Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
I know people who don't think the 2015+ Mustangs that are shipping right now aren't mustangs because they went to an independent suspension.

They sold 17K mustangs in 2018 I think it was. They'll survive if those people never buy again and just 10% of the people who buy 5 passenger SUVs buy the Mach E instead. The volume on 5 passenger SUVs at Ford alone is just that great.

If people that supposedly 'love' the mustang don't buy new gas ones in a few years because of this they weren't Mustang fans, they're just more of that entitled crybaby humans have become over the last decade or so.
Sponsored

EyeOnMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X. Prev: Restored a 67 Mustang convertible
Country flag
Many model years had four cylinders and other had V8s with less than 289 displacement.
Very true. E.g. my stock '67 Mustang convertible had a straight 6 (cyls), 200 hp. Let's just say back in the early 80s when I had it I wasn't revving my engine at the car next to me while at a stop light. ;)

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I'll have no problem parking it next to it's 18 5.0 GT. The resale is model specific, my 87 GT was and is worth more than the LX 5.0 with all the same options and a GT350 resale will be more than my GT, and Cobra more than both, and GT500 and so on. In 91 you would say Mustang and people would say GT or regular Mustang? I

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
By the time it comes out the mustang forums topics of choice will have moved on to the next round of mustang model rumors. Besides at least the existing mustang owners will actually be getting a replacement they will be able to purchase to look forward to

The rest of us north american car owners got shafted, typical that just as the newer mk4 Focus ST gets substantial improvements and if the rumors are true the focus RS will be pretty special both are taken off the table.

The mach-e is literately the only vehicle in the whole of the ford north american line up I have any interest in so I imagine ford would rather sell me a fake mustang than have my dollars go elsewhere.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
By the time it comes out the mustang forums topics of choice will have moved on to the next round of mustang model rumors. Besides at least the existing mustang owners will actually be getting a replacement they will be able to purchase to look forward to

The rest of us north american car owners got shafted, typical that just as the newer mk4 Focus ST gets substantial improvements and if the rumors are true the focus RS will be pretty special both are taken off the table.

The mach-e is literately the only vehicle in the whole of the ford north american line up I have any interest in so I imagine ford would rather sell me a fake mustang than have my dollars go elsewhere.
Then the mustang forums can complain a ton about the hybrid performance option of the upcoming mustang coupe.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
As a Mustang Ecoboost owner, I heard it all about how "not-a-Mustang" it was. I owned a 1990 GT which had 225HP and 300 ft-lbs of Torque. My 2017 Ecoboost, when stock, came with 310HP and 320 ft-lbs of Torque. After some upgrades it has about 350 HP and Torque numbers.

I only wish Ford had called it a Turbo Mustang and let the Ecoboost "brand" stay with the other models. I call it a Turbo anyway. :D

The Mustang in coupe form will live on and eventually might even be an all electric version someday. The Hybrid is coming next along with better 2.3L 4's and V-8's.

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 Edge ST, 2019 Nautilus
Country flag
Theres a couple of things being missed by a lot of people here, and while they may not agree it does make a lot of sense:

1. Ford needed to make a big splash with this to get people talking. Using the Mustang name absolutely did that. Mission accomplished

2. The vocal enthusiasts love the Mustang, but they love *their* Mustang by and large. They want Ford only to make the cars they themselves would want and they are a VERY small minority. There are lots of examples of this. Mustang GTs are actually the minority of Mustangs sold, but enthusiasts hate V6 and Ecoboosts by and large. Most Mustangs sold are autos, something else many enthusiasts seem to hate. Bottom line is that if Ford made only what vocal enthusiasts say they should make, they'd be out of business

I had mixed feelings about using the Mustang name. I'm the proud owner of a 727 HP Supercharged 2017 GT with a 6 speed. Love that car. But I don't daily drive it and wouldn't. Its not comfortable for doing so and I can't really drive anyone else around in it. It doesn't get great mileage. For what it is, a second car for the weekends, its fantastic and I wouldn't change a thing. I have my deposit down on a Mach E GT and that will be my commuter and daily driver. It'll give me something sporty that is as fast 0-60 as my GT but that I can haul around people and stuff in.

Too many people on the Internet think their own personal desires/tastes/purchases are the only things anyone should ever choose. This Mach E will expand and likely preserve the breed, just like the economy Mustang II did.

Not every Mustang is a Cobra or Shelby...

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Theres a couple of things being missed by a lot of people here, and while they may not agree it does make a lot of sense:

1. Ford needed to make a big splash with this to get people talking. Using the Mustang name absolutely did that. Mission accomplished

2. The vocal enthusiasts love the Mustang, but they love *their* Mustang by and large. They want Ford only to make the cars they themselves would want and they are a VERY small minority. There are lots of examples of this. Mustang GTs are actually the minority of Mustangs sold, but enthusiasts hate V6 and Ecoboosts by and large. Most Mustangs sold are autos, something else many enthusiasts seem to hate. Bottom line is that if Ford made only what vocal enthusiasts say they should make, they'd be out of business

I had mixed feelings about using the Mustang name. I'm the proud owner of a 727 HP Supercharged 2017 GT with a 6 speed. Love that car. But I don't daily drive it and wouldn't. Its not comfortable for doing so and I can't really drive anyone else around in it. It doesn't get great mileage. For what it is, a second car for the weekends, its fantastic and I wouldn't change a thing. I have my deposit down on a Mach E GT and that will be my commuter and daily driver. It'll give me something sporty that is as fast 0-60 as my GT but that I can haul around people and stuff in.

Too many people on the Internet think their own personal desires/tastes/purchases are the only things anyone should ever choose. This Mach E will expand and likely preserve the breed, just like the economy Mustang II did.

Not every Mustang is a Cobra or Shelby...
Fantastic post. Agreed 100%. I loved my 6 speed camaro ss that was cammed, full bolt ons, and 4.10 gears. Loved rowing through the gears. That feeling is hard to beat. This will be a nice car, just as you stated, to go quick when you want, but be able to haul people and things.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
From MotorTrend - Pericak: "I am 100% convinced it's a Mustang."

So, from this article it is specifically referencing "two GTs"... one will have the same motor both front and rear, the $60,500 version on the site now...

I have been following this car since Ford Tweeted to Tesla to "hold your horses" dropping the news of a Mustang-inspired EV after the Model Y unveil.

Am I missing something?
Will we have a chance at two GT packages to choose from (sort of like when I ordered mine back in 2012, like a "regular" GT but then a GT premium?)?
Someone straighten me out on this... so will one GT version have the usual motor in back and a smaller motor up front, and then the faster GT have both big motors front and back, as they've been promoting?

Or will the AWD on GT trims just be based on battery size and range, thus making the two trim levels of GT?

What am I missing here?

I reserved a premium with LR/AWD... but if there is a chance for a cheaper GT, I may want to go that route... to be sure I have two GTs in my garage.

Teach me people.

Screenshot_20191122-204618_Chrome.jpg

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I'm a dunder head... "the second variant..." meaning a Premium with standard battery and AWD has big motor in back and small motor up front... but the LR/AWD, obviously a larger, higher kWh batter = more power to wheels.... THEN, the GT, largest battery, and two big motors, bith front and back... I got it now...
I was confusing myself... it's been a long week... sorry y'all, I think I got it now... I mean Ibhad it, but got turned around. Oh boy...

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
And I'll also be honest... I truly wish they would illuminate the pony on the front for all the cars... I love it on the GT but being that this is such an iconic brand and a leap EV for Ford, I think the whole line should get it.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
From MotorTrend - Pericak: "I am 100% convinced it's a Mustang."

So, from this article it is specifically referencing "two GTs"... one will have the same motor both front and rear, the $60,500 version on the site now...

I have been following this car since Ford Tweeted to Tesla to "hold your horses" dropping the news of a Mustang-inspired EV after the Model Y unveil.

Am I missing something?
Will we have a chance at two GT packages to choose from (sort of like when I ordered mine back in 2012, like a "regular" GT but then a GT premium?)?
Someone straighten me out on this... so will one GT version have the usual motor in back and a smaller motor up front, and then the faster GT have both big motors front and back, as they've been promoting?

Or will the AWD on GT trims just be based on battery size and range, thus making the two trim levels of GT?

What am I missing here?

I reserved a premium with LR/AWD... but if there is a chance for a cheaper GT, I may want to go that route... to be sure I have two GTs in my garage.

Teach me people.

Screenshot_20191122-204618_Chrome.jpg
Both versions have the two big motors. The base GT goes 0-60 in under 4 seconds. There is a performance package that brings that time down to mid 3 seconds. It doesn’t specify what the performance package contains (probably at least the upgraded suspension and brakes). I suspect it’s something that allows more of the car’s power to be used (each of the two engines produces 284 hp, but the base GT is only rated for 459 hp. I believe a Ford exec said that some of the vehicles components prevented full power output.). The base GT is $60,500.

Last edited:

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Ok... so wasn't imagining things then... there will be two GT variants, one a 'base' and one a performance model... but they obviously only have one on the site now for reserving... Hmmm. Ok, not sure how that slipped by but admittedly, I've been consuming a lot of Mach-E news since Sunday, so I was bound to get a little confused...

But the base GT 'goes 0-60 in under 4 seconds' but the performance version is 'mid 3 seconds'... so, isn't 'under 4 seconds' around 3.5 seconds? I'm not sure I could justify the performance for 3.5 and the 'base is "only" a slow, 3.8...
But this difference between the Base and the Performance will have the same LR, HO battery and the same motors front and back but it will a different way the battery can discharge?

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Ok... so wasn't imagining things then... there will be two GT variants, one a 'base' and one a performance model... but they obviously only have one on the site now for reserving... Hmmm. Ok, not sure how that slipped by but admittedly, I've been consuming a lot of Mach-E news since Sunday, so I was bound to get a little confused...

But the base GT 'goes 0-60 in under 4 seconds' but the performance version is 'mid 3 seconds'... so, isn't 'under 4 seconds' around 3.5 seconds? I'm not sure I could justify the performance for 3.5 and the 'base is "only" a slow, 3.8...
But this difference between the Base and the Performance will have the same LR, HO battery and the same motors front and back but it will a different way the battery can discharge?
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I don’t know if it’s considered two different trims (which is why there is only one version to reserve). I think the performance package is an added on option. It’s probably more than just a half a second quicker 0-60. It probably includes the upgraded suspension, brakes, etc, which impact how it drives. I think it will also reduce the range from 250 to 235 (which is why you see different amounts referenced on Ford’s website). Not sure about the battery discharge question?

Ericc B

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT Fastback (a real Mustang)
Country flag
I have been to Europe and I saw a Mustang coupe next to never.
When was this if I may ask? Since Ford started selling them in Europe in late 2015 sales have been in the tens of thousands per year. Obviously after 51 years of not having been available that is not putting them on each street corner, but it has been a huge sales succes. And not the starter versions either. In countries like the UK and Germany 90% of all sales are GT's. That's actually double the ratio compared to the US.

For them there won't be any confusion and they can just call it a Mustang, same in China.
I'm afraid you are mistaken here. Everybody around the world who knows what a car is knows what a Mustang is. It is the most recognized nameplate on the planet. Enthusiasts over here are just as upset over the use of the name as they are in the US.
Sponsored