Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Volvo announced the Polestar 2 US price will start at $59,900 before any tax credits, etc.

An interesting number.
Sponsored

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Not a bad possible fall back position if the Mach E purchase falls through for some reason. Certainly worth a consideration.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Pete, I was thinking the same thing.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not a bad possible fall back position if the Mach E purchase falls through for some reason. Certainly worth a consideration.
Agreed.

I don't know much about Polestar (not sure if anyone else here does either). The one thing I like about Polestar (and similarly Rivian) is while they are a brand new company, they have a very strong connection to a real car company with the experience that may eliminate some of the problems Tesla has. Don't get me wrong, I love what Tesla has done as a disruptor. They have driven the direction of electric cars and are disrupting the parts of the Auto Dealer model that I abhor. But Tesla isn't a car company. We have heard here and elsewhere about the problems Tesla has regarding QC and service networks.

With the strong connection to the parent Volvo, hopefully Polestar will have a strong network for service (albeit better in Europe than the US). Of course, in the US, most anything Volvo will cost more to service than most anything Ford but at least it's not as bad as Jaguar.

I think there is real strength to these semi-disruptor companies that may provide the best of both worlds.

It's also a really cool looking car. Unfortunately, it's priced more like a Jaguar than a Ford and is really aimed more to the luxury market for now.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was just looking over their website as well as reviews, but there was one thing I couldnā€™t find anywhere. Where the heck do you get this thing serviced? I couldnā€™t find a single mention of that on the website or in any review. That could be a huge deal-breaker. Otherwise it has a lot of nice features going for it.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
I was just looking over their website as well as reviews, but there was one thing I couldnā€™t find anywhere. Where the heck do you get this thing serviced? I couldnā€™t find a single mention of that on the website or in any review. That could be a huge deal-breaker. Otherwise it has a lot of nice features going for it.
Since they are owned by Geely (which owns Volvo), and since Geely has no dealer network in the US, I would assume this will be serviced by Volvo dealers in the US. I believe the Polestar vehicles will be made in China (as is the Volvo XC40 and Recharge).

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Agreed.

I don't know much about Polestar (not sure if anyone else here does either). The one thing I like about Polestar (and similarly Rivian) is while they are a brand new company, they have a very strong connection to a real car company with the experience that may eliminate some of the problems Tesla has. Don't get me wrong, I love what Tesla has done as a disruptor. They have driven the direction of electric cars and are disrupting the parts of the Auto Dealer model that I abhor. But Tesla isn't a car company. We have heard here and elsewhere about the problems Tesla has regarding QC and service networks.

With the strong connection to the parent Volvo, hopefully Polestar will have a strong network for service (albeit better in Europe than the US). Of course, in the US, most anything Volvo will cost more to service than most anything Ford but at least it's not as bad as Jaguar.

I think there is real strength to these semi-disruptor companies that may provide the best of both worlds.

It's also a really cool looking car. Unfortunately, it's priced more like a Jaguar than a Ford and is really aimed more to the luxury market for now.
Pricing in line with the Mach E Premium AWD and GT models. Acceleration better than premium, but not as good as the GT. Range possibly better than the GT and comparable to the Premium. I think it was all wheel drive only as well. Didn't notice a RWD version when I looked at the website, maybe I missed it.

I liked that it was not a Volvo, but is "related" to Volvo. Maybe get some extra cutting edge thinking of a startup, but also the know how and experience of Volvo.

The body colors could use a little extra juice.

Did I see that it is available late summer 2020?

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Since they are owned by Geely (which owns Volvo), and since Geely has no dealer network in the US, I would assume this will be serviced by Volvo dealers in the US. I believe the Polestar vehicles will be made in China (as is the Volvo XC40 and Recharge).
XC40 Recharge will be made in Ghent, Belgium, not China. The made in China aspect of the Polestar makes it a complete non-starter for me, personally.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
The made in China aspect of the Polestar makes it a complete non-starter for me, personally.
So I assume you also don't own a smartphone? Or a computer? Or ... (insert any other made in china item here) ...?

Or do you think they can assebmle (not even talking about design, which they also do) top-notch, super high-tech devices like iPhones, but not cars?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
My Mach E reservation is Premum AWD with space white exterior and light colored interior at $58300. It appears that Polestar will cost $59900+1200+4000=65100.

Additionally, for my personal taste, the overall height of Polestar 2 (58 in, 1.48m) is too low. In comparison, Mach E is 63 in and my current vehicle (C Max) is 64 in. I like tall cabin inside height, and used overall height as an approximation for comparison here given all three likely have similar ground clearance.

Last edited:

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
XC40 Recharge will be made in Ghent, Belgium, not China. The made in China aspect of the Polestar makes it a complete non-starter for me, personally.
Yes, thatā€™s most definitely the biggest issue for me too. It is made in China, thatā€™s certain. Itā€™s one thing having a smartphone thatā€™s made in China where almost all smartphones are, so thereā€™s not much choice, but a car, thatā€™s a different animal. Lots of choices when it comes to cars and where theyā€™re built, U.S., Japan, Sweden, Mexico, Canada etc.

The other issue is service. Even if it is serviced by Volvo, will their service departments really have the expertise and familiarity they would with a Volvo? Then thereā€™s the issue of parts. Even with Tesla, you donā€™t want to have an accident where a number of parts are needed.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Great to see another EV . . . not too keen on the "powered by Android" infotainment system. I'll stick with my MME order and Apple CarPlay - I don't trust Google as much on privacy to be the car infotainment system.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pricing in line with the Mach E Premium AWD and GT models. Acceleration better than premium, but not as good as the GT. Range possibly better than the GT and comparable to the Premium. I think it was all wheel drive only as well. Didn't notice a RWD version when I looked at the website, maybe I missed it.

I liked that it was not a Volvo, but is "related" to Volvo. Maybe get some extra cutting edge thinking of a startup, but also the know how and experience of Volvo.

You are correct, AWD only. There is a cheaper version coming in about a year, but not much is known about it. Perhaps RWD? The LR RWD ME (thatā€™s a lot letters! :)) has at least a 25 mile range advantage. I say ā€˜at leastā€™ because it wouldnā€™t surprise me if the final EPA number was higher.

The car is nice looking, particularly the interior. I can see some Volvo influence. I was surprised, that unlike Volvo, they donā€™t nickel & dime you for every option. The base level is essentially fully loaded. There are very few reviews, but there was one where they actually got to drive a near complete prototype briefly. They stated that only the infotainment system was incomplete. They claimed its handling and ride outdid a Model 3 and was much more ā€˜sophisticatedā€™ (I think that was the word they used).

The ride part doesnā€™t surprise me since the 3 is not known for its great ride qualities. But the handling aspect did surprise me as the 3 is an excellent handling car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Pricing starts the same as a fully loaded First Edition, $59,900. That means any upgrades (many colors, wheels, and interior) puts it over $60K MSRP. In states like Maryand, that kills the state EV credit, which has a $60K cap, effectively adding another $3,000 to the price for me. Some states have even lower caps. NJ has a $5K credit with a $55K cap.

Big difference between cars that start at $59,900 and those that start at $43,875. As I said, the Polestar is priced straight into the luxury car market the iPace targets. Hopefully, they'll have something much more affordable in the future.

Being made in China, who knows how it might be caught up in the next US-China trade war.
Sponsored