FirstBEV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus, ordered Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Yep, well-known issue with all fixed-rate car registrations.

The problem with tracking mileage, of course is the implementation. How to prevent cheating, how to charge all drivers (not just those that live locally), privacy issues if tracking by GPS, administative cost, etc.
I like the idea of paying based on mileage. However, if we’re trying to charge the people who over time damage the roads, we need to charge freight trucks. With their heavy loads, they contribute significantly to road wear. And they find ways to register in states that are cheaper or not the states where they are driving. We could just tax everyone to pay for the roads, but the people who don’t drive would say that’s not fair. However, everyone buys goods that are transported over interstate highways. But who knows what the best option is.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I like the idea of paying based on mileage. However, if we’re trying to charge the people who over time damage the roads, we need to charge freight trucks. With their heavy loads, they contribute significantly to road wear. And they find ways to register in states that are cheaper or not the states where they are driving. We could just tax everyone to pay for the roads, but the people who don’t drive would say that’s not fair. However, everyone buys goods that are transported over interstate highways. But who knows what the best option is.
With the wide adoption of technologies like high speed EZPASS, I wouldn't be surprised to see all major highways having tolls on them eventually. Then everyone that uses the road pays for it

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The big, big question of the day is... Why aren't major, membership-only stores (e.g., Costco) with huge gasoline/diesel stations throughout the country offering discounted (or any) DCFC yet for EVs? Costco has many, many shoppers w/EVs that spend about 60+ min inside. Where's the juice, man?
Some Sam's Clubs have them (presumably an extension of the EA-Walmart connection). The one we'll use in Grand Junction CO along I-70 is located at Sam's Club rather than Walmart. (Although unfortunately it's about 10 minutes off the interstate rather than right along it.)

But speaking to your broader point, a lot of it comes down to location, particularly proximity to interstates. Most locals will charge at home. DCFC is especially important for travelers passing through. Making proximity to major interstate interchanges of highest priority.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With the wide adoption of technologies like high speed EZPASS, I wouldn't be surprised to see all major highways having tolls on them eventually. Then everyone that uses the road pays for it
That has it's own problems too. Like high administrative costs. And pushing a lot of traffic onto alternate routes, loading them up as people look to avoid paying tolls.

But yes, we're already seeing more toll roads/lanes. Many of the (badly-needed) highway expansions around here have been in the form of tolled express lanes, since state gas tax revenue has been dwindling for decades. More efficient vehicles (and now, BEVs and PHEVs) are hurting revenues.

quitepossibly

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The big, big question of the day is... Why aren't major, membership-only stores (e.g., Costco) with huge gasoline/diesel stations throughout the country offering discounted (or any) DCFC yet for EVs? Costco has many, many shoppers w/EVs that spend about 60+ min inside. Where's the juice, man?
Ford will have to make a Expedition sized EV if Costco installs DC fast chargers. I won't be able to fit my Costco shopping in Ford's current range of EVs... :)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
AC L2 is all they need for that application. There already is quite a push for installations at those types of retail facilities. The incentives are there......they can't really build the stations fast enough to be honest.

DCFC would be a gigantic waste of money. Remember, DCFC should be your last charging option.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
But that's precisely the reason. If you want 60 kW then that's $25.80 @ 0.43 vs. $18.60 @ 0.31 ... that works out to $7.20 less.

The Pass+ Membership costs $4/month ... so even if you only charged once that month it would still be worthwhile. There doesn't seem to be any minimum term ... looks like you can cancel at any time.
Yes. I'm well aware of that.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
AC L2 is all they need for that application. There already is quite a push for installations at those types of retail facilities. The incentives are there......they can't really build the stations fast enough to be honest.

DCFC would be a gigantic waste of money. Remember, DCFC should be your last charging option.
30 minutes of 7 kW power isn't gonna help much at all. I wouldn't bother with it, whether around home or on a road trip.

If I had a 2015 Leaf with 60 miles of practical range, I might be desperate enough to add the 10 miles back in. But with 200+ mile range, no. I'll just plug in when I get home for the night.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ford will have to make a Expedition sized EV if Costco installs DC fast chargers. I won't be able to fit my Costco shopping in Ford's current range of EVs... :)
eF-150 with a topper?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
30 minutes of 7 kW power isn't gonna help much at all. I wouldn't bother with it, whether around home or on a road trip.

If I had a 2015 Leaf with 60 miles of practical range, I might be desperate enough to add the 10 miles back in. But with 200+ mile range, no. I'll just plug in when I get home for the night.
Write that down in your book of "I'll bet I won't do that once my BEV arrives". Let us know in a year how those predictions work out.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Write that down in your book of "I'll bet I won't do that once my BEV arrives". Let us know in a year how those predictions work out.
Why would I bother with that? Not only is it extra effort, the prices on a public charger are almost surely higher than my home electricity rates. It would be like stopping to buy a gallon of gas at $8 just because it's in the parking lot.

(This is assuming it's not a freebie, of course. People will suck down anything that's free, because... "free".)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Why would I bother with that? Not only is it extra effort, the prices on a public charger are almost surely higher than my home electricity rates. It would be like stopping to buy a gallon of gas at $8 just because it's in the parking lot.

(This is assuming it's not a freebie, of course. People will suck down anything that's free, because... "free".)
Because they're usually free.
Sponsored