Planned trip - how worried should I be about range

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
This weekend my daughter and I are going Skiing and I am debating taking my F150 or our Mach-e GT. I am a little concerned about the range, but maybe I am overthinking it - looking for some feedback

Trip details:

~65 miles each way / 130 miles round trip.
Mostly highway (~72 to 75 mph, some sections at 65mph)
Temp on trip out is expected to be around 10F with about 20F on the return trip
Some driving through snow as I get close to the mountain
Plan to leave at 100% and preconditioned
Assume no charging at the ski mountain or anywhere along the route (other than begging to use an outlet for L1 somewhere)

Vehicle performance so far:
Around town (~35mph) in the cold, I have been seeing ~1.4 to 1.5 mi/kWhr with a non-preconditioned, but remote started car.
Wife has been seeing ~1.8 to 2.2 mi/kWhr on her commutes to work after preconditioning and mostly highway

If I use those numbers, I would be looking at 65mi at ~2mi/kWhr on the way down = ~33kWhr consumed and ~1.4mi/Kwhr consumed on the return trip = ~46kWhr. That should leave me with ~9kWhr (~10%) battery when I get home. Not a lot of buffer - and some of that will be consumed heating the car up after skiing and driving through ~1/2 mile of snow to get in and out of the parking lot.

Am I doing the math right? We did a similar trip a few weeks ago and got much better results (average of 2.0 mi/kWhr for the round trip) , but it wasn't as cold, wasn't as far, and didn't involve any snow.
Sponsored

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’d absolutely be taking the truck if you cannot confirm a way to get L2 charge somewhere.

capnhowdy21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Development Manager
Country flag
You should probably be fine, but I agree with Mach E JT. If you can't be sure there is at least 1 L2 charge station on your route, why risk it. I think its something that as you get more comfortable with the car you'll know what it can and can't do, but for now, better safe then sorry.

Have you tried putting the trip into the car to see what it says?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This weekend my daughter and I are going Skiing and I am debating taking my F150 or our Mach-e GT. I am a little concerned about the range, but maybe I am overthinking it - looking for some feedback

Trip details:

Assume no charging at the ski mountain or anywhere along the route (other than begging to use an outlet for L1 somewhere)

Around town (~35mph) in the cold, I have been seeing ~1.4 to 1.5 mi/kWhr with a non-preconditioned, but remote started car.
Wife has been seeing ~1.8 to 2.2 mi/kWhr on her commutes to work after preconditioning and mostly highway

If I use those numbers, I would be looking at 65mi at ~2mi/kWhr on the way down = ~33kWhr consumed and ~1.4mi/Kwhr consumed on the return trip = ~46kWhr. That should leave me with ~9kWhr (~10%) battery when I get home. Not a lot of buffer - and some of that will be consumed heating the car up after skiing and driving through ~1/2 mile of snow to get in and out of the parking lot.

Am I doing the math right? We did a similar trip a few weeks ago and got much better results (average of 2.0 mi/kWhr for the round trip) , but it wasn't as cold, wasn't as far, and didn't involve any snow.
You're an Engineering Manager and you want us to check your math? o_O

I would assume 1.8 on the way out, and 1.5 on the way back. So figure 1.65 average. And I would NEVER do that drive without knowing that there are L2 outlets along the way just in case. Use PlugShare to see what chargers exist.

TheFDMayor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1899 buick

Trip details:

Are you climbing mountains? If so, I would be worried...I'd be very worried...

I would bring the charger along so you can possibly plug it into a wall outlet at the ski location while you are skiing. I would think that would help get you home.

Nothing like being miles from a charger and having less that 3 percent left...been there...done that...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Are you climbing mountains? If so, I would be worried...I'd be very worried...

I would bring the charger along so you can possibly plug it into a wall outlet at the ski location while you are skiing. I would think that would help get you home.

Nothing like being miles from a charger and having less that 3 percent left...been there...done that...
Pulled into a charger with 2% left.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Thanks all. The ski place has one 14-50 outlet, but it is sketchy and I didn't want to count on it.

Based on the comments I took a harder look in plugshare and it there is a new L3 location that I could hit on the way home if I switch up my route some, so it gives me a backup option (there is also another one abut 10 miles from home, but that would be only in a absolute emergency).

thanks all!

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
You're an Engineering Manager and you want us to check your math? o_O

I would assume 1.8 on the way out, and 1.5 on the way back. So figure 1.65 average. And I would NEVER do that drive without knowing that there are L2 outlets along the way just in case. Use PlugShare to see what chargers exist.
Hey - Peer review is a good thing!

MadCoWK

First Name
Weldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
I'd bet with the net downhill coming back from the ski area, you'd be alright anyway. But certainly nice to have that comfort of an L3 charger option!

Have a great trip!

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I'd bet with the net downhill coming back from the ski area, you'd be alright anyway. But certainly nice to have that comfort of an L3 charger option!

Have a great trip!
Thanks - elevation change isn't that much thankfully. I start at 500' drop down to near sea level, and then back up to 1000' to the base of the slope.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Why not hit that L3 charger on the way up? You probably would not need to be there long and you'd guarantee you could get there and back. You could then ski without worrying about the return trip.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Why not hit that L3 charger on the way up? You probably would not need to be there long and you'd guarantee you could get there and back. You could then ski without worrying about the return trip.
Guess I could, but that charger is only about 30-35 miles from home, so if I start at 100% and preconditioned, I will still be at 80% to 85% when I get there. Very slow charging....

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Well, it was much ado about nothing. Made the trip easy with 31 percent battery remaining when we got home. Average of 2.2 miles per kWhr. Didn't do anything to extend range either. Drove my usual speed on the highways and had climate on the whole time. Wasn't easy on the go pedal either.
Sponsored