Please help me with the basics of updates so I can explain it to my dealer.

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
I've been poring over numerous threads about OTA updates, and also the bunch of folks that are doing firmware updates themselves. My issue is two-fold. (1) I have no background or education in any of this, and (2) when I talk to my dealer's service manager (who is very friendly), he seems not to understand that he should be able to determine if my various modules need updating. I'm sure there is a lot to be done; my car was built January of 2021, and I received it in February 2021 (First edition). Does this make my car a "Job 1" car I see referenced frequently? I did get an OTA update to 1.7.1 months ago, but nothing since. And the last/only time a dealer-applied update was done was when the car was about a month old, and it was failing to home charge (turns out Ford's settings made Chicago area grid home charging unstable)–but all that is fine now. I see posts about FDRS, and see tables about updates available [or not] for all the various modules. How does my service dept. determine which of my modules need updating? Am I correcting in surmising you're hooking up to the diagnostics port under the dashboard and getting all this info? My most recent call was a few days ago, and he was evidently putting my VIN into his system, but reported nothing shows as needing an update (other than the 2 recalls which I've been putting off). Thanks in advance for help & info, and aiming it at a guy with zero background in this area.
Sponsored

Reactions: RLW

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
  1. Yes you are a job 1
  2. There have been OTA updates past 1.7.1 that you should have received.
  3. Make an appointment to have the Customer Satisfaction Plan 21p22 (CSP 21P22) updates done on your car. They should be able to put in your VIN and see that it available. It is a group of 14 modules that need to be updated. Make sure they do ALL 14, ask for proof. https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...gram-21p22-software-calibration-update.11677/
  4. After that you might get OTA 2.1.0 pretty fast, then eventually 2.3.0. That’s the latest one for most of us.
  5. FDRS is the software the dealership uses to do the updates. Some people have just bought a personal license to use it themselves
  6. Yes the updates are through the OBD2 port under the dash, and some via USB.
  7. The dealership will only update modules that Ford has told them to update via a technical service bulletin (TSB), CSP, or other similar communication. When they put in thE VIN for your car more updates will most likely come up, but they will only do the ones they are authorized to bill ford for, and even then some try to get out of it.
    Look here to see what applies to your car and get them all done. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/index-of-power-ups-tsbs-recalls-and-ssms.12487/unread

OP
OP
prius2pony

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  1. Yes you are a job 1
  2. There have been OTA updates past 1.7.1 that you should have received.
  3. Make an appointment to have the Customer Satisfaction Plan 21p22 (CSP 21P22) updates done on your car. They should be able to put in your VIN and see that it available. It is a group of 14 modules that need to be updated. Make sure they do ALL 14, ask for proof. https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...gram-21p22-software-calibration-update.11677/
  4. After that you might get OTA 2.1.0 pretty fast, then eventually 2.3.0. That’s the latest one for most of us.
  5. FDRS is the software the dealership uses to do the updates. Some people have just bought a personal license to use it themselves
  6. Yes the updates are through the OBD2 port under the dash, and some via USB.
  7. The dealership will only update modules that Ford has told them to update via a technical service bulletin (TSB), CSP, or other similar communication. When they put in thE VIN for your car more updates will most likely come up, but they will only do the ones they are authorized to bill ford for, and even then some try to get out of it.
    Look here to see what applies to your car and get them all done. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/index-of-power-ups-tsbs-recalls-and-ssms.12487/unread
This is VERY helpful! Can you spell out what SSM means?

OP
OP
prius2pony

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  1. The dealership will only update modules that Ford has told them to update via a technical service bulletin (TSB), CSP, or other similar communication. When they put in thE VIN for your car more updates will most likely come up, but they will only do the ones they are authorized to bill ford for, and even then some try to get out of it.
OK, having read in to the linked document a bit more, I have these questions:
1. Can I assume that if I need all the 21P22 updates done, that's likely an all-day appointment?
2. It looks like I need to look over the linked list of TBSs and SSMs, and highlight for my service guy those issues which I have actually experienced problems with, and they should address those per this e bulletins, while disregarding things that I have not had any negative experiences with. Is this about right?
3. I've directly messaged Neil4Real on this forum–he seems to have looked up some users' reports with FDRS. I've asked him if he would do the for me so I can show my dealer the list of updates I need. Is this also a good/right approach?
Thank you in advance.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
OK, having read in to the linked document a bit more, I have these questions:
1. Can I assume that if I need all the 21P22 updates done, that's likely an all-day appointment?
2. It looks like I need to look over the linked list of TBSs and SSMs, and highlight for my service guy those issues which I have actually experienced problems with, and they should address those per this e bulletins, while disregarding things that I have not had any negative experiences with. Is this about right?
3. I've directly messaged Neil4Real on this forum–he seems to have looked up some users' reports with FDRS. I've asked him if he would do the for me so I can show my dealer the list of updates I need. Is this also a good/right approach?
Thank you in advance.
  1. It should only take about 2 hours to do the CSP, but sometimes there are issues and updates may take a few tries. If you can spare it maybe drop it in the morning and you should get it back in the afternoon.
  2. Definitely go over the list of TSBs, etc. and print out any documentation related to them to present to your dealer. They may try to get out of doing it just on a walk in, but at the very least they should do them when you go in for your 10k or 20k checkup. Look over the modules the different bulletins are supposed to update and make a list for the dealer and ask them for proof from FDRS that they updated all that are required. FDRS keeps a log of everything so they should be able to print or screenshot that. My dealer did 5 of the 12 required updates as part of the CSP and tried to claim they couldn’t do the others. After a 3 round fight in the service department I got them to finish the updates.
  3. Getting a list of available updates from a member on here is a good idea, but know that the dealership will not, and is not required to, do all of them. They will only do the ones that are listen in an applicable TSB, CSP, etc. Even then, they might only do them if you are in for other service. The CSP you should just be able to make an appointment for and have them do any others though. The other benefit of getting a list of available updates now is you can compare it to after. Ask the same person to pull the list again after you’ve had the updates done to confirm the dealership did what they were supposed to. That person will have access to the logs too. Someone on here was kind enough to help me like that.
Sponsored