Phone as a Key (PaaK) Troubleshooting Experience / Data Points

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
After getting the MME less than a week ago, I am still having issues with PaaK connectivity. During PaaK setup, everything was noted as a success. My FordPass app even says that the phone is connected. I also have the app opened with the phone in my hand as i approach the car, but when i press on the door open button at the driver's door frame, nothing happens other than some clicking noise from the front of the car. The door doesn't open. The clicking noise maybe due to the car partially "waking up" as the door button is being pushed.

My FordPass app can remotely open the door (if I use the app's unlock button instead of the physical button at the door frame). With the physical button as I approach the car, i was only successful in unlocking the door once ever. My phone also works fine with the infotainment system via Bluetooth, but I know this is a different bluetooth connection from PaaK. Just as another data point, my phone works perfectly fine as a key to a family member's Tesla. I thought maybe the Tesla app has an interference, but I forced close it in systems and made sure nothing related to it is running; however, the PaaK issue with my MME still exists.

So I call a Ford Guide to troubleshoot. He was really nice about it and said MME is a new model and they are always working to address new issues. Somehow, we got disconnected, and I ended up with a different Guide support rep when I called back. She walked me through resetting all keys and re-setup my phone for PaaK. Setup was noted as successful, but the problem still persist (cannot unlock door as I approach the car).

Finally, the Guide said there is a list of supported devices, which has mostly iPhone and Samsung models. My phone, a relatively new Motorola One Android phone, isn't on the supported list. In fact, no Motorola phone is on the list. There's a couple of OnePlus devices and a few others that are not as common in the US (i.e. Huawei) on that list. I asked if she can send me the list, but she said she is unable to. She also doesn't know if that list is published anywhere (my eyes were rolling at that point). After the call, I google searched for a list of supported devices for Ford's PaaK and only found the following requirements from Ford (which my phone meets):

Technical requirements
  • Apple® iPhone® 5s or newer with Apple iOS 13 or newer.
  • Android™ Smartphone with Android OS 8.0 or newer.
  • Smartphone must have at least Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) version 4.2.
  • Bluetooth® must be turned on at all times to operate correctly.
  • The FordPass™ App (version 2.12 or newer) must be installed and running on your smartphone with an active account.
  • FordPass™ Connect (modem) and Phone As A Key both must be activated prior to the first use of Phone As A Key.
  • With the vehicle in sight, the Bluetooth signal must be within 130 feet (40 meters) to authorize the smartphone for use.

A family member's iPhone (which has the Tesla app as well) was able to connect to my MME and enter the car with PaaK, which confirms that it's a phone issue and not a conflict with the Tesla app.

The troubleshooting experience has been a bit frustrating, particularly...
-Why isn't Motorola phones supported (my phone model meets all of the listed requirements)
-Why isn't the supported phone list advertised? It would have been nice to know before buying the car.
-Ford's PaaK implementation doesn't seem to work as well as Tesla's. I hate to compare, but if a better technological interface is better, why doesn't Ford uses it?
-Getting one key fob is fine if my phone works for PaaK, but now I am thinking about getting another key fob. It's still cheaper than getting an iPhone/Samsung, but the dealerships are charging ~$150 to program it (fob not included). Independent auto locksmiths don't seem to have the updated software to support MME since its a new model.

It would be good to get additional feedback from Ford and perhaps they can look into why Motorola Android phones are not on the list. @Ford Team

So if anyone is having issue with their PaaK, please note that you are not the only one and your phone may not be on this unpublished list of supported phones.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Two important tests you haven't described:
  • Does your phone work as PaaK to open any doors (you only mention driver's door)?
  • Does the fob work fine on all doors?

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Two important tests you haven't described:
  • Does your phone work as PaaK to open any doors (you only mention driver's door)?
  • Does the fob work fine on all doors?
Thanks for the notes. PaaK doesn't work on any doors. Fob works on all doors.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Nope, just bought the car less than a week ago. Haven't been back to the dealership. I read on the forum that someone got the SSM done and it didn't help. Will look further into it.
Right, but we've only heard from one person who's gotten the update so far, so there's not enough evidence yet.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks for the notes. PaaK doesn't work on any doors. Fob works on all doors.
Definitely sounds like an unsupported phone.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Hi @jnthn98, any updates on your situation? I'm having "unsupported phone" issues as well with my Sony and Microsoft devices: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/issue-setting-up-paak.7227/

Like you, I'm also annoyed that this compatibility list isn't public, and wasn't communicated to us before purchase.

Also, most Android phones use pretty standard SoCs now, which includes the Bluetooth stack and drivers from the SoC vendor - in my case, it would be the flagship chips from their respective model years: the Snapdragon 855 and 865. I don't know why @Ford Team can't issue a catch-all profile and give us a warning about potential compatibility issues.

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Hi @jnthn98, any updates on your situation? I'm having "unsupported phone" issues as well with my Sony and Microsoft devices: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/issue-setting-up-paak.7227/

Like you, I'm also annoyed that this compatibility list isn't public, and wasn't communicated to us before purchase.

Also, most Android phones use pretty standard SoCs now, which includes the Bluetooth stack and drivers from the SoC vendor - in my case, it would be the flagship chips from their respective model years: the Snapdragon 855 and 865. I don't know why @Ford Team can't issue a catch-all profile and give us a warning about potential compatibility issues.
Unfortunately, no positive updates. I brought my car into the dealership for SSM 49730. I removed my phone and re-setup PaaK, but it didn't help. Almost given up here. Feels like a step back from Tesla's phone key implementation. Just waiting for my local locksmith to get the software to program my second MME fob for less than what local dealerships charges ($150-160) just for programming.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Unfortunately, no positive updates. I brought my car into the dealership for SSM 49730. I removed my phone and re-setup PaaK, but it didn't help. Almost given up here. Feels like a step back from Tesla's phone key implementation. Just waiting for my local locksmith to get the software to program my second MME fob for less than what local dealerships charges ($150-160) just for programming.
Ugh :( And one last question: are you able to get through the initial steps of setting up the phone as a key (where you re-enter your FordPass credentials and it downloads the key to your phone), or does it error out before that? Thanks!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After getting the MME less than a week ago, I am still having issues with PaaK connectivity. During PaaK setup, everything was noted as a success. My FordPass app even says that the phone is connected. I also have the app opened with the phone in my hand as i approach the car, but when i press on the door open button at the driver's door frame, nothing happens other than some clicking noise from the front of the car. The door doesn't open. The clicking noise maybe due to the car partially "waking up" as the door button is being pushed.

My FordPass app can remotely open the door (if I use the app's unlock button instead of the physical button at the door frame). With the physical button as I approach the car, i was only successful in unlocking the door once ever. My phone also works fine with the infotainment system via Bluetooth, but I know this is a different bluetooth connection from PaaK. Just as another data point, my phone works perfectly fine as a key to a family member's Tesla. I thought maybe the Tesla app has an interference, but I forced close it in systems and made sure nothing related to it is running; however, the PaaK issue with my MME still exists.

So I call a Ford Guide to troubleshoot. He was really nice about it and said MME is a new model and they are always working to address new issues. Somehow, we got disconnected, and I ended up with a different Guide support rep when I called back. She walked me through resetting all keys and re-setup my phone for PaaK. Setup was noted as successful, but the problem still persist (cannot unlock door as I approach the car).

Finally, the Guide said there is a list of supported devices, which has mostly iPhone and Samsung models. My phone, a relatively new Motorola One Android phone, isn't on the supported list. In fact, no Motorola phone is on the list. There's a couple of OnePlus devices and a few others that are not as common in the US (i.e. Huawei) on that list. I asked if she can send me the list, but she said she is unable to. She also doesn't know if that list is published anywhere (my eyes were rolling at that point). After the call, I google searched for a list of supported devices for Ford's PaaK and only found the following requirements from Ford (which my phone meets):

Technical requirements
  • Apple® iPhone® 5s or newer with Apple iOS 13 or newer.
  • Android™ Smartphone with Android OS 8.0 or newer.
  • Smartphone must have at least Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) version 4.2.
  • Bluetooth® must be turned on at all times to operate correctly.
  • The FordPass™ App (version 2.12 or newer) must be installed and running on your smartphone with an active account.
  • FordPass™ Connect (modem) and Phone As A Key both must be activated prior to the first use of Phone As A Key.
  • With the vehicle in sight, the Bluetooth signal must be within 130 feet (40 meters) to authorize the smartphone for use.

A family member's iPhone (which has the Tesla app as well) was able to connect to my MME and enter the car with PaaK, which confirms that it's a phone issue and not a conflict with the Tesla app.

The troubleshooting experience has been a bit frustrating, particularly...
-Why isn't Motorola phones supported (my phone model meets all of the listed requirements)
-Why isn't the supported phone list advertised? It would have been nice to know before buying the car.
-Ford's PaaK implementation doesn't seem to work as well as Tesla's. I hate to compare, but if a better technological interface is better, why doesn't Ford uses it?
-Getting one key fob is fine if my phone works for PaaK, but now I am thinking about getting another key fob. It's still cheaper than getting an iPhone/Samsung, but the dealerships are charging ~$150 to program it (fob not included). Independent auto locksmiths don't seem to have the updated software to support MME since its a new model.

It would be good to get additional feedback from Ford and perhaps they can look into why Motorola Android phones are not on the list. @Ford Team

So if anyone is having issue with their PaaK, please note that you are not the only one and your phone may not be on this unpublished list of supported phones.
Your trouble shooting has determined it is the particular phone not the car. Have you brought this up with your phone manufacture also? There are most likely phones that do not operate well with the tesla OS. Hate to say it. Flag it to Ford and your phone manufacture and use another phone that is currently compatible for right now may be your best bet. One fob can be shared for one car. You did not mention if it detects the phone as key once in, android auto, Bluetooth etc. The clicking sound I think you are right is it waking up and if it does the second push usually opens the door.

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Ugh :( And one last question: are you able to get through the initial steps of setting up the phone as a key (where you re-enter your FordPass credentials and it downloads the key to your phone), or does it error out before that? Thanks!
Everything with the PaaK setup was fine and noted as "successful" by car and phone. Even when I walk up to my car, the car detects my phone (because it turns on the lights for me), but for whatever reason, the door doesn't open when i push the button in the door frame. There were no reported errors.

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Your trouble shooting has determined it is the particular phone not the car. Have you brought this up with your phone manufacture also? There are most likely phones that do not operate well with the tesla OS. Hate to say it. Flag it to Ford and your phone manufacture and use another phone that is currently compatible for right now may be your best bet. One fob can be shared for one car. You did not mention if it detects the phone as key once in, android auto, Bluetooth etc. The clicking sound I think you are right is it waking up and if it does the second push usually opens the door.
Just my two cents / way of thinking:

It's just a strange problem. Being an engineer, I can't help but to feel that Ford didn't test out compatibility as widely as it should have. I have a fairly recent Motorola smartphone running Android 10. It's not an obscure/no-name brand. It meets the phone requirements published by Ford (Android 8+, BLE 4.2+, etc). There was no errors during PaaK setup. Car detects phone as I walk up to the car. It just won't open the door for me no matter how many times I push the button (even with app actively opened and all permissions granted).

Now, if Ford advertised a certain list of supported phones upfront, that would be a different story. However, even if their focus is on the mainstream Samsung Galaxy and iPhones, I've heard people who have newer iPhones also having issues. Along with the related SSM and FSA patches, it does seem like Ford was caught off-guard by compatibility issue that it didn't know when the car was released. One can't help to think that internal supported phone list was composed after Ford started getting feedback instead of one that it had in mind during the design phase.

Just hoping that OTA patch later this year will address the issue. A second fob (one-time ~$200) is definitely cheaper than a new phone ($500+, and may not work again when upgrading to another phone in 2-3 years). That's the direction that I am heading.
Sponsored