Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Personally I have no interest in the Polestar 2, just due to shape/looks. I'm disappointed that it's yet another sedan/hatch back-end rather than a taller SUV back-end.

I know the Mach-e is kinda the same way (although partially redeemed by that bump-out that extends the roof height by a foot or two). But the Mach-e has special styling and looks that I really like. Plus it's a Ford. I prefer a US automaker when possible.

I still crave a REAL SUV form though. Which is why the XC40 interests me. I hope Ford and GM start making some real SUVs in BEV form soon.
FWIW, I believe the XC40 is also made in China.
Sponsored

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depending on how big you want to go and if you're willing to wait until 2022, there will also be a BEV with the next gen of the XC90.
Before then, I think the best BEV SUV will be the Rivian but, like the XC90, it will be a bit pricier than the MME.
Don't count out Lucid, although very pricey. But that's an utterly gorgeous car inside & out. It should be for north of $100,000.

I found a complete feature list on the Polestar 2 and it's got a truly impressive number of standard features.

https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar-2/polestar-2-standard-features/

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Don't count out Lucid, although very pricey. But that's an utterly gorgeous car inside & out. It should be for north of $100,000.

I found a complete feature list on the Polestar 2 and it's got a truly impressive number of standard features.

https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar-2/polestar-2-standard-features/
Thinking more about the Polestar 2 styling.....I like it, but I think it will quickly fade into the background of other sedan styling. It may draw some interest initially, but I think the design is not distinctive enough and not passionate enough to be a long term classic look. In other words, I think it will get stale quicker than the Mach E.

I think the distinctive styling of the Mach E does bring a passion and the "need" for a double take if you see it that the Polestar 2 doesn't provide or won't for long.

Just my take on the styling. I do like the specs though and it certainly seems like it could be a fun and luxurious car to drive.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pete, I have a different vantage point. Coming from my Model S, all the other electrics that are within financial reach are just not in the same league from the standpoint of exterior aesthetics...at least IMO. Coming up on 3 years of ownership, the S still looks stunning to me as I approach it. So everything else, exterior-wise, is a tradeoff. That's not to say I don't think the Mach E is a pretty car, I do. I do think it has an edge over the Polestar in that regard, but I also find the Polestar attractive in a different way.

Now the interior is a different story. Both the Mach E and the Polestar are, IMO, more attractive than my S. My S never looked 'luxurious' inside and without the 17" screen, it would have been ho hum. But both the Polestar & Mach E just seem more attractive & luxurious. The Polestar definitely has a Volvo look to it, which is a good thing. Here I'd give the edge to the Polestar over the Mach E, but it's a close call.

I think the real selling point is the extraordinary list of standard features on the Polestar. The Mach E is no slouch either, but I think the Polestar does have an edge there.

Where the Mach E excels is the dealer network. I've got 2 Ford dealerships within about 5 miles from me, with the closer one about 2 miles. Now the Polestar somewhat makes up for that with the concierge service where they pick up your car and bring it back. That's certainly very convenient. The downside, from my viewpoint, is I don't like others driving my car for any significant distance and at this point I have no idea where their service center will be.

According to the Polestar rep I spoke with in Sweden, the car should be available for test drives during the summer. So I'll be able to see and drive it prior to committing to either car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is an odd post. ChasingCoral merely questioned whether the MME gets "buy US" points if it's built in Mexico with non-union labor. It doesn't imply judgment for or against union labor (if anything it implies it's better to have US-built with union labor), so I don't understand your anger.

(As a side note, even if it were an anti-union post -- which I don't read it to be -- why is it ok for you to post pro-union labor comments but it'd be argumentative and completely inappropriate for someone to imply a different sentiment?)
My post was neither pro- nor anti-union. The discussion had put the MME as being more "American" and pro-union and I was only raising the point of the content. I'm also not trying to sway opinion one way or the other. How that influences your opinion of it is entirely your opinion.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
My post was neither pro- nor anti-union. The discussion had put the MME as being more "American" and pro-union and I was only raising the point of the content. I'm also not trying to sway opinion one way or the other. How that influences your opinion of it is entirely your opinion.
That's how I interpreted it and why I responded to sweetwater that it seemed an odd post at which to take offense.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If Ford hadn't announced the Mach E when they did, I might be looking to get into a Kona EV. It definitely wins on the range vs price for the base models. The biggest negative for me was Hyundai didn't make AWD an option in the Kona EV, only the Kona ICE.

Polestar is in a price range I honestly didn't plan to enter. Same for the Jaguar iPace. The First Edition will be the most I've spent on a car and wouldn't be doing it if it weren't a FE Mustang. It's a real splurge for me.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
I think the real selling point is the extraordinary list of standard features on the Polestar. The Mach E is no slouch either, but I think the Polestar does have an edge there.
Ford could ad the extra options and then the Mach E would be the same price as the Polestar out of price range I want to be in.

Where the Mach E excels is the dealer network. I've got 2 Ford dealerships within about 5 miles from me, with the closer one about 2 miles. Now the Polestar somewhat makes up for that with the concierge service where they pick up your car and bring it back. That's certainly very convenient. The downside, from my viewpoint, is I don't like others driving my car for any significant distance and at this point I have no idea where their service center will be.
Another really good point, here in West Virginia we have only one Volvo car dealership that in it's self would be a deal breaker for me. And I to don't like anyone else driving my car I always get it back with the drivers seat all out of wack and it takes days to get it comfortable again.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
And I to don't like anyone else driving my car I always get it back with the drivers seat all out of wack and it takes days to get it comfortable again.
Well, it does come with driver's seat memory standard -- so that would be one thing not to worry about.

Actually as Ken7 stated, the standard list on this vehicle is quite impressive.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's funny, for all their standard features, unless I missed it, I couldn't see if it had fold-down rear seats.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Mach E has an AM radio (or FM for that matter)? It seems with fully electric cars, AM is not the most successful radio band to listen to. On my MS, the noise can be pretty distracting and takes on an electric 'hum' as you decelerate or accelerate. In fact Tesla no longer includes AM in its vehicles. The Polestar 2 offers FM & SiriusXM, but no AM. In reading an article on this subject, it seems that most electrics forgo the AM band. But I've seen nothing definitive about that on the ME.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Mach E has an AM radio (or FM for that matter)? It seems with fully electric cars, AM is not the most successful radio band to listen to. On my MS, the noise can be pretty distracting and takes on an electric 'hum' as you decelerate or accelerate. In fact Tesla no longer includes AM in its vehicles. The Polestar 2 offers FM & SiriusXM, but no AM. In reading an article on this subject, it seems that most electrics forgo the AM band. But I've seen nothing definitive about that on the ME.
interesting. Our Leaf has AM and it works fine.
Sponsored