Phone as a Key - Unlock doors upon Approach?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I recently heard that the reason they didn't include a frunk button was a safety issue. If you have it in your pocket and accidentally hit the button for the frunk to open and you are driving on the highway at 70 miles an hour, this could be a disaster. Just a thought, and it made sense.
Yes, thereā€˜s a safety issue that has necessitated the disabling of all electronic methods of opening the frunk. This means the button isnā€™t on the fob and the divider negates the need for the escape button to function. We donā€™t know what the safety issue is, but itā€™s not that hitting the button while driving would make the frunk open. That would be disabled over a certain speed for sure. Just like how you canā€™t open the trunk while driving.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe; 2021 MachE AWD ER, Rapid Red
Occupation
Director or Human Resources
Country flag
I have had my MachE for a week and have not been able to get the PAAK to work reliably with my new iPhone 12. It doesn't unlock the doors as you approach, but the lights do go on - sometimes. I think it has to do with the Bluetooth connection. My Bluetooth connection seems to drop randomly when I am driving too.

Also, you can lock your phone in your car when the PAAK is set up. This happened to me over the weekend. I accidentally left my phone in the car and had to go back in the house to get the key fob to get it out. Admittedly, I don't have the door code set up yet, or I am sure that would have worked too. It did bother me that if I had been somewhere without the key fob I could have been in a rough situation.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I recently heard that the reason they didn't include a frunk button was a safety issue. If you have it in your pocket and accidentally hit the button for the frunk to open and you are driving on the highway at 70 miles an hour, this could be a disaster. Just a thought, and it made sense.
Same as pushing reverse at speed. Disabled. Problem solved.

Reactions: UW2

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Same as pushing reverse at speed. Disabled. Problem solved.
OK, a bit off topic, but I wondered what would happen if you spin the drive dial to reverse while driving?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Admittedly, I don't have the door code set up yet, or I am sure that would have worked too. It did bother me that if I had been somewhere without the key fob I could have been in a rough situation.
I strongly suggest that you setup the door and start codes ASAP. Thatā€™s there to prevent you from getting stranded.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I strongly suggest that you setup the door and start codes ASAP. Thatā€™s there to prevent you from getting stranded.
Yes - and if the key fob is left in the car I dont think the car locks but with the phone, if it loses connection then it will likely lock. I dont think the car would have locked up if it still was seeing the PAAK.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Yes - and if the key fob is left in the car I dont think the car locks but with the phone, if it loses connection then it will likely lock. I dont think the car would have locked up if it still was seeing the PAAK.
You can lock the fob in the car. I pressed the lock button on the door pillar. The car honked at me to say 'hey the fob is in here'. I pressed the lock button on the pillar again and the doors locked.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
You can lock the fob in the car. I pressed the lock button on the door pillar. The car honked at me to say 'hey the fob is in here'. I pressed the lock button on the pillar again and the doors locked.
Oh Ok - then more reason to have a good car door number key set up

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Oh Ok - then more reason to have a good car door number key set up
Iā€™ve already had to use my backup start password once. Didnā€™t have the fob and it didnā€™t recognize my PaaK I guess. Was very odd.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
100% If you plan on using PaaK you should set up a door code and backup start code on Day 1.
Even if you don't plan on using PaaK, setting up the codes should happen on Day 1. What if the only fob is misplaced? You can't even enable PaaK or create a start code without the fob, right?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Even if you don't plan on using PaaK, setting up the codes should happen on Day 1. What if the only fob is misplaced? You can't even enable PaaK or create a start code without the fob, right?
You're right it's a good plan either way. I've never added a code to enter the doors on any Ford I've owned. This is the first time. I would always just snap a photo of the code card when we took delivery (mark the photo as a favorite for easy reference). But I never used the codes to actually get in the vehicle.

Yes, you need the fob to setup the backup start code.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
You folks convinced me that I'm immediately buying a second fob and never using PaaK. My wife isn't tech saavy, and no way in hades and I going to sleep at night of the thought of her in a dark parking lot fiddling and staring at her phone restarting the damn thing to open her car door. This is completely unacceptable. I know you guys/gals are going to say, give it a try and OTA and all that jazz, but seriously think about this for a moment -- this needs to work FLAWLESSLY 100% of the time. Not 99.999% of the time, 100% of the time.
Sponsored