Polestar 2 US price announced

Blitz118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge ST
Country flag
I think this will limit your choices significantly. I don't know what current or upcoming BEVs have a spare tire ... but I suspect they are rare. This is due to that space generally being used for battery space.
And not a deal breaker for the MME?
Does the Mach E not have spare tire, or does it come with a tire repair kit too?
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Does the Mach E not have spare tire, or does it come with a tire repair kit too?
Correct and correct. It does not have a spare tire and it comes with a "quick charging kit in the rear area where spare tire usually goes"

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
I don't think the MME has any spare tire, not even a compact one. I think there are very few vehicles, BEV or ICE, that now have full size spare tires, and most don't even have compact spares. They are saving space, saving weight and saving money by not including.

Blitz118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge ST
Country flag
I see it does not come with one either now. I think it's off my list now. I'll stick with with ICE vehicles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I see it does not come with one either now. I think it's off my list now. I'll stick with with ICE vehicles.
I'm curious, how frequently do you have flats that can't be pumped up to get to the shop? It's been years since I've had to install a spare. The repair kit and electric air pump would have solved most of the flats I've ever had.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Given how few cars have spares these days (yes, even many ICE cars don’t have spares) I find this a really odd reason to not consider either the ME or the Polestar. I can’t imagine you were too committed to either car to so easily dismiss both.

Most cars give you roadside assistance, so I’m not sure what the major concern is even if you get an irreparable flat.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I'm curious, how frequently do you have flats that can't be pumped up to get to the shop? It's been years since I've had to install a spare. The repair kit and electric air pump would have solved most of the flats I've ever had.
I agree. But there is a space for a spare and I am sure a spare tire, cheap wheel and jack could be purchased and placed in the well.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
"The Polestar Production Centre is located in Chengdu, China. Designed with both sustainability and the brand ethos in mind, the centre is a manufacturing plant and a physical manifestation of the Polestar brand. " from their website

NFW
Go Ford
While I can personally share this sentiment and would not consider purchasing a Chinese made automobile myself , I can very much appreciate Polestar’s quicker arrival on the market. Late 2020 and Early 2021 couldn’t come any faster for us and the MME. Glad Ken7 seems to have found the more expedient option and absolutely wish that vehicle will be a fantastic purchase for him.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I agree. But there is a space for a spare and I am sure a spare tire, cheap wheel and jack could be purchased and placed in the well.
If there is space and one is not offered, then that’s a cost issue. I think the issue is that for the probability of needing one, vs the penalty of carrying one, it’s more economical to carry the repair kit, even though it won’t fix everything (a complete blowout is rare though).
Does anyone have any first hand experience how reliable the tire repair kits are?

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
My Volt does not have a spare and I hit a nail in the first year. Fortunately, it was under warranty, including the towing.
My wife's camaro also does not have a spare.
I wish it was mandatory but I know I won't have one on my Mach-e.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
My choice was between the Polestar and the Mach-e. I selected the Mach-e for its range.
The polestar weight 2140 kg and has a 78 kWh battery. The Mach-e I ordered has a 98 kWh battery and weight under 2,000 kg. I am still waiting for EPA numbers and real test drives for both cars.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
I did have a real flat tyre 2 years ago on the side. Nothing could be repaired it was totally torn open and they had to tow away my car. Of course this happened one day before christmas, so i had a rental for a week.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
My choice was between the Polestar and the Mach-e. I selected the Mach-e for its range.
The polestar weight 2140 kg and has a 78 kWh battery. The Mach-e I ordered has a 98 kWh battery and weight under 2,000 kg. I am still waiting for EPA numbers and real test drives for both cars.
A FWD Mach-E with 98 kWh battery comes in at about 4,700 lbs = about 2,130 kg. The AWD with 98 kWh is about 4,900 lbs = about 2,222 kg. So it's about the same as the Polestar if you got the FWD.
Sponsored