Poll: US majority supports EV transition by 2030, and there's "generational urgency" behind it

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
from https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ts-ev-transition-by-2030-generational-urgency

Poll: US majority supports EV transition by 2030, and there's "generational urgency" behind it
avatar-image-for-stephed_100440631_s.jpg

STEPHEN EDELSTEIN NOVEMBER 28, 2021

A majority of United States voters support requiring all new cars sold in their state to be electric by 2030, according to a new poll commissioned by nonprofit Coltura.

Nationally, respondents supported phasing out sales of new gasoline cars by a 55%-35% margin. That margin varied by state, narrowing to 50%-38% in Colorado and growing to 66%-24% in New York.

Support for mandating EV sales was particularly strong among voters aged 18-34 (71%), Black voters (69%) and Hispanic voters (67%), reflecting the "generational urgency" of climate action and the importance of mass EV adoption to environmental justice goals, a Coltura press release said.

-at-volkswagen-arizona-proving-grounds_100752621_l.jpg
Charging stations at Volkswagen Arizona Proving Grounds

In 2020, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order calling for an end to sales of new internal-combustion vehicles in 2035, and the poll showed Californians are eager to make the switch.

Of Californians polled, 75% said they had a somewhat positive or very positive opinion of EVs, and 66% of those planning to purchase a vehicle within the next five years said they were likely to go electric. That's despite only 41% agreeing that EVs are less expensive to maintain than gasoline cars.

California needs a huge infrastructure buildout to meet its 2035 goal. The state recently approved a $1.4 billion infrastructure plan, but the California Energy Commission said earlier this year that the state will need 1.2 million charging stations by 2030 to meet its goal.

-at-volkswagen-arizona-proving-grounds_100752622_l.jpg
Charging stations at Volkswagen Arizona Proving Grounds

Nationally, the auto industry has set an aspiration goal of 50% zero-emission vehicles by 2030, but that includes plug-in hybrids and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles. Similarly, the federal infrastructure bill is just a start toward a full-scale EV transition.

Changing attitudes toward electric cars could help drive more aggressive policy goals.

A couple of Pew polls earlier this year found that Americans see EVs as better for the environment, despite a partisan divide. And nearly a year ago 7 of 10 Americans saw an EV in their future.

Which generations already do support the shift to EVs, and which ones need some convincing yet? Leave your impressions in comments below.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Exxon, the API, and the fake news outlets will undo those positive views.

By 2024 BEV's will be the next boogeyman

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Interesting read but these polls are so stupid ... it's paid for by an anti-gas organization and they picked states that are blue states and the margins are right in line with political affiliations in those states.

I don't say the aforementioned to be political at all, I just wish polls could be fair and balanced instead of wildly lopsided so to push an agenda, be it good or bad. I'm sure if Chevron paid for a poll of Oklahoma, Idaho and Wyoming we would get the opposite result. Can't we just be honest ...

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Interesting read but these polls are so stupid ... it's paid for by an anti-gas organization and they picked states that are blue states and the margins are right in line with political affiliations in those states.

I don't say the aforementioned to be political at all, I just wish polls could be fair and balanced instead of wildly lopsided so to push an agenda, be it good or bad. Can't we just be honest ...
Yeah, I’m not buying the results.

The vast majority won’t/haven’t bought a BEV themselves, but they are in favor of the government forcing you to buy one?

I’ll believe it when people “vote” with their wallets.

You can definitely skew results based on who you ask and how you ask the question.

Headline: Young men support feminism in America.

Poll- we asked 500 men aged 18-22 if women should be allowed to be topless on the beach. 95% agreed.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Exxon, the API, and the fake news outlets will undo those positive views.

By 2024 BEV's will be the next boogeyman
Based on thanksgiving conversations with my conservative family the BEV has already become a Boogeyman. There were so many questions and accusations thrown my way and jumping from one energy topic to another like "how are they going to recycle batteries" to "yeah well you know they are burying wind farms". Like ..what does one have to do with the other outside of you probably hearing the same thing back to back on your nightly Tucker Carlson segment? You expect me to defend wind farm rumors because I bought a BEV? Come on Papa! Get a grip man!
Sponsored