Performance Question

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Yes, I know... Me and my performance questions. Indulge me because something doesn't make sense (to me) and maybe its because we don't have final numbers. Trying to understand how the Select and FE have the same e-AWD torque if there is an 80 HP difference between the two? Why wouldn't the ER battery also create more torque unless it is due solely to the limitations of the output of both motors (which are the same in both cars)?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Performance Question Mach-E Performance
Sponsored

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Yes, I know... Me and my performance questions. Indulge me because something doesn't make sense (to me) and maybe its because we don't have final numbers. Trying to understand how the Select and FE have the same e-AWD torque if there is an 80 HP difference between the two? Why wouldn't the ER battery also create more torque unless it is due solely to the limitations of the output of both motors (which are the same in both cars)?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Performance Question Mach-E Performance
You have an additional battery array available, so likely 33% more current (amperage) is available from the ER battery. With power = voltage x current, there ya go...

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

Mach-E Performance.png
Horsepower and torque are two different things. I think the torque ratings are the same because the motors are equally capable of producing the same amount of rotational force (torque) regardless of how much electricity is provided.

For HP, what matters is how much electricity is put through them, like RonTCat said. To generate higher HP you need more juice and the motors will spin faster. But no matter how much juice you give them, the motors can only turn so hard.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Good question.
In the most basic form, HP is torque x rpm. So, both vehicles have the same torque but one vehicle is able to provide more current to the motor because it has more battery arrays. More current increases the rpm compared to less current so higher HP figures.

Net result.....
Hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds on both vehicles and the one with more current will turn more revolutuons (all else being equal). More rpm x same torque is higher HP.

Hope that makes sense.....

OP
OP
KAustin

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I appreciate the clarifications. Hanging out on this forum makes me smarter.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Good question.
In the most basic form, HP is torque x rpm. So, both vehicles have the same torque but one vehicle is able to provide more current to the motor because it has more battery arrays. More current increases the rpm compared to less current so higher HP figures.

Net result.....
Hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds on both vehicles and the one with more current will turn more revolutuons (all else being equal). More rpm x same torque is higher HP.

Hope that makes sense.....
I was trying to think this through the other day, could you or others say if the following statements are correct?

BEVs make their highest torque at the very beginning of the power band, and slowly drop their torque levels as rpm rises.

But even with torque dropping off, horsepower is still rising as your rpm goes up because the faster spinning of the motor more than makes up for the drop off in torque.

Like ICE cars, horsepower in BEVs is usually highest around redline when the motors are spinning at their fastest.

As a result, even with torque dropping off as rpm is rising, horsepower is still increasing because the faster spinning of the motor (i.e. the higher rpm) more than makes up for the drop off in torque.

We know the AWD ER and AWD SR Mach E’s both have max torque of 428 lb.-ft. But the AWD ER has substantially more horsepower at 346 HP versus 266 HP for the AWD SR.

If the above statements are accurate, does this mean the AWD ER and AWD SR will have essentially identical power curves at say 20%, 40%, 60% throttle, but at a certain point, because the AWD ER has so much more horsepower, it means it must have a higher redline in order to be able to have its motors spin a lot faster than the motors on the AWD SR and in doing so, generate that higher horsepower (80 more HP).

In other words, you would have to gun it in order to experience the faster acceleration in the AWD ER because it will otherwise perform similarly to the AWD SR at lower rpms (for example, at 50% throttle)?

Is this right/wrong/we can’t tell yet?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Electric motors have a flat torque curve. Same torque at 1 rpm and at 10,000 rpm. It is a straight flat line.

Reactions: pb3

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Electric motors have a flat torque curve. Same torque at 1 rpm and at 10,000 rpm. It is a straight flat line.
That is not correct. Electric motors start with max torque and do have a flat line initially, but torque does drop at certain point with increasing RPMs.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That is not correct. Electric motors start with max torque and do have a flat line initially, but torque does drop at certain point with increasing RPMs.
Hmm. Okay. Guess I am mistaken then. Most all torque charts I have seen show a flat line from 0 per cent to 100 percent. Maybe I was looking at something different.

Do we have a torque graph for the MME motor? At what RPM does max torque occur
Sponsored