Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
I picked up my Mustang on Monday. It was originally ordered in April and manufactured in late July, but then held up for apparent chip shortage issues. The dealer provided me with a modest discount because of the delay (I actually had a different one on order that arrived earlier and I allowed it to be sold to someone else--decided that I preferred the silver exterior to white). The dealer also applied the Ford X-plan.

It's a premium, 4WD, ER with black interior.

The photo below shows its first plug-in at a public charging station. Interestingly, this particular station (outside a Kohl department store) doesn't show up on the network, nor on most map sites. It does show up, however, on the PlugShare app. The sign in front of the two available stations says something about getting a card from Kohls at their service desk--something the service folks knew nothing about. I was able to connect through the ChargePoint app. Since this charge point is the nearest to my home, I figured it would be good to get to know it!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Picked up my Mach-e on Monday Thomz Mach-E

I'm still using 120volts at home, which has been working reasonably well. I'm awaiting an electrician to set up a 240volt outlet, which should occur the week after Christmas.

The set-up has gone reasonably well, although I'm having a few minor issues:
  • I haven't been able to get it to pair with my garage door opener. My opener is pretty old (a Chamberlain) and the normal pairing sequence doesn't seem to work. As I recall, i had an issue with my wife's Edge a couple of years ago, but eventually got it to work.
  • I haven't been able to get Android Auto to work wirelessly, although it is working fine via USB cable.
  • When I connected my Android phone to the vehicle (back at the dealer) it connected through the FordPass app. It never went through the normal handshake via Bluetooth. When I remove the phone and reconnect, it simply shows up. I'm thinking that this might be the reason that Android Auto isn't working via bluetooth. Any thoughts would be helpful.
  • Available mileage is showing pretty low. I'm limiting my charge to 90 percent and it is showing 177 miles (on an ER battery). That's about 200 miles on a 100 percent charge. I'm assuming that is pretty normal for the winter months (it's been hovering around 32F as of late). If there is a 30 percent winter penalty, that would get me to 285 miles range.
I'm pretty satisfied with the FordPass app so far, although it seems a bit quirky. I haven't completed the "phone as a key" thing yet; not in a big hurry to do so.

Now, I just need to keep the salt off of it. It would have been nice if it had arrived before winter set in!

Thom
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Interesting that you mention getting a discount, and then using X-Plan. The dealer is prohibited from giving you anything below X-Plan, unless he didn't have you sign X-Plan documents.

Pairing with Homelink is a challenge. There's a good thread on it here, I'll look for it and post it if I find it.

OP
OP
ThomF

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
Interesting that you mention getting a discount, and then using X-Plan. The dealer is prohibited from giving you anything below X-Plan, unless he didn't have you sign X-Plan documents.
The X-Plan discount was fairly modest on this vehicle, as was the dealer discount. I applied for the X-Plan directly through Ford--been a shareholder since I worked there as a co-op engineer during college many years ago.

Any help on the Homelink setup would be appreciated.

Thom

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The X-Plan discount was fairly modest on this vehicle, as was the dealer discount. I applied for the X-Plan directly through Ford--been a shareholder since I worked there as a co-op engineer during college many years ago.

Any help on the Homelink setup would be appreciated.

Thom
as for the displayed range being low, there are lots of threads where that is explained. spoiler alert: the displayed range is usually wrong on the low side.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
OP
OP
ThomF

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
Try this: HomeLink help for Ford
https://homelink.com/ford
Terrific, Rick. I got the vehicle's HomeLink garage door opener to work. I used a different transmitter with a fresh battery, and followed the video carefully. I may have not been patient enough in past attempts--had to hold the transmitter button down for 20 seconds or so before the code was accepted. In any case, I'm a happy camper!

Thom

Last edited:

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
That range is spot on for an ER AWD in Winter. Enjoy!

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Beautiful color. Have fun, and it’s such an enjoyable ride!

lonndog

First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf, Prius V, Mach-E (2021 in 2022)
Occupation
SW CI/CD
Country flag
Just like ours, except you: AWD, us: RWD. In production now, one of the last 2021s. Can't wait, congrats to you!

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Closest public charger to my house is also located at Kohl’s. I have tried it once using my Chargepoint account. Might need to use it this week because my driveway is getting resurfaced and I wont be able to pull the car into the garage to charge.

El Colonel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Defense
Country flag
I picked up my Mustang on Monday. It was originally ordered in April and manufactured in late July, but then held up for apparent chip shortage issues. The dealer provided me with a modest discount because of the delay (I actually had a different one on order that arrived earlier and I allowed it to be sold to someone else--decided that I preferred the silver exterior to white). The dealer also applied the Ford X-plan.

The photo below shows its first plug-in at a public charging station. Interestingly, this particular station (outside a Kohl department store) doesn't show up on the network, nor on most map sites. It does show up, however, on the PlugShare app. The sign in front of the two available stations says something about getting a card from Kohls at their service desk--something the service folks knew nothing about. I was able to connect through the ChargePoint app. Since this charge point is the nearest to my home, I figured it would be good to get to know it!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Picked up my Mach-e on Monday IMG_2804

I'm still using 120volts at home, which has been working reasonably well. I'm awaiting an electrician to set up a 240volt outlet, which should occur the week after Christmas.

• I haven't been able to get it to pair with my garage door opener. My opener is pretty old (a Chamberlain) and the normal pairing sequence doesn't seem to work. As I recall, i had an issue with my wife's Edge a couple of years ago, but eventually got it to work.
  • I haven't been able to get Android Auto to work wirelessly, although it is working fine via USB cable.
  • When I connected my Android phone to the vehicle (back at the dealer) it connected through the FordPass app. It never went through the normal handshake via Bluetooth. When I remove the phone and reconnect, it simply shows up. I'm thinking that this might be the reason that Android Auto isn't working via bluetooth. Any thoughts would be helpful.
  • Available mileage is showing pretty low. I'm limiting my charge to 90 percent and it is showing 177 miles (on an ER battery). That's about 200 miles on a 100 percent charge. I'm assuming that is pretty normal for the winter months (it's been hovering around 32F as of late). If there is a 30 percent winter penalty, that would get me to 285 miles range.
I'm pretty satisfied with the FordPass app so far, although it seems a bit quirky. I haven't completed the "phone as a key" thing yet; not in a big hurry to do so.

Now, I just need to keep the salt off of it. It would have been nice if it had arrived before winter set in!

Thom
ive has my premium 4X since 19 November. I too only charge to 90% and get a range of approx 180miles. I live in central west Michigan and have had mostly temps is 20s and 30s since buying.

you will love the 240v system. I recommend going with a 60amp breaker that you will be able to use 48volts(60x 0.8) … although the OEM charger is limited to 32 amp, you may want a higher amperage at some point. 240 x 32 amps limits your home charge rate to only 7.68kw per hour. If you get another charger at 48 amp and have a 60 amp breaker you’ll be able to charge at 11.5kw per hour… BUT, I think Ford limits AC to DC charging to 11kW. Regardless that is a lot faster than 7.68. Obviously at a public DC to DC fast charger you can get north of 100kw

ayc5289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Extended Battery eAWD
Country flag
I picked up last Friday and my dealer asked that I not let the battery fall below 50% and no higher than 80% for the first 500 miles. Then, reset my ev driving history and he said the mileage would adjust after battery break in. Figure I give this a try. I too and showing lower mileage right now ( 157 mile range on 71% charge)

Christina

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Picked up my Mach-e on Monday IMG_2804

Thom
I'll respond on the mileage. I was pretty upset when I couldn't get 300 miles when charged to 100% until I understood my driving history+conditioning battery determines what the percentage displays. It took about five full charges before it displayed 300 miles. Then over several months I took several 200+ road trips and found my accelerating (which is fun!), use of cruise control, etc. does affect the history and therefore the percentage that displays when fully charged. Don't worry about the mileage display at 100%, that is more about your history than actual miles available. Enjoy!