PLEASE PLEASE bring back option of full vs 3/4 screen in New an UI. individually

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Here’s a perfect example of why bigger CarPlay does NOT equal more usable space and is actually less functional.

Here is CarPlay in its smaller view.
AADE2115-A9B3-43FD-BDF6-EA86C8612ABF.jpeg

The map takes up 39% of the screen, the dock is in the top right section of the screen as well the directions tile and easily viewed at a glance.

Here is CarPlay in its larger view.
F7ED4B53-676F-442B-89A5-EFAB360D1D5E.png

The part of the map where your route is displayed takes up 18% of the screen, or HALF the size of the smaller view. The dock is shoved to the bottom, as well as the directions making you have to look down from the road more.

Bigger is not always better.
And if you would use native navigation with the big tiles, you’d get a big map AND more information 😀

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Unfortunately I think they're forcing such things because the CPU/GPU is trash for the task at hand, particularly in a vehicle of this cost and its competition. Some anally retentive bean counter probably got a small bonus fucking over MME owners by saving the company $50 by using this 7 year old galaxy s7 SOC.

Why small tiles? Well it takes system resources to display additional info, and since the programming team couldn't program their way out of a cardboard box, it's what we get. Right @Ford Motor Company
Normally, I’d buy your premise, BUT we know that they already had less capable software running with tiles that showed information previously, so that doesn’t make sense. We already know the processor (or processors) are capable of that level of multitasking.

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
Please put the volume and even the new knob controls back towards the top of the screen. Having to look down to see the amount takes your eyes off the road. Having it up towards the top at least allows me to somewhat keep my eyes more on the road in my peripheral vision.

DustyShades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Ex Infinite Blue
Country flag
If you use Alexa commands is a great example, difference from taking from phone directly... the pandora and Spotify would be getting the data from the connected services, not from your phone
This one makes the most sense to me, I guess.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
I agree. I don’t understand why they took that option off.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
1. you have just shown why more vertical space would benefit the large layout. it would make the map a lot easier to see.

2. i have confidence that apple is going to greatly improve the carplay UI for larger screens.
If someone can take a screen shot of CarPlay in the new “more vertical space” configuration I’ll do the math. I’d put money on it still being smaller than the current “small” view.

I agree that the poor layout is on Apple, not Ford, but Ford is forcing us to use their bad layout. It does sound like improved handling of larger screens is coming later this year, but who knows if that will actually happen.

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
If someone can take a screen shot of CarPlay in the new “more vertical space” configuration I’ll do the math. I’d put money on it still being smaller than the current “small” view.
it's not just a matter of the overall surface area, but specifically the vertical dimension. The fact that the map is so squashed vertically makes the turns hard to see, and every little bit more vertical space would help with that.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
it's not just a matter of the overall surface area, but specifically the vertical dimension. The fact that the map is so squashed vertically makes the turns hard to see, and every little bit more vertical space would help with that.
I agree. I want to measure how much more space map has on the tiled Home Screen in this new size. Have you gotten the update yet?

TimW

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach -E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hate the changes brought by 4.1.2 maybe I’m just an old dog that likes things the way they were. Agree with comment above — allow toggle of tiles to strip down and too hard to read when driving. Please allow an option to go back to the old interface.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The small infoless tiles are pointless now as i have to distract myself and switch over to a full screen version of tire pressure or trip energy. tiles are pointless and you need to fumble around more now and nav/ Carplay/ android auto can't be used while you get that basic auto information in full screen. Really silly to pull the OPTION of both of the table,,, I understand some don't use the tiles, but I don't need a nav that runs the whole screen either.... it's a simple thing to fix cuz it already worked prior to this update, making everybody happy... bad move Ford, please bring this back, it really takes away from road concentration to have to do this
I fully support this, I liked the tiles and hope Ford brings it back.

I typically default to having my radio as the main window, I don’t need to see all three rows of my presets, I’d much rather see the other summary information you mentioned.

What I don’t understand is, I don’t see any UI change that conflicts with the larger tiles, so why take them out?

On top of that, rather than wishing Ford create something that didn’t exist, Ford had already created the large tiles, so from my lay perspective, it seems they wouldn’t have needed a ton of computer programming resources at corporate to have just maintained an existing feature?

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I fully support this, I liked the tiles and hope Ford brings it back.

I typically default to having my radio as the main window, I don’t need to see all three rows of my presets, I’d much rather see the other summary information you mentioned.

What I don’t understand is, I don’t see any UI change that conflicts with the larger tiles, so why take them out?

On top of that, rather than wishing Ford create something that didn’t exist, Ford had already created the large tiles, so from my lay perspective, it seems they wouldn’t have needed a ton of computer programming resources at corporate to have just maintained an existing feature?
It's less complex now and should help speed up development, bringing that back would just slow down all future updates they are already working on around this new UI.

If Ford brings it back, it would be a HUGE mistake. They need to iterate on the new UI, not bring back old, technical debt.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
It's less complex now and should help speed up development, bringing that back would just slow down all future updates they are already working on around this new UI.

If Ford brings it back, it would be a HUGE mistake. They need to iterate on the new UI, not bring back old, technical debt.
That's... not what technical debt is.
Sponsored