Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Of course, with the Polestar, it's a Swedish company built in China, so there's probably almost nothing American to it.
Globalization is great, provided countries compete fairly and with integrity. Chinese factories have shown themselves to be quite poor in this regard. Products being sold out the back door, designs being copied and counterfeited. Obviously the mass of an automobile doesn’t lend itself well to this type of unauthorized selling, but that doesn’t mean other types of abuses don’t happen. Not to mention the amount of corruption involved with establishing/maintaining a business or factory in China.
I have nothing against Volvo itself, in fact I’m closely watching the XC40 recharge as well as the MME.
Also, just a small correction: this is a Swedish company under Chinese ownership (Geely).
Sponsored

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
This problem's been with us for over a decade. Which is better to buy, the car from an American company built in Asia or the car from an Asian company built in America? Face it: globalization is now integral to our economy.

Of course, with the Polestar, it's a Swedish company built in China, so there's probably almost nothing American to it.
More like a Swedish company owned by a Chinese company built in China.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Well, mostly Mach E is Mexican made and didn’t I read it’s a non-Union factory?

Baker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart EV
Country flag
Polestar has described their service as a concierge service where someone comes to your home, gives you loaner and takes your car for servicing. However, I haven't seen anywhere that lists where those stations will be.
They are opening 3 stores in Canada (Monreal/Toronto/Vancouver) which will show the car and road test. Volvo dealer are out because Polestar in an independent Sweden's company but owned by Geely
PS. I LOVE your Avatar !!!!!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Personally I have no interest in the Polestar 2, just due to shape/looks. I'm disappointed that it's yet another sedan/hatch back-end rather than a taller SUV back-end.

I know the Mach-e is kinda the same way (although partially redeemed by that bump-out that extends the roof height by a foot or two). But the Mach-e has special styling and looks that I really like. Plus it's a Ford. I prefer a US automaker when possible.

I still crave a REAL SUV form though. Which is why the XC40 interests me. I hope Ford and GM start making some real SUVs in BEV form soon.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I still crave a REAL SUV form though. Which is why the XC40 interests me. I hope Ford and GM start making some real SUVs in BEV form soon.
Depending on how big you want to go and if you're willing to wait until 2022, there will also be a BEV with the next gen of the XC90.
Before then, I think the best BEV SUV will be the Rivian but, like the XC90, it will be a bit pricier than the MME.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Depending on how big you want to go and if you're willing to wait until 2022, there will also be a BEV with the next gen of the XC90.
Before then, I think the best BEV SUV will be the Rivian but, like the XC90, it will be a bit pricier than the MME.
That's the other problem - price. The Mach-e is actually higher than I would normally spend for a vehicle, so I'm stretching to justify even that. The Rivian and XC90 will surely be even more.

I've never spent more than $32k for a vehicle before (our Escape Titaniums). So it's still shock to the system to be talking about $50k+ BEVs. Let alone $75k ones. :oops:

Last edited:

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Well, mostly Mach E is Mexican made and didn’t I read it’s a non-Union factory?
Why must you start an argument ? Your post is not needed. I always liked
what you post but now you want to go phishing.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Why must you start an argument ? Your post is not needed. I always liked
what you post but now you want to go phishing.
This is an odd post. ChasingCoral merely questioned whether the MME gets "buy US" points if it's built in Mexico with non-union labor. It doesn't imply judgment for or against union labor (if anything it implies it's better to have US-built with union labor), so I don't understand your anger.

(As a side note, even if it were an anti-union post -- which I don't read it to be -- why is it ok for you to post pro-union labor comments but it'd be argumentative and completely inappropriate for someone to imply a different sentiment?)

CobraKaiSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro, CX-9
Country flag
I have been following the polestar for a while as i'm sure all of us in the market for an EV have been doing. I have to say that it is to me just not very attractive. i wish there were more BEV options out there because for me it's really exclusively between the Ford and the Tesla in terms of looks. I know looks are subjective and all that matter is that you like what you drive but I feel like I must be crazy because with the Polestar 2 i really just don't see it. Homely and more money takes it out of the equation for me.
Sponsored