Country flag
Last edited:

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon
Country flag
There's what seems to be a section of the Mustang and Ford community that isn't sold on this and that is very understandable. Bill Ford himself wasn't sold on this and neither was Dave.

I think right now Ford need to be a little more proactive and directly invite the most vocal critics from that community to try it out for themselves.

Ford have don't most things right but I tend to feel there was one thing they overlooked or just totally ignored, and that is when they first said it would be called Mach 1 the community backlash told them that wasn't an option so they pulled it back to Mach E. Therefore they expected an even greater backlash when they decided it would be called Mustang, but what is their plan for this backlash?

They've, IMO, in instilling enough Mustang DNA in this. The Mach E is deserving of the Mustang badge.

Did the Mustang community need to be consulted? No, not at all, but I believe they should have a program that shows enough of what is in that article above to the masses. The original Mustang community is their family, after all.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
They've, IMO, in instilling enough Mustang DNA in this. The Mach E is deserving of the Mustang badge.
That is the thing to me what is the mustang DNA, not originally being from the USA to me the look of the 65 fastback is what I think of when it comes to the shape of, but the coupe was the big seller. When I moved over from the UK a the start of the millennium you would see all sorts of fox bodied mustangs on the road non of which screamed mustang to me, but should they be the mustang DNA?

Fast forward a few years and the SN95 came out with the retro looks that to me that had the look of the mustang so naturally I went and took one for a test drive as you'd would never get a large v8 for such a low cost back in the UK, but after a test drive it was obvious why as it was awful so it that the mustang DNA the mach-e should copy?

The mach-e is not going to get rid of the normal mustang, and if anything will save it and for it to continue and be competitive on the global scale then it will need to be refined further still, the 350R & PP2 equipped GT's are heading in the right direction.

You only need to see the moaning about the s550 getting IRS and the who cares attitude when it later got given a two star ANCAP crash rating, that the vocal members of the community where never going to be happy even if consulted. Once the marking push has died down and the cars are on the road all the up roar will die down.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Ford have don't most things right but I tend to feel there was one thing they overlooked or just totally ignored, and that is when they first said it would be called Mach 1 the community backlash told them that wasn't an option so they pulled it back to Mach E. Therefore they expected an even greater backlash when they decided it would be called Mustang, but what is their plan for this backlash?
That's why Ford didn't let it slip out it was going to be called a Mustang they new the backlash would be untenable

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
The reason why it is not well received as a Mustang, is because Ford told us nothing about the suspension... did't show us any footage of suspension linkage, or get technical of brakes.... nothing.

So how do we know, until we can SEE that is based on Mustang handling, etc.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
The reason why it is not well received as a Mustang, is because Ford told us nothing about the suspension... did't show us any footage of suspension linkage, or get technical of brakes.... nothing.

So how do we know, until we can SEE that is based on Mustang handling, etc.
Saying Mustang is actually saying two door coupe, it doesn't mean anything about performance because not all Mustangs are performance cars. Some of them have been economy cars if you actually consider their history and many model years did not handle well at all frankly.

I agree that in recent times Mustang has been more performance oriented with factory cars that have outragouse performance.

My issue with the whole thing is more about language going forward, if you just say Mustang there will be confusion as to what you are talking about. If they keep adding vehicles to the Mustang name it only gets worse. Mustang would become something like Mercury. Who ever says Mercury, they just say Cougar.

Ford could have coined a new name to eliminate confusion or maybe even used an old name that hasn't been used in a long time.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
Saying Mustang is actually saying two door coupe, it doesn't mean anything about performance because not all Mustangs are performance cars. Some of them have been economy cars if you actually consider their history and many model years did not handle well at all frankly.

I agree that in recent times Mustang has been more performance oriented with factory cars that have outragouse performance.

My issue with the whole thing is more about language going forward, if you just say Mustang there will be confusion as to what you are talking about. If they keep adding vehicles to the Mustang name it only gets worse. Mustang would become something like Mercury. Who ever says Mercury, they just say Cougar.

Ford could have coined a new name to eliminate confusion or maybe even used an old name that hasn't been used in a long time.
I don't think you know anything about Mustangs.... what Mustang was aimed at non-performance? And were economy cars..?

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
A lot of the first Mustang where six cylinders with a 3 speed transmission that was floor shifted.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
The car is a little under a year away from being released, once all the up roar has died down and everyone has forgotten about it and the news media has moved onto what ever the next new bev hotness is.

Ford could even at the last moment announce that they have listened put ford on the steering wheel, change the kick plates and put a ford badge on the front and mach-e on the back and swap GT for ST then drop the mustang naming. The news will then be filled with happy mustang faithful and the mach-e will be back to the top of the news media pile lol.

I really couldn't care less if it ends up with a mustang pony or ford badges on it, as long as it drives well and gets the advertised range is what matters to me and probably most of those that made a reservation.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
The car is a little under a year away from being released, once all the up roar has died down and everyone has forgotten about it and the news media has moved onto what ever the next new bev hotness is.

Ford could even at the last moment announce that they have listened put ford on the steering wheel, change the kick plates and put a ford badge on the front and mach-e on the back and swap GT for ST then drop the mustang naming. The news will then be filled with happy mustang faithful and the mach-e will be back to the top of the news media pile lol.

I really couldn't care less if it ends up with a mustang pony or ford badges on it, as long as it drives well and gets the advertised range is what matters to me and probably most of those that made a reservation.
I think the risk in that is alienating customers who have already reserved the car. While many don’t care, some may feel cheated out of the Mustang name and badging.

I personally don’t care about the naming, but I’d miss the backlit pony on the front of my GT.

EyeOnMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X. Prev: Restored a 67 Mustang convertible
Country flag
I think the risk in that is alienating customers who have already reserved the car. While many don’t care, some may feel cheated out of the Mustang name and badging.

I personally don’t care about the naming, but I’d miss the backlit pony on the front of my GT.
Agree. In addition, a name / brand can influence a vehicle's resale value. E.g. 10 years from now a listing for a used Mach-E might mean nothing to the first EV buyer, where as, a Mustang Mach-E carries a built-n, rich history of performance that can help support a higher resale value.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I don't think you know anything about Mustangs.... what Mustang was aimed at non-performance? And were economy cars..?
Many model years had four cylinders and others had V8s with less than 289 displacement. Also, IRS was rejected by the Mustang faithful for many years. They insisted it should keep the prehistoric solid rear axel claiming it launched better.

After further consideration of this being a global car, there are many markets where the Mach-e may be sold where there are no Mustang coupes. I have been to Europe and I saw a Mustang coupe next to never. For them there won't be any confusion and they can just call it a Mustang, same in China.
Sponsored

Last edited: