Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Sweetwater, I think you can be highly critical of China as I have been, and yet be objective about a given product. It would be disingenuous to say that every product coming out of China is garbage, it's not. I despise the Chinese Communist government, but not the people.

I'm sure you have a number of products made in China as do I. I wouldn't search out products made in China if other products made in the U.S. fit my requirements and were available.

So I think these are not mutually incompatible views, they're simply objective assessments. But I understand your concern. :)
Sponsored

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Yes Ken I agree with you. I try my best to buy US products. But
you must understand my point of view. I was and continue to
be a Union man. I was lucky to get into the trade early in life.
The Union took care of me and still does. I just can not change
my ways. If you get one good for you but don't expect to come
and vist and park it on my USA concrete driveway. :p

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
I currently own a 2010 Volvo XC60 and have for the past five years. Love it.

However, the occasional surprise at service can take your breath away.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
So I assume you also don't own a smartphone? Or a computer? Or ... (insert any other made in china item here) ...?

Or do you think they can assebmle (not even talking about design, which they also do) top-notch, super high-tech devices like iPhones, but not cars?
I absolutely do own Chinese made products, in fact typing this on the so-called Chinese phone here. I also own a so-called Chinese made laptop. I would absolutely pay a premium for an American made product, if such substitutes existed. I did build my own PC, since I wanted to control that aspect of ownership. Unfortunately there isn’t much choice in the consumer electronics space. However, I can take some solace that I am buying products from an American company (Apple) and that the products are at least cheaper by being made there.

Can China build decent cars? Sure, I don’t see why not. How much IP theft and human rights violations occur in the course of doing so? I don’t know, but I don’t want to consider that as an option. Until Chinese people start appreciating Chinese made cars the same way Americans or Germans appreciate American or German made cars, the international market isn’t ready.

There are many alternatives in the automotive space, so, short of this being an EV providing unlimited range with massaging seats and a free puppy, I wouldn’t consider it. Not to mention the price point isn’t that great. Chinese made by a Chinese owned company, I don’t think that has to be an option for me personally, when there are fantastic alternatives from European and American companies, some making their cars here in the US.
I don’t have to buy American made products, and I love to do so whenever I reasonably can, but I try to avoid Chinese made whenever possible. This was my sentiment before COVID-19 and that certainly hasn’t changed with what’s happened.
On the topic of Polestar 2, not sure if it’s a good or bad thing, but it reminds me of a 90’s Citroen.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
* Where can this car be serviced? That's my #1 concern in terms of purchasing the car? Polestar- In the NY area there will initially be one (1) location for servicing. It will be NOT serviced by Volvo.

So my initial concern turns out to be a very real concern. It will not be serviced by Volvo, and having one location for servicing, depending upon where you live, can be an absolute deal-breaker if you were otherwise interested.
Well, that's a bummer. That kills one of the two advantages I was in their relationship with Volvo through their parent company.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mark, on L.I. there are 5 Volvo dealerships which would have been convenient. This is the problem with a stand alone 'start up' division even though Volvo is certainly not a start up.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Well, that's a bummer. That kills one of the two advantages I was in their relationship with Volvo through their parent company.
Polestar has described their service as a concierge service where someone comes to your home, gives you loaner and takes your car for servicing. However, I haven't seen anywhere that lists where those stations will be.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Polestar has described their service as a concierge service where someone comes to your home, gives you loaner and takes your car for servicing. However, I haven't seen anywhere that lists where those stations will be.
I didn't see that anywhere on their website. It would alleviate that concern.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That follows the model that Tesla started out with. It's really odd that they don't promote that on their website since it's a big selling point...especially in light of the paucity of service facilities.

However I'd be cautious since although Tesla started out with that model, it's one they no longer follow. So you do have to look down the road to see where the service center will be in the event they do pull that concierge service. In Tesla's case at least they filled in the gap somewhat with service vans that actually service your vehicle at your home for non-major issues.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Good to see the prices released I certainly have it down as an alternative to the mach-e, as at with it being an online purchase I don't have to put up with the possibility of ADM, also prefer the lower roof line and tail lights design. Mind you I am hopeful that the economic fall out from covid-19 will put paid to dealers trying to pull a fast one and slapping ADM on the mach-e so for now I wont be jumping ship.

Service wise if the concierge service fails they can always resort back to sending you to a volvo dealer so less of concern on that front. Also as to where it is built I couldn't care less once you get up into the 60k+ bracket #1 is build quality not build location.

The same goes for the mach-e don't care witch side of the border it is manufactured on, after all the home team made a dogs dinner of assembling the explorer and navigator, while the build quality of the mustang coupe leaves a lot to be desired. I am all for supporting the local team and would prefer it but once I am forking over my hard earned at the price of the mach-e I expect the panels to be aligned and find an interior devoid of low quality scratchy plastics.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Pricing starts the same as a fully loaded First Edition, $59,900. That means any upgrades (many colors, wheels, and interior) puts it over $60K MSRP. In states like Maryand, that kills the state EV credit, which has a $60K cap, effectively adding another $3,000 to the price for me. Some states have even lower caps. NJ has a $5K credit with a $55K cap.

Big difference between cars that start at $59,900 and those that start at $43,875. As I said, the Polestar is priced straight into the luxury car market the iPace targets. Hopefully, they'll have something much more affordable in the future.

Being made in China, who knows how it might be caught up in the next US-China trade war.
For me in NJ, I have to go to standard range battery, to keep me under the $55K cap, in a Premium.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Yes I know about the MME. It's still a Ford and as close as I can get at this
time. Probably will trade it for Camaro EV. ;)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This problem's been with us for over a decade. Which is better to buy, the car from an American company built in Asia or the car from an Asian company built in America? Face it: globalization is now integral to our economy.

Of course, with the Polestar, it's a Swedish company built in China, so there's probably almost nothing American to it.
Sponsored