Phone as a Key - Unlock doors upon Approach?

occhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I've had my premium AWD ext for 2 days now. I'd say it works 90% of the time. There are some instances where I've got to fire up the ford pass app. I've also noticed yesterday it let me in the door, then complained I didn't have the key to start the car. But after 5-8 seconds, it overlooked that issue.
Sponsored

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
iPhone12 here. I’ve been about 60% successful with PAAK (granted this is my 2nd day of ownership). Have had FordPass always in background, and even had instances where I opened the app while standing next to the car and nothing.

I suspect this will be like my Garmin watch. Every few days, I have to turn Bluetooth off then back on to get it to reconnect and function properly. Sure hoping an OTA update will make this more reliable some day.... (and that the car has the proper hardware to take advantage of future/up and coming techs)

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I've had two PaaK fails. The first time I rebooted my phone and that fixed it. The 2nd time I just toggled the Bluetooth off on the phone for a few seconds, then back on ... and that fixed it (without needing to reboot the whole thing). I also quit and re-launched Ford Pass app.

Seems like something is hanging in the Bluetooth connection between phone & car and re-starting Bluetooth fixes it. Seems like this should be fixable with a software update.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Paak is unstable and unreliable. Most of the time, Paak will allow me to get in the car but often it won't let me start the car. The dashboard display indicates that no key is present and the large display asks me to enter my passcode. This is unacceptable when I am attempting a quick get-away. Also, when I try to demonstrate opening the rear hatch with a kick, it fails most of the time with Paak. I may need the extra exercise, but kicking multiple times becomes embarrassing when trying to demonstrate the hands-free hatch opening feature of my MME. Ford, build more robust systems, please.

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Anyone else have issues with auto lock on walkaway with PaaK? 3 times I've gotten back to my car after working all day and the mirrors are already unfolded. The mirrors should only unfold when the car is unlocked. It would help if FordPass app would show if the car is locked or not.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Anyone else have issues with auto lock on walkaway with PaaK? 3 times I've gotten back to my car after working all day and the mirrors are already unfolded. The mirrors should only unfold when the car is unlocked. It would help if FordPass app would show if the car is locked or not.
I have had the car only for couple of days but been in and out of it many times and it has worked all the time.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've had my premium AWD ext for 2 days now. I'd say it works 90% of the time. There are some instances where I've got to fire up the ford pass app. I've also noticed yesterday it let me in the door, then complained I didn't have the key to start the car. But after 5-8 seconds, it overlooked that issue.
I’ve found it’s happiest when the phone is in the tray, charging wirelessly.

mcmogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Prem AWD SR, 2014 Escape SE, 2017 Fiesta ST
Country flag
Paak is unstable and unreliable. Most of the time, Paak will allow me to get in the car but often it won't let me start the car. The dashboard display indicates that no key is present and the large display asks me to enter my passcode. This is unacceptable when I am attempting a quick get-away. Also, when I try to demonstrate opening the rear hatch with a kick, it fails most of the time with Paak. I may need the extra exercise, but kicking multiple times becomes embarrassing when trying to demonstrate the hands-free hatch opening feature of my MME. Ford, build more robust systems, please.
I have been having the same problem with the lift gate! I have had the car for almost a month and just this week it started acting up. Everytime I wave my leg under it, I get nothing. I've tried with the car locked and unlocked, car turned on and off. Then it will randomly work.

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Can I ask what people expect “Auto Unlock as Approach” means? I think people have different expectations.

I take it to mean that when I approach the car it wakes up, turns on the welcome lights, and disarms the alarm. I don’t expect it to unlock the door until I hit the button on the car, and it pushes the door open.

Are people expecting to pull the door handle and it opens?

Sometime it doesn’t recognize me as I walk up, but I hit the unlock button once to wake it up. Then it will recognize me, and hitting it again will open the door.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Can I ask what people expect “Auto Unlock as Approach” means? I think people have different expectations.

I take it to mean that when I approach the car it wakes up, turns on the welcome lights, and disarms the alarm. I don’t expect it to unlock the door until I hit the button on the car, and it pushes the door open.

Are people expecting to pull the door handle and it opens?

Sometime it doesn’t recognize me as I walk up, but I hit the unlock button once to wake it up. Then it will recognize me, and hitting it again will open the door.
I'm experiencing exactly what you describe. It used to work reliably with PaaK, now it rarely does.

Last edited:

mcmogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Prem AWD SR, 2014 Escape SE, 2017 Fiesta ST
Country flag
I'm expecting exactly what you describe. It used to work reliably with PaaK, now it rarely does.
Same. Although every once in a while it does recognize me and I get to see those pony lights on the ground. The majority of the time however, I have to kill the app, re-open it, and hold the "unlock" button while I am standing right next to the car.

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Neither Paak or the Fob unlock the doors when I approach, I have to hit the unlock button the the Fob.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Neither Paak or the Fob unlock the doors when I approach, I have to hit the unlock button the the Fob.
Help me understand what you are saying here. When you approach the car with fob or PaaK does the little white ring around the door pillar button light up? When you press the button does the door pop open?

If the answer is yes, the door is unlocking. If you have to press unlock on the fob the car is malfunctioning.

Clicker

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been having the same problem with the lift gate! I have had the car for almost a month and just this week it started acting up. Everytime I wave my leg under it, I get nothing. I've tried with the car locked and unlocked, car turned on and off. Then it will randomly work.
Try not "waving" your foot it's supposed to be a kicking motion.
Sponsored