Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Just received this regarding my question on servicing. As you can see, the Polestar servicing locations are still subject to debate. The concierge service is nice and brings us back to the early Tesla days before they outgrew this customer-oriented service approach.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Polestar 2 US price announced {filename}
Hi Ken,

Congratulations on placing your pre-order reservation! Polestar vehicles will have nationwide service coverage through a selected number of Polestar Authorized Service Points. We are also planning to offer a pick-up and delivery service, as well as offer courtesy cars, to cover our customersā€™ transportation needs while service work is being undertaken. A full list of initial Polestar service locations is still being established and we should have more information in the next coming weeks.

Regards,

Mike
- Polestar USA​
Polestar
Assar Gabrielssons VƤg 9
405 31 Gƶteborg
SE​

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
If Ford hadn't announced the Mach E when they did, I might be looking to get into a Kona EV. It definitely wins on the range vs price for the base models. The biggest negative for me was Hyundai didn't make AWD an option in the Kona EV, only the Kona ICE.

Polestar is in a price range I honestly didn't plan to enter. Same for the Jaguar iPace. The First Edition will be the most I've spent on a car and wouldn't be doing it if it weren't a FE Mustang. It's a real splurge for me.
I was actually very interested in the Soul EV but then they postponed it until 2021 and then the MME was announced. Since we are an all Ford family, it makes it easy to stick with Ford for this, since it is a much more appealing vehicle than the Soul would be.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
The Mach-E could be delayed 5 years and Iā€™d still wait before even considering the Polestar. I canā€˜t believe a car at that price can look so bland on the outside and so cheap on the inside! Definitely not for me.

Last edited:

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks are very subjective, but I think characterizing the interior as ā€˜cheap lookingā€™ would be a minority opinion. In actuality, the ME and Polestar interior look more similar than different if you look at them objectively. Both, IMO, are very nice. The main difference is the Polestarā€™s instrument cluster is much larger and can give you a full view of the map while navigating. Very nice.

Those that have seen the Polestar and those that have reviewed it characterize the quality of interior materials as high end and the overall look as very obviously Volvo influenced. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard anyone describe a Volvo interior as cheap looking.

I anticipate both cars will be great and well-reviewed. Nice to have great choices! :)

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
Of course. Trying to debate/influence someoneā€™s taste is pretty pointless. I will say that i canā€™t see the similarities between the MME & Polestar interiors that you do. Iā€™ve sat in the Mach-E, Iā€™ve owned a Volvo and Iā€™ve ridden shotgun in my best friends 2019 V90 quite often... so my opinion that the interior is nothing to write home about, is based on this, along side a few non-editorial or marketing pictures and videos... like the demo video someone shared earlier on this thread. Seeing that touch screen and dash just reminded me of a cheap laggy HTC phone I once owned. But maybe thatā€™s just because Iā€™ve had bad experiences with Android and so itā€™s a negative association influencing me.

At the end of the day, as long as you like it then thatā€™s all that matters.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've always found Volvo interiors to be classy and far from cheap. We rented an S60 on a trip in Florida and really enjoyed most everything about the car. We thought the interior was classy & simple at the same time. The consensus is the same for the interior of the Polestar, which is obviously Volvo designed, with the influence obvious. We'll agree to strongly disagree on that one. ;)

As far as the center touchscreens are concerned, the Polestar's use Google's new Android Automotive Infotainment system, whereas the Mustang uses Ford's proprietary OS, Synch 4. I've owned a Ford Fusion PHEV and to be honest, I'd much rather have the new Google system. The Ford Synch was quite laggy, but certainly usable. I would never describe it as quick. Of course I could say the same thing about the system in my Model S. It's not snappy quick either, although the newer Teslas are. So even if I wound up with the Mach E, a somewhat laggy screen would not be a deal-break, I'm used to it. With that said, I think many would find the Google Infotainment system better.

Many feel that Google's new implementation in a vehicle for maps, voice recognition, Google assistant etc. is the best in the business. The thinking I've seen repeated goes, "These guys have been doing this for years, why try to better them when they already have the best system". I haven't tried it yet, but the feelings I've read seem to be quite consistent. Certainly when I've used different aspects of Google, whether it's voice recognition or Google maps, it's been quite impressive. So IMO this is a real plus.

Having a navigation map right on the instrument panel directly in front of you is another plus in my book. I've always found it distracting to have to look to a center screen for the map info while driving. In the Polestar it's directly in front of you. Very nice. I believe there might be an option for the Mustang to do a partial map while navigating, but it will look nothing like the full map you get on the much larger Polestar instrument panel. Again, I wouldn't make a choice of a vehicle based solely on that, but it certainly ticks off another box for me.

As for you feelings on Android, I can tell their quite dated. I'm very objective about this since I use an iPhone and have been for years. I also owned Android years ago. I too was turned off by earlier implementations of Android, but those days are long gone. Picking up any modern phone like a Samsung, it's easy to see how incredibly snappy the OS is now. Using an OS these days is not a binary choice, they're both excellent and it's undeniable that the Android OS has far more flexibility. For me, I'm just heavily invested in the Mac OS both with my iMac and our iPhones, so I stay where I am.

Look, I'm sure I'd be very happy with either car, but as it stands right now, the approximate 1 year wait for the Mustang for me is a negative.

Here's a quick article that talks about the new Google Infotainment system:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27347927/2020-polestar-2-google-android-infotainment/

Last edited:

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
I appreciate the effort you've taken to explain why it's the better system for you. I hope it lives up to your expectations.

As for this...

As for you feelings on Android, I can tell their quite dated
Lol. I've had both Samsung & Lenovo as clients and have been given both a Yoga and Galaxy tablets in the past - Huawei as well, though they never let me keep any of the products :-( . The most useful they were to me was in their ability to sell themselves on e-bay ;-) Although to be fair to the Yoga, the little built in projector was quite fun if you projected onto your bedroom ceiling and lay in bed watching Netflix at night.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I appreciate the effort you've taken to explain why it's the better system for you. I hope it lives up to your expectations.
Keep in mind that both cars are in the running for me. My biggest issue with the Mustang is the long wait. It looks like at the very least Iā€™ll get to see the Polestar first, so Iā€™ll be sure to post my impressions. Time will tell.
As for this...

Lol. I've had both Samsung & Lenovo as clients and have been given both a Yoga and Galaxy tablets in the past - Huawei as well, though they never let me keep any of the products :-( . The most useful they were to me was in their ability to sell themselves on e-bay ;-) Although to be fair to the Yoga, the little built in projector was quite fun if you projected onto your bedroom ceiling and lay in bed watching Netflix at night.
Iā€™ve always found tablets to be slower and, like you, Iā€™ve never been much of a fan. We have several iPads and as I mentioned, weā€™re pretty entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. Fortunately IPhones work equally well with the Polestarā€™s system, so that wouldnā€™t present an issue.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
As far as the center touchscreens are concerned, the Polestar's use Google's new Android Automotive Infotainment system, whereas the Mustang uses Ford's proprietary OS, Synch 4. I've owned a Ford Fusion PHEV and to be honest, I'd much rather have the new Google system. The Ford Synch was quite laggy, but certainly usable. I would never describe it as quick. Of course I could say the same thing about the system in my Model S. It's not snappy quick either, although the newer Teslas are. So even if I wound up with the Mach E, a somewhat laggy screen would not be a deal-break, I'm used to it. With that said, I think many would find the Google Infotainment system better.
SYNC 4's computer is supposedly twice as fast as SYNC 3. I know MFT/SYNC1 was Windows embedded OS, and SYNC 3 is QNX (used by a lot of cars). Don't know what SYNC 3's frontend is, but but SYNC4 is using modern web tech. SYNC 4 may still be using QNX. It may be hard to compare them against each other since they are different technologies.

As for you feelings on Android, I can tell their quite dated.
I agree with you. The Google Pixel Phones are quite nice.

ddlt

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NX 300H Rx350 CX5 Mach E reserved Galaxy 500 in a time long ago
Country flag
"The Polestar Production Centre is located in Chengdu, China. Designed with both sustainability and the brand ethos in mind, the centre is a manufacturing plant and a physical manifestation of the Polestar brand. " from their website

NFW
Go Ford

Blitz118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge ST
Country flag
I like the car, and it checks a lot of boxes for me, but it bothers me that it does not have a full-size spare tire. It comes with a tire repair kit instead. That is almost a deal-breaker for me.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I like the car, and it checks a lot of boxes for me, but it bothers me that it does not have a full-size spare tire. It comes with a tire repair kit instead. That is almost a deal-breaker for me.
I think this will limit your choices significantly. I don't know what current or upcoming BEVs have a spare tire ... but I suspect they are rare. This is due to that space generally being used for battery space.
And not a deal breaker for the MME?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I think this will limit your choices significantly. I don't know what current or upcoming BEVs have a spare tire ... but I suspect they are rare. This is due to that space generally being used for battery space.
And not a deal breaker for the MME?
I donā€™t see a spare in the Mach-E. I thought that was pretty common for EVs to reduce weight and save space.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I donā€™t see a spare in the Mach-E. I thought that was pretty common for EVs to reduce weight and save space.
MME doesn't have one, which is why I think it's odd that Blitz118 says he's bothered by the Polestar not having one.
If I misunderstood and Blitz118 instead is saying that the MME not having a spare is a problem -- that's also odd because the Polestar 2 doesn't have one either.
Either way, as we've both indicated, most (if not all BEVs) don't have a spare. Making that a deal breaker really limits one's options.... especially if one is looking for a full size spare.
Sponsored