Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I’ve been using my condo’s ChargePoint chargers since I got my Mach E FE in February and I’d always have to use the app or a card to initiate charging, but today it automatically started charging right when I plugged it in. I’m guessing that’s due to an app update or OTA update? Love it!

Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I’ve been using my condo’s ChargePoint chargers since I got my Mach E FE in February and I’d always have to use the app or a card to initiate charging, but today it automatically started charging right when I plugged it in. I’m guessing that’s due to an app update or OTA update? Love it!

Anyone else notice this?
Not yet, just signed up for a Chargepoint account.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's possible that the Condo turned it to be free. Chargepoint doesn't support Plug&Charge. They don't even have a place in your account to add your VIN to make it work.

OP
OP

MachE2021

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
It's possible that the Condo turned it to be free. Chargepoint doesn't support Plug&Charge. They don't even have a place in your account to add your VIN to make it work.
Could be, but I doubt it. We had to link our chargepoint account to our local utilities account (for electricity in our unit), so the EV charge goes to our utilities account. The HOA presumably could decide to have the charges go to them for payment instead but I haven’t heard anything about that and I suspect the 99% of owners here without an EV would be pissed.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Annnd… I am guessing but it’s highly unlikely that your condo’s ChargePoint chargers are L3. Plug and Charge only works on L3 chargers, currently from Electrify America. I hear that some GreenLots L3 chargers are now supporting Plug and Charge too.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Annnd… I am guessing but it’s highly unlikely that your condo’s ChargePoint chargers are L3. Plug and Charge only works on L3 chargers, currently from Electrify America. I hear that some GreenLots L3 chargers are now supporting Plug and Charge too.
Oh yeah. There is that too.

So I bet something happened and they accidentally have them set to be free.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Being a Poodle, I love the word “Free!” Second only to “dinner!”

Was that racist? ?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag

Anyone else notice this?
Generally CP L2 chargers are locked, so you need an RFID card or phone to unlock the handle. I usually use the phone NFC. There is no need to do anything else, once a handle is unlocked insert it in the charging port of your car and it will start charging just like any other L2 charger.
But chargers on private property can be customized by the owner. I wasn't able to use a CP charger at my friend's apartment building. Having an account wasn't sufficient, it required a tenant signing in for the service and using their keycard.

OP
OP

MachE2021

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Update: it was definitely a glitch of some sort. I never got charged for the charge, but today the charger is back to requiring an activation step. I just wish I charged more than just a couple dollars worth for a topping off before a long drive.
Sponsored