purchases.

I get that you want it counted in one and not the other, but that would pollute the comparison by making it apples-to-oranges. (Or more apples-to-oranges than it already is, as the case may be.)

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're missing my point, and you clipped it out when I explained it
I didn't miss your point, and I clipped out what wasn't relevant. An EV road tax/fee has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with charging an EV. I'm not sure how else to put it. You just choose to ignore it, for some reason.
If road funding weren't included in the equation for gas, they wouldn't have included it for EVs either. It logically gets counted either on BOTH sides of the comparison, or NEITHER side of the comparison. The only reason it's included in this comparison at all is because it's stuck being tied to gas purchases.
So, one is paid as you fuel per gallon, the other is paid one time regardless of how many miles/how many kWh you use... but count them both the same when comparing fuel costs?
I get that you want it counted in one and not the other, but that would pollute the comparison by making it apples-to-oranges. (Or more apples-to-oranges than it already is, as the case may be.)
If they want some type of overall cost to operate, that's fine, but that is not what they said they are comparing. This study is crap.

meinhard57

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Select RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was going to place (probably flawed) in front of Study in the title of this thread. But the Anderson Economic Group has determined the average cost to charge an EV, AT HOME, in order to drive 100 miles is $11.60 compared to $11.29 for gasoline for an ICE vehicle.
ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging in the midrange segment, study says
I don’t know about the rest of you, but my mi/kWh average over the last 5,000 miles was 3.1 which would make my charging at home cost $3.83. Adding in the expense of my 4+ year old L2 which I’ve used for ~ 50k EV miles still only adds $0.20 to the above.
Does anyone on this forum pay $11.60 in electric and related costs to go 100 miles?!?
100 miles of driving costs me about $3.40 now when charging at home - I average about 3.5m/kWh. I know I am very fortunate to have low electricity rates - one of the driving reasons to switch. I was previously (up until late last month) driving an ICE vehicle that averaged 19 mpg overall and used premium gasoline. So, my cost previously was $26.32 to drive 100 miles. I am happy :)

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I didn't miss your point, and I clipped out what wasn't relevant. An EV road tax/fee has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with charging an EV. I'm not sure how else to put it. You just choose to ignore it, for some reason.

So, one is paid as you fuel per gallon, the other is paid one time regardless of how many miles/how many kWh you use... but count them both the same when comparing fuel costs?

If they want some type of overall cost to operate, that's fine, but that is not what they said they are comparing. This study is crap.
Ugh. I don't know how to explain it any more clearly than saying if an extra cost component is ALREADY stuck in one side of the equation, that you include it on the other side of the equation to make it as apples-to-apples as you can. If you aren't gonna do that, then don't even bother doing a comparison.

No, they said it's about the cost of "Fueling", not just energy alone.

But I get that you want the equation to be unbalanced. So be it.
Sponsored