Phone as key - key not detected (when driving! :P)

jericho

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
c8, Red '21 FE Mach E (traded), '23 Red GT
Country flag
ok, i think the phone as key is one of the most convenient features available on the MME. Tesla folks take it for granted, so i was more than happy to hop on this train. However, today, while driving, the driver dash lit up with "key not detected" error box while i was driving (it had sensed the phone correctly on approach of the car, and inside the car, it seemed to sense it only when i place the phone in the charging pad), Carplay (i have an iphone) connected wirelessly, and everything was good to go... then maybe 5mins after... key not detected...

luckily, it went away after a few panic-inducing minutes - wondering if the car would shut off :)

anyone seen this happen? how do we report bugs to Ford?
Sponsored

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
I’ve seen it multiple times. Usually when my phone is in my left pocket. I haven’t seen it while the phone is on the charge pad.

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
Same thing happens to me. It goes away after a few seconds. Really hoping an update fixes all this because so far none of this is more convenient than the fob.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
ok, i think the phone as key is one of the most convenient features available on the MME. Tesla folks take it for granted, so i was more than happy to hop on this train. However, today, while driving, the driver dash lit up with "key not detected" error box while i was driving (it had sensed the phone correctly on approach of the car, and inside the car, it seemed to sense it only when i place the phone in the charging pad), Carplay (i have an iphone) connected wirelessly, and everything was good to go... then maybe 5mins after... key not detected...

luckily, it went away after a few panic-inducing minutes - wondering if the car would shut off :)

I would suspect the phone before the car. Sounds like your phone is dropping the connection. Maybe too much traffic when using CarPlay wirelessly? How much traffic can bluetooth manage? Is there a limit?

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
I would suspect the phone before the car. Sounds like your phone is dropping the connection. Maybe too much traffic when using CarPlay wirelessly? How much traffic can bluetooth manage? Is there a limit?
CarPlay actually uses WiFi most of the time.

pmoc09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max
Country flag

I'm using Android and run into this issue several times. Maybe the app store is a good place to report the issue.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

To report bugs to Ford - there is a feedback button in the Sync system as well as use the Help page on Ford account website and also Ford is monitoring this forum , so should be added to the thread that has issues listed (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-issues-compilation-list-wiki.3430/page-4#post-119243).

We know atleast @Ford Team is watching this forum.

Last edited:

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This happens every single time for me. I'm pretty sure what is happening is that when you actually start the car, sync connects with bluetooth and overrides the PAAK bluetooth connection. At that point the car can't "See" the PAAK.

The car will run fine when it can't detect a key. Its only needed to start the car. In fact when you turn it off if it still can't see it, it will pop up and tell you that you have like 15 seconds to re-start the car before a key is required to start it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The car will run fine when it can't detect a key. Its only needed to start the car. In fact when you turn it off if it still can't see it, it will pop up and tell you that you have like 15 seconds to re-start the car before a key is required to start it.
this is similar then to what happens in my Fusion today, except it will also complain during driving about "no key [sic] detected"... this happens mainly when the batteries are getting low in the fob and the fob gets flaky as a result. (this literally happened to me less than 7 days ago) but it seems they made the conscious decision not to have the car like just stop or something if the fob "disappears" which is actually really good, I think, safety-wise...

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I “think” it happens when the Bluetooth connection is broken. I’ve found that to be the case when the car doesn’t open or won’t start with the pop up.

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Having SSM 49730 completed at the dealership corrected this issue for me. I'm not receiving the "No Key Detected" warning any longer.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Having SSM 49730 completed at the dealership corrected this issue for me. I'm not receiving the "No Key Detected" warning any longer.
Why can't they push these sort of updates out to everyone to avoid the dealer. Nothing really changes does it.....

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Why can't they push these sort of updates out to everyone to avoid the dealer. Nothing really changes does it.....
I think they will eventually. It's likely that these little fixes will be packaged up and be included in future OTA updates. I guess it's good that they're giving us the option of having them manually installed individually at the dealer instead of making us wait for the OTA packages to be ready.
Sponsored