Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium MME ER RWD in Space White
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Shop suppliers. I just lowered my rate from $0.14612 to $0.1039 with a 33 month lock, no fees, cancel/switch anytime, etc. That shaves over $40/month off my bill even in winter, more in summer(at least until my solar gets installed).

My cost to drive 100 miles in winter is $3.82
Energy cost $0.1472 (including distribution charge)
260wH/m or 3.85m/kWh average since December 2022 purchase, so ALL cold weather driving.
Summertime should drop that to about $3, although I hope to have solar up and running by then. :)

The Kia has a lifetime average of about 3.6m/kWh which includes last summers driving.
So $4.09/100 miles lifetime.
My guess for winter only driving is 3.2m/kWh which would be $4.60. Actually, this number is probably significantly lower as we've gotten A LOT of free charging. We made a 400 mile weekly round trip commute with free DC fast charging for several months!

Based on my cost of $3.82 compared to the ICE car cost in the article, I thought of a new title for the article:

WOW ICE CARS 300% MORE EXPENSIVE TO FUEL THEN EV'S!!!!!
Where do you live? In Las Vegas, there is only one choice of electricity supplier. NV Energy is a regulated monopoly here, so we have no options.

However, I do have solar panels but I did not factor that into my calculations for the charging costs to be fair in the comparison of EV vs ICE.
Sponsored

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Is there a chart showing the trend lines for the retail price of gas vs the retail price of electricity over the past ten years?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there a chart showing the trend lines for the retail price of gas vs the retail price of electricity over the past ten years?
There are, but they don't mean much because gasoline (and oil) prices are highly volatile based (in part) on geopolitical factors around the world. The up/down cycles can stretch as long as 15 years. From 1986 to 2000, for instance, oil prices went through a historically low period.

Electricity prices tend to be less volatile, in part because they usually have a variety of sources, typically coal, natural gas, hydro, nuclear, wind, solar. Of those, the only one that tends to be volatile is the natural gas price.

He's one article with some charts for the last 3 years, but again, it's pretty meaningless since gasoline varies so much, both short and long term.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/19/cost-of-charging-ev-vs-gas-prices.html

Gasbuddy has gas price charts.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Per Study, ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging Firefox_Screenshot_2023-02-02T15-31-06.761Z

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
There are, but they don't mean much because gasoline (and oil) prices are highly volatile based (in part) on geopolitical factors around the world. The up/down cycles can stretch as long as 15 years. From 1986 to 2000, for instance, oil prices went through a historically low period.

Electricity prices tend to be less volatile, in part because they usually have a variety of sources, typically coal, natural gas, hydro, nuclear, wind, solar. Of those, the only one that tends to be volatile is the natural gas price.

He's one article with some charts for the last 3 years, but again, it's pretty meaningless since gasoline varies so much, both short and long term.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/19/cost-of-charging-ev-vs-gas-prices.html

Gasbuddy has gas price charts.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Per Study, ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging Firefox_Screenshot_2023-02-02T15-31-06.761Z
Thanks. Maybe we need a longer time scale. Gas prices certainly fluctuate more, but they go down nearly as often as they go up. I'm at a loss trying to remember the last time electricity prices went down.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks. Maybe we need a longer time scale. Gas prices certainly fluctuate more, but they go down nearly as often as they go up. I'm at a loss trying to remember the last time electricity prices went down.
Especially now since inflation is so high. It was easy to forget just how insidious high inflation is when we had a 30-year period of such low inflation. Electricity prices are less volatile, but that also means inflation will push them almost nowhere but up (gradually). Less gradually when inflation is running 6-8%.

Electricity is different too in that it's a public utility, awarded in franchises as pseudo-monopolies, with prices controlled by PUCs. That reduces the volatility a lot.

And while electricity is less volatile within a specific region, it varies a lot from region-to-region (state-to-state) because the sources vary a lot by region, as do the regulations and mandates for sourcing. The cost of electricity may average 8c/kWh in one state but 30c in another.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Shop suppliers. I just lowered my rate from $0.14612 to $0.1039 with a 33 month lock, no fees, cancel/switch anytime, etc. That shaves over $40/month off my bill even in winter, more in summer(at least until my solar gets installed).

My cost to drive 100 miles in winter is $3.82
Energy cost $0.1472 (including distribution charge)
260wH/m or 3.85m/kWh average since December 2022 purchase, so ALL cold weather driving.
Summertime should drop that to about $3, although I hope to have solar up and running by then. :)

The Kia has a lifetime average of about 3.6m/kWh which includes last summers driving.
So $4.09/100 miles lifetime.
My guess for winter only driving is 3.2m/kWh which would be $4.60. Actually, this number is probably significantly lower as we've gotten A LOT of free charging. We made a 400 mile weekly round trip commute with free DC fast charging for several months!

Based on my cost of $3.82 compared to the ICE car cost in the article, I thought of a new title for the article:

WOW ICE CARS 300% MORE EXPENSIVE TO FUEL THEN EV'S!!!!!
THIS! I’ve compared my MME to a 30 mpg ICE and the ICE is about 3X more expensive to fuel. This with mostly at home charging, but some at paid public chargers. The article is garbage.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
That's because you have real competition for gas, but not so much for electricity. Also, many utilities are regulated to the point that they have to go through a process for any raise in prices, so they don't really want to give up those hard earned increases.