Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
I recently enabled the EVgo Autocharge+ feature on my Mach-E. After setting it up, I was curious how fast it is from the time you plug in the connector until the pulsing blue charging indicator starts. My tests, using my phone's stopwatch shows it's about 9-10 seconds. That is a very acceptable amount of time, in my opinion. I have only tested one station here in the area. I think there's only one other station around here and I will try to test that soon.

I've used Electrify America a lot more on my longer trips and recalling they seemed longer than that, I decided to test some of those stations. So far, I have a much wider range of speeds but overall slower: 15-29 seconds. Usually it's more on the higher end of this range. I hope EA works on improving this.

Summary:
EVSE NetworkTime from plug-in until pulsing blue segment (seconds)
Electrify America15-29
EVgo Autocharge+9-10

Anyone else test this and want to share results? Are there any other Plug and Charge EVSE Networks for the Mach-E?
Sponsored

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
I believe I had about same time with EvGo and EA plug & charge identification and authorization time. The only problem I have that I cannot activate p&c with EA for their membership plus

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
EVgo plug and charge times are similar to what your test shows. It worked perfectly the couple of times I tried it and charged my card seamlessly. Never tried EA after my 250 free kWh were spent as the cost is higher than EVgo where I live. I did deactivate the P&C through FordPass since it would not recognize an EA membership.

OP
OP

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
The only problem I have that I cannot activate p&c with EA for their membership plus
According to others, Ford isn't offering you the ability to enable it yet. And according to their instructions on how to enable it, I guess that's true because the only options I see when I go my Connected Services page is to add a credit card or cancel the service. There is no Upgrade button that's mentioned in their instructions. I wonder if they know that??

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I haven’t timed it, but having used Plug and Charge at EA on multiple occasions over the last month, and having used Autocharge+ on EvGo multiple times during the same period, I would certainly agree that EvGo’s Autocharge+ seems to activate and initiate the Charger much quicker.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Yes, EVgo's autocharge+ does activate a lot faster than EA's P&C. I suspect it has something to do with how the billing is handled. For P&C, EA has to talk to Ford's backend. EVgo's autocharge+ handles everything in its own system - it asks you for your VIN and all, and you get charged by EVgo directly.

OP
OP

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
For P&C, EA has to talk to Ford's backend.
If EVgo can do its own P&C faster, it begs the question, why can't EA without Ford's BlueOval Charge Network?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If EVgo can do its own P&C faster, it begs the question, why can't EA without Ford's BlueOval Charge Network?
The EVGO protocol is not secure, like P&C is. It is susceptible to hacking, if someone could figure out the MAC address of your car. Not very likely though.
It does not use the Vin.
Sponsored