Polestar 2 US price announced

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Polestar 2 600km drive review had some interesting stats.

Per the reddit comment...

Timestamp to see Polestar charging at Ionity from 15% (tops out at 133 kW). Took roughly 36 mins to go from 15% to 81%*.

Road trip final numbers:
Distance 577.2 km
Consumption : 23.8 kWh/100 km
Time : 5 hrs 52 minutes.
Avg Speed: 102 kmph. (On certain sections he was going at 170-180 kmph)
*I looked at the charging session and it was 82%.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That, yes, but not "nothing more than". They have a purpose - as leverage to try and get the other country to stop its unfair treatment of our manufacturers' products.

The ultimate goal is free trade (both sides dropping tariffs and other unfair treatment).

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If the Polestar 2 was $49k not $59k, it'd be high on my list. $10,000 extra in federal taxes is not my thing. Plus you pay state/local sales tax on the import tax!

If not for the taxes, my biggest gripe would then be that it looks like my right knee would uncomfortably hit the center console/dash area.

Deleted member 367

Agreed.

I don't know much about Polestar (not sure if anyone else here does either). The one thing I like about Polestar (and similarly Rivian) is while they are a brand new company, they have a very strong connection to a real car company with the experience that may eliminate some of the problems Tesla has. Don't get me wrong, I love what Tesla has done as a disruptor. They have driven the direction of electric cars and are disrupting the parts of the Auto Dealer model that I abhor. But Tesla isn't a car company. We have heard here and elsewhere about the problems Tesla has regarding QC and service networks.

With the strong connection to the parent Volvo, hopefully Polestar will have a strong network for service (albeit better in Europe than the US). Of course, in the US, most anything Volvo will cost more to service than most anything Ford but at least it's not as bad as Jaguar.

I think there is real strength to these semi-disruptor companies that may provide the best of both worlds.

It's also a really cool looking car. Unfortunately, it's priced more like a Jaguar than a Ford and is really aimed more to the luxury market for now.
ChasingCoral, again I usually agree with your prospectives, but (again) not this time.

<< But Tesla isn't a car company. We have heard here and elsewhere about the problems Tesla has regarding QC and service networks. >>
What planet are you on? Their sales are through the roof - and they ain't selling water mellons! These are great cars - expensive cars - and the vast majority of their owners couldn't be happier. That said, yes the early Model Y cars had serious fit and finish problems. I saw one - it was disgracefull - but Tesla is slowly fixing these things. The car feels and drives great and owners generally love them. The newly cosmetically updated Model S is a piece of art. I held my check tightly in my hands until I inspected my vehicle for all fit and finish issues. There were none! And it charges to 404 miles of range.

Tesla may operate a little differently, but they certainly are a car company!

Baker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart EV
Country flag
Polestar 2 600km drive review had some interesting stats.

Per the reddit comment...

Timestamp to see Polestar charging at Ionity from 15% (tops out at 133 kW). Took roughly 36 mins to go from 15% to 81%*.

Road trip final numbers:

*I looked at the charging session and it was 82%.
Polestar in Canada advise that they will pick you up at home if you are located under 240km from their business plan and they will pickup the car for the service the same way when necessary !
Not bad

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Despite being assembled in Mexico, Iā€™m sure there are a lot more American parts in the ME than in the 100% Chinese, Polestar 2. So letā€™s put things in perspective.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Polestar in Canada advise that they will pick you up at home if you are located under 240km from their business plan and they will pickup the car for the service the same way when necessary !
Not bad
Sure, ā€˜not badā€™ if you donā€™t mind having a stranger drive your car up to 300 miles round trip for service. I sure as hell would mind!!

Baker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart EV
Country flag
Sure, ā€˜not badā€™ if you donā€™t mind having a stranger drive your car up to 300 miles round trip for service. I sure as hell would mind!!
Stay positive they will find a way to resolve the problem, don't forget that they want to sale you a car anyway!

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stay positive they will find a way to resolve the problem, don't forget that they want to sale you a car anyway!
Youā€™re right! I suppose Scotty could always beam the car up to the service facility & back, saving those 300 miles. ;)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
You forgot to mention "with an ON button"

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hehe. Naw, still an American car, designed in the US, managed in the US, with profits and taxes paid in the US by a US company. But it is assembled in Mexico, and includes a number of foreign-made parts (like most things these days).

GreenEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Country flag
The Polestar 2 in Canada is the same price as the Tesla Model y LR AWD. Up to the customer now, they are both expensive vehicles at around $71K plus fees, 13% tax. More luxurious interior and build for the Polestar 2 and a unique car (don't think they will sell many), compared with a more roomy Model Y with more range and Tesla software tech. The Mach E Premium Extended AWD is the same price as these 2 vehicles also. For the price, you just can't get an AWD CUV/SUV for what the Mach E Select is selling.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We could say that about vehicles assembled in Michigan or California or Kentucky too. Parts come from all over the world. If we use "parts origin" as the definition of "American car", there are no American cars anymore.

I tend to use the "made by an American company" definition instead.
Sponsored