PLEASE PLEASE bring back option of full vs 3/4 screen in New an UI. individually

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
That wasn't changed with this update. If you're in Engage mode with driver assist features turned off (lane keep, cruise, distance indicator), you'll get the blue bar at the bottom of the IPC. If you are in any other drive mode or have any of the driver assist features turned on, the blue bar will disappear and you'll have the battery show up to the left as a percentage. This is how it has worked from the beginning.
I meant the phone’s battery level.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I got the 4.1.2 update today. I don’t like the new layout. It’s making my Apple CarPlay experience a bit different to deal with. I like the recent apps and battery level on the left side rather than the bottom. I also don’t like the landscape map in the overview screen, I liked it when it was portrait on the left side.
I really want to see more info on the bottom tiles. Especially the trip and tire pressure apps.
Yeah, it’s all about options. While previously I was often in expanded screen mode with CarPlay, I’d often switch back when I needed or wanted to see something on a tile or if I needed Apple Maps in portrait mode. Can’t do that now. Less options is less good. ;)

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
I appreciate the fact that the bar with the expand/reduce button isn’t taking up space anymore. But they could have given an option in the Display Settings menu.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I haven't seen this mentioned and I guess it's not relevant to most people... the larger tile for the native navigation showed compass heading, street name and City. This is actually good information in a concise format which has come in handy during road trips. The Carplay apps don't show all that information easily and the combination of Waze and the native large tile was helpful on trips.
Now that is lost.
I mentioned this earlier

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I would like the volume knob display to be consistent with all the other displays using the volume knob in the new UI. Volume is the only display that uses tick marks. The inconsistency is maddening. Don’t people check this kind of stuff before releasing it?

mdm1005

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Select
Country flag
I don't really care whether the tiles are bigger or smaller, but I miss all the functionality that they used to have:
  • The Trip tile showed elapsed time, distance, and energy use -- now I only get energy use
  • The Navigation tile had buttons for home and work -- now I have to do three button presses to get to the same favorites (and I use these every day to find out the length of my commute)
  • The CarPlay tile (which has disappeared completely and is too small at the top of the screen and requires 2 button presses to get to otherwise) had lots of functionality for playing media, interacting with phone calls, etc.
How do we ask/demand/beg Ford to bring back this amazing functionality that we've lost?

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I would like the volume knob display to be consistent with all the other displays using the volume knob in the new UI. Volume is the only display that uses tick marks. The inconsistency is maddening. Don’t people check this kind of stuff before releasing it?
I agree that it's inconsistent, but having been at the other end of this (i.e., designing interfaces), I can see why they'd do that. There are a lot more volume levels than fan/temperature/seat heat levels. I suppose they could use similar boxes to the ones being used for the other settings, just smaller, but maybe they also wanted to imitate detents at different "milestone" volume levels, which is why some of the tick marks are longer.

But, if they didn't mind being inconsistent - they should have just left the volume bar on the top of the screen alone. That's the best design so far, IMO.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I agree that it's inconsistent, but having been at the other end of this (i.e., designing interfaces), I can see why they'd do that. There are a lot more volume levels than fan/temperature/seat heat levels. I suppose they could use similar boxes to the ones being used for the other settings, just smaller, but maybe they also wanted to imitate detents at different "milestone" volume levels, which is why some of the tick marks are longer.

But, if they didn't mind being inconsistent - they should have just left the volume bar on the top of the screen alone. That's the best design so far, IMO.
I thought about that. First, they could have at least kept the accent colors consistent. Second, the gradients aren’t THAT small that they couldn’t have used smaller boxes. Third, if they wanted to make small gradients, they could have just made the volume control appear to move “smoothly” instead of in “steps”.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
🤨 I respectfully disagree.

The media tile may show more, but they are still comically big. Particularly the navigation tile. It could be half the size and still display the same amount of info. The single button on this view is swimming in space.
4E83FFE2-32F9-46CD-B49F-A39A0B21F128.jpeg

Also I now need to look at the bottom right to see if my phone is charging or to switch apps, instead of the top left. So I am taking my eye farther off the road to do things now.
how much of this do you figure is in attempt to push one (really almost every one) to use the Ford Assistant or Alexa?

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So I got 4.1.2 last night and ran the same test.
As a refresher the old “small” CarPlay layout gave you 39% of the screen as a map. The older large layout gave you 18% of the screen as usable map.
The new CarPlay layout which is 200 pixels taller gives you … 19% usable map (proportionally adjust to the new app size). So with this update the map is still less half the size it used to be.

Yay 🥲
1401CC8B-764C-467F-9F43-7FBFA4DB704A.png
I agree that the horizontal nav layout in Carplay's split screen view kinda sucks, and I hope Apple improves this. Though even if Ford still allowed us to "minimize" the Carplay window, I'm not sure we'd still have a vertical nav layout like we did before. I think the minimized Carplay aspect ratio would be slightly different than it was prior to 4.1.2 and who knows how Carplay would choose to format it.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
how much of this do you figure is in attempt to push one (really almost every one) to use the Ford Assistant or Alexa?
I don’t think it has anything to do with that. Nothing in this update will change which assistant I use (Siri in the car, Alexa at home).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t understand why you would be using CarPlay but be playing audio from somewhere else while you’re using CarPlay
Many reasons. For me it's AA but same principle. I love the AA maps and nav, but the native radio/SXM interface. I flip between my presets a lot.

Plus I need to use satellite a lot on our road trips where the cell signal is offen nonexistent.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I agree that the horizontal nav layout in Carplay's split screen view kinda sucks, and I hope Apple improves this. Though even if Ford still allowed us to "minimize" the Carplay window, I'm not sure we'd still have a vertical nav layout like we did before. I think the minimized Carplay aspect ratio would be slightly different than it was prior to 4.1.2 and who knows how Carplay would choose to format it.
You make a good point on that. CarPlay gained an extra 166 vertical pixels in this update. If that tracked to the smaller view it would be 1200x952. The previous large CarPlay view was 1200x1082. So it would really all come down to how Apple would handle that 130 pixel difference. Is that enough to force the horizontal map, or keep the vertical map.
Sponsored