Plug & Charge Fail and the 80% Cliff is Real

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
First the good news. From 12% to 80% took about 45 minutes so about right on target. I was able to start my charging session using Apply Pay on two different units, no charging faults (did not stop after paying until I stopped it). I don't have a membership so it charges $0.43 per kW instead of the member rate at $0.31 per kW.

I activated my Plug & Charge free 250kWH offer in Ford Pass earlier in the day. I drove my car around today until I reached 9% state of charge. Had been driving hard for about 90 minutes before plugging in at an EA station.

I had the car turned off. It was 26 degrees F outside.

When I first plugged in the charger said connecting to vehicle, then it asked me to pay for the charging. I disconnected and moved to another charger, same thing. Decided to just pay for the charging on the 150 kW charger using Apple Pay which worked just fine. Plugged in at 9% and got 55 to 57 kW speed. I let it go to about 12% charge and disconnected. Thinking maybe the station could not put out enough power.

Moved to the 350 charger that I first started at but used the second cord. Plugged in... Plug and Charge failed so I just paid for charging using Apple Pay... started up at 57 kW at 12%. I will add that during the process the kW speed jumped around by a few kW it didn't seem to hold a steady rate. But it never stopped charging.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug & Charge Fail and the 80% Cliff is Real car chargin

Below is the rest of the session data. Sorry for the gaps (had people come up at different times and want to talk about the car). The speed seemed to jump around a bit, this may have been the charger?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug & Charge Fail and the 80% Cliff is Real 1612068141276

Start of the second session:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug & Charge Fail and the 80% Cliff is Real start

Peak Speed of 125 kW:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug & Charge Fail and the 80% Cliff is Real peak speed

80% cliff: 12 kW. I let it go here at this speed for a couple minutes but it did not move off of 80%.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug & Charge Fail and the 80% Cliff is Real 80 percent

End receipt: $0.43 per kWh as guest

Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug & Charge Fail and the 80% Cliff is Real end receipt

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Nice write up, thank you.

Other EV owners: is that the going rate for charging in public stations? It seems about on par with filling up an ICE car, price wise.

Hopefully they figure out the Charge and Pay feature because they touted it pretty hard at the end of last year. It seems like it will eventually be a nice feature

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
First the good news. From 12% to 80% took about 45 minutes so about right on target. I was able to start my charging session using Apply Pay on two different units, no charging faults (did not stop after paying until I stopped it).

I activated my Plug & Charge free 250kWH offer in Ford Pass earlier in the day. I drove my car around today until I reached 9% state of charge. Had been driving hard for about 90 minutes before plugging in at an EA station.

When I first plugged in the charger said connecting to vehicle, then it asked me to pay for the charging. I disconnected and moved to another charger, same thing. Decided to just pay for the charging on the 150 kW charger using Apple Pay which worked just fine. Plugged in at 9% and got 55 to 57 kW speed. I let it go to about 12% charge and disconnected. Thinking maybe the station could not put out enough power.

Moved to the 350 charger that I first started at but used the second cord. Plugged in... Plug and Charge failed so I just paid for charging using Apple Pay... started up at 57 kW at 12%. I will add during the process the kW speed jumped around by a few kW it didn't seem to hold a steady rate. But it never stopped charging.

Below is the rest of the session data. Sorry for the gaps (had people come up at different times and want to talk about the car). The speed seemed to jump around a bit, this may have been the charger?

Peak Speed of 125 kW:

80% cliff: 12 kW. I let it go here at this speed for a couple minutes but it did not move off of 80%.

Wow, that’s not cheap. So not only didnt the 250KW free work, but the plug and charge and FordPass pricing didn’t work. EA and Ford have some work to do.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, that’s not cheap. So not only didnt the 250KW free work, but the plug and charge and FordPass pricing didn’t work. EA and Ford have some work to do.
I updated the post. That is the non-member guest rate of $0.43 I didn't sign up for a membership yet to get the $0.31 rate.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I updated the post. That is the non-member guest rate of $0.43 I didn't sign up for a membership yet to get the $0.31 rate.
But you shouldn’t have to sign up with Fordpass. At least that was my understanding.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But you shouldn’t have to sign up with Fordpass. At least that was my understanding.
The chargers did not recognize the car. Since the Plug and Charge failed the chargers must have thought I was a guest customer.

Next time I’ll try to activate via the Ford Pass app.

Last edited:

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
First the good news. From 12% to 80% took about 45 minutes so about right on target. I was able to start my charging session using Apply Pay on two different units, no charging faults (did not stop after paying until I stopped it). I don't have a membership so it charges $0.43 per kW instead of the member rate at $0.31 per kW.

Moved to the 350 charger that I first started at but used the second cord. Plugged in... Plug and Charge failed so I just paid for charging using Apple Pay... started up at 57 kW at 12%. I will add during the process the kW speed jumped around by a few kW it didn't seem to hold a steady rate. But it never stopped charging.

Peak Speed of 125 kW:

Thanks @hybrid2bev, great information! Hoping that first OTA is a bigger one, with some improvements to the charging curve, 80% plateau, and fixes to P&C.

I'm guessing you don't see any way to link your EA account to FordPass yet? Until P&C is working correctly, we won't know how that will work I suppose...

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I was hoping the "FordPass Charging Network membership" included the Electrify America Pass+ $0.31 rate. I guess I'll have to turn Plug&Charge off and get my $0.31/kWh.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
yes, HOLY MOLY! A gallon of gas is about 33.7 KHw equivalent, so a charge of $29.63 USD for 65 KWh ends up costing approximately $15.36 USD per gallon-of-gas equivalent! So much for EVs being cheaper than ICE (on public charging at least).

Maths
65 KWhs delivered / 33.7 KWhs gallon gas equivalent = 1.929 gallons of gas equivalent
$29.63 USD charged / 1.929 gallons of gas equivalent = $15.36 USD per gallon

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Thanks @hybrid2bev, great information! Hoping that first OTA is a bigger one, with some improvements to the charging curve, 80% plateau, and fixes to P&C.

I'm guessing you don't see any way to link your EA account to FordPass yet? Until P&C is working correctly, we won't know how that will work I suppose...
Agreed, I hope the 80% cliff is fixed ASAP. Sometimes we really need more than 80% at DCFC, and there isn't always a L2 AC charger nearby to hop over to and save money if we're limited to the 12 kW.

P&C is one of the biggest selling points of the entire "Tesla rival" thing of this car .It has to work 100% of the time. I hope they're working weekends bug fixing these P&C failures.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I don’t have an account directly with EA. I thought about it afterwards that I could try activating the charger via Ford Pass. Maybe that will work differently?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
yes, HOLY MOLY! A gallon of gas is about 33.7 KHw equivalent, so a charge of $29.63 USD for 65 KWh ends up costing approximately $15.36 USD per gallon-of-gas equivalent! So much for EVs being cheaper than ICE (on public charging at least).

Maths
65 KWhs delivered / 33.7 KWhs gallon gas equivalent = 1.929 gallons of gas equivalent
$29.63 USD charged / 1.929 gallons of gas equivalent = $15.36 USD per gallon
It's 40% more expensive than the member rate would be. I presume Ford's "membership" includes the EA member rate, if not we're able to sign up for our own EA accounts and get it for $0.31/kWh.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
It's 40% more expensive than the member rate would be. I presume Ford's "membership" includes the EA member rate, if not we're able to sign up for our own EA accounts and get it for $0.31/kWh.
Ok, re-doing the Maths with that assumption:

65 KWHs delivered at $0.31 USD per KWh = $20.15

Reverse-engineering the tax from the OP's screenshot is $1.68 / $27.95 = 6%.

$20.15 + $1.21 tax = $21.36 total

$21.36 / 1.929 = $11.07 USD per gallon-of-gas equivalent. Still, what, 3 - 4x current price of gasoline (in the US) at the time of this post. Ouch.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Ok, re-doing the Maths with that assumption:

65 KWHs delivered at $0.31 USD per KWh = $20.15

Reverse-engineering the tax from the OP's screenshot is $1.68 / $27.95 = 6%.

$20.15 + $1.21 tax = $21.36 total

$21.36 / 1.929 = $11.07 USD per gallon-of-gas equivalent. Still, what, 3 - 4x current price of gasoline (in the US) at the time of this post. Ouch.
DCFC is a premium product, especially at Electrify America. Those stations cost into the six digits, they need to be paid for somehow.

Home charging is the "regular gas" and DCFC is like a gas station that only vends premium.
Sponsored