TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone heard anything on what sort of internet connectivity the Mach-e screen with have? I think I read it will have its own cell receiver (AT&T, I think), but I'm guessing that will require a subscription fee. Not sure if it will be open to full internet capability for apps, or just controlled functions like mapping and navigation.

I wonder if it can use the cell phone in tether-like mode?
Sponsored

pb3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKX, Toyota 4Runner, MME Premium AWD ER (order accepted!)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting question. You’d think that all the basic data would be free. I mean, how can you drive the car and access nav, route planning, and EA charging network locations without data? Oh, and what about OTA updates/upgrades and whatever Ford is calling 911 Assist nowadays.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
MyFordTouch could tether through Bluetooth (two ways!) and supported USB modems (*). I actually don't know what Sync 3 supports?

If the provider is from AT&T and I can just add it to my existing coverage, I'd probably do it, if they treat it as like a tablet (so $15/month). Assuming it's actually adding real value, anyway.

(*) for one of two models - one of which I bought on eBay just last week but haven't actually tried yet

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There have been several articles that FordPass connect is now free. I am assuming the normal connections for the MME will be free with the car too. But I don’t think you’ll be able to watch Netflix on that screen. Will they allow you to use it as a hotspot though? Good question. https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabu...-connect-goes-fee-free-for-life/#5874f9f4185d
I was thinking more "Hey Google" types of searches. And maybe streaming music/podcasts/etc.

I'm guessing video probably wouldn't be legal in the front seat when the car is being driven.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I was thinking more "Hey Google" types of searches. And maybe streaming music/podcasts/etc.

I'm guessing video probably wouldn't be legal in the front seat when the car is being driven.
Hey Google would go through your phone, if you've enabled it. The car's no-cost data connection is used for the car's connected services like navigation and OTA updates.

For a monthly fee with AT&T, you can enable the car to be a mobile hotspot for your other devices.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Google would go through your phone, if you've enabled it. The car's no-cost data connection is used for the car's connected services like navigation and OTA updates.

For a monthly fee with AT&T, you can enable the car to be a mobile hotspot for your other devices.
I'd prefer to use the (hopefully superior) voice mic and louder speakers in the MME for Hey Google (or OK Ford) than the cell phone directly.

I know the nav system uses the internal internet, but wasn't sure if other apps and features do.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
From Page 3 of the Order Guide:
  • FordPass ConnectTM
    — 4G LTE Wi-Fi hot spot connects up to 10 devices4
    • — Remotely start, lock and unlock vehicle5
    • — Schedule specific times to remotely start vehicle5
    • — Locate parked vehicle5
    • — Check vehicle status5
Note:
Ford TelematicsTM and Data Services Prep included for Fleet ONLY: FordPass ConnectTM 4G Wi-Fi Modem provides data to support telematics and data services including but not limited to vehicle location, speed, idle time, fuel, vehicle diagnostics and maintenance alerts. Device enables telematics services through Ford or authorized providers. Activate atwww.fleet.ford.com or call 833-FCS-Ford. (833-327-3673)
  1. 4 Wi-Fi hotspot includes wireless data trial that begins upon AT&T activation and expires at the end of 3 months or when 3GB of data is used, whichever comes first, but cannot extend beyond the trial subscription period for remote features. To activate, go to www.att.com/ford
  2. 5 FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the Ford Pass App., and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

Attachments

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'd prefer to use the (hopefully superior) voice mic and louder speakers in the MME for Hey Google (or OK Ford) than the cell phone directly.
That's how it works on my current car since the phone is connected via Bluetooth. Maybe it will be the same on MME? Of course, I nearly always have the phone as my audio source, too -- not sure if it matters since I haven't tested other ways.

A few years back, Ford provided an update to MFT (SYNC 2) that enabled the steering wheel control to activate Siri. But that's all. Since I have Android (and Windows Phone prior to that), I have to shout "hey Google," or pinch the sides of the phone to initiate it to listen.
Sponsored