Poor nav routing, no traffic, charger availability, or weather after APIM replacement

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I brought my Mach-E in for service because SYNC would occasionally restart while I was driving. Mostly this just happened on hot summer days so it seemed like a temperature issue. In 1.5 years of ownership it happened maybe 15 times. But, the tech went ahead and updated many modules and he also observed a stuck U3000:57 code in the TCU and APIM. (After updating more things, he also observed this code in the GWM). So the tech consulted with the service hotline which instructed him to replace the APIM.

Months go by... Part arrives and is installed. That happened about 9-10 days ago. Ever since then, the weather and live traffic features of SYNC no longer work.

When I request weather the Weather popup appears but the content area is a spinner for 10 seconds and then it says Forecast Unavailable. As for traffic, it just never shows any traffic on any roads so the route planning doesn't consider traffic conditions, either.

Obviously I can use Android Auto instead but this is frustrating and makes me wonder if other things may be borked that I'm not yet noticing.

Any suggestions?

I tried resetting certain things such as FordPass Connect, Connected Navigation, and so on. I haven't tried a full master reset since this may impact my subscriptions.

I've tried contacting the service advisor... He's unresponsive so far.

I've tried contacting the early access program by email... No response yet. Tried calling Ford and spoke to various departments but after the In-Vehicle Technology team member completed her troubleshooting with me via the phone (basically it was to get in the car and key cycle it a few times and try again and see it's still broken), she referred me back to a dealer.

I really don't want to bring it in again for this. It's a lot of inconvenience to me for what seems like a server side authorization sort of problem. I just wish it could be resolved efficiently with less hassle for me.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The U3000 codes in the APIM, TCU, and GWM are perfectly normal if you are in the Early Access tokens program, since you are running a slightly modified software version with enhanced data logging. My car has the same codes, but it doesn't reboot. The APIM does not need to be replaced just because of the U3000 codes, but perhaps they decided to because of the restarting issue.

Check if your TCU is provisioned: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ssm-51228-inoperative-fordpass-remote-features.23858/

You can try pulling fuse #11 for 5 min to reboot the TCU. Move on also pulling fuses #21 (GWM) and #17 (APIM).

If the 3 modules are all showing as provisioned and fuse power cycling didn't help, then you may need to move on to a Master Reset.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks, @Mach-Lee! I'll give the fuse pulls a try tonight.

I just now got a response back from my service advisor, too. He said he's waiting on a response from the tech.

Back in early November when I asked the advisor why I hadn't heard from him for a few days, he mentioned the stuck codes and I then told him to let the tech know and for the tech to let the engineering hotline contact know, that those may be expected because of advanced analytics enabled via the early access program.

Like you said though, it's quite possible that there was a hardware defect causing SYNC restarts. I always figured it was a software issue but the fact that it mostly restarted during summer was a wrinkle in that theory. I didn't want to wait for the warranty to expire only to have the APIM totally die.

I think the TCU provisioning is fine... The HF driving map data expired in April 2023 when I picked up the car early last week and then within a day or so it changed to June '23. PaaK works. I can see charge logs etc in FordPass. I was successful able to sign back in to and use Alexa, and was able to rejoin my home WiFi.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Fuses pulled for 10+ minutes. Replaced... Drove to work a while later. Still same as before. Everything seems to work except for traffic and weather.

Hopefully the early access team or the service advisor will eventually reply with something more hopeful.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Fuses pulled for 10+ minutes. Replaced... Drove to work a while later. Still same as before. Everything seems to work except for traffic and weather.

Hopefully the early access team or the service advisor will eventually reply with something more hopeful.
I want you to go into bezel diagnostics and verify it says provisioned if you didn’t yet. It may still have partial connectivity while unprovisioned.

If so, it’s likely an issue with the connected services activation and a master reset may be required to re-activate it.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I want you to go into bezel diagnostics and verify it says provisioned if you didn’t yet. It may still have partial connectivity while unprovisioned.

If so, it’s likely an issue with the connected services activation and a master reset may be required to re-activate it.
Yes I forgot to mention that I'd checked that and it is Provisioned.

I'll try a master reset if I continue to hear nothing from my service advisor or the EA team.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I tried a Master Reset tonight. So far, same as before.

I'm disappointed to lose functionally simply from trying to resolve SYNC panics, but hopefully this will heal itself in time somehow. Maybe with the next SYNC update if I'm lucky (I'm not, generally 😅).

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Android Auto hasn't been able to get GPS from the car since I did the master reset... It's relying on dead reckoning and the phone's antenna whose SNR is too weak while the phone is in the center cubby. But if I put it in the dash it will eventually get lock. AA is a weird experience when it doesn't have a good location.

I'm seeing that the car seems to have trouble getting good gps too... But mostly it's great so it's confusing me. And it shows 28 birds locked in on the diagnostics screen, so I dunno what's up there. Seems like more software gremlins. :(

Ford Mustang Mach-E Poor nav routing, no traffic, charger availability, or weather after APIM replacement PXL_20230121_013338123

So I tried another master reset tonight. This time I exited and locked the vehicle and waited a few minutes before returning to it to reactivate via FordPass. Also when it asked if I wanted to restore my EV driving data, I said no instead of yes. (even when I said yes, it didn't actually restore any of that so the restore function doesn't even work).

I figured this might give me a cleaner slate. But it was basically the same. Nothing that requires Connected Navigation is working. I'm learning it's more things than I originally realized, so I'll update the post headline. Without CN working, Ford's navigation route selections are truly dumb. And you can't see charger availability or use dynamic parking, etc.

Also I'm learning that many settings don't actually reset to factory state during a Master Reset. Of particular surprise is the door codes... So if anyone ever needs to sell the car, remember to clear as much out as you can in the UI prior to doing a "master reset."

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Android Auto hasn't been able to get GPS from the car since I did the master reset... It's relying on dead reckoning and the phone's antenna whose SNR is too weak while the phone is in the center cubby. But if I put it in the dash it will eventually get lock. AA is a weird experience when it doesn't have a good location.

I'm seeing that the car seems to have trouble getting good gps too... But mostly it's great so it's confusing me. And it shows 28 birds locked in on the diagnostics screen, so I dunno what's up there. Seems like more software gremlins. :(

Ford Mustang Mach-E Poor nav routing, no traffic, charger availability, or weather after APIM replacement PXL_20230121_013338123

So I tried another master reset tonight. This time I exited and locked the vehicle and waited a few minutes before returning to it to reactivate via FordPass. Also when it asked if I wanted to restore my EV driving data, I said no instead of yes. (even when I said yes, it didn't actually restore any of that so the restore function doesn't even work).

I figured this might give me a cleaner slate. But it was basically the same. Nothing that requires Connected Navigation is working. I'm learning it's more things than I originally realized, so I'll update the post headline. Without CN working, Ford's navigation route selections are truly dumb. And you can't see charger availability or use dynamic parking, etc.

Also I'm learning that many settings don't actually reset to factory state during a Master Reset. Of particular surprise is the door codes... So if anyone ever needs to sell the car, remember to clear as much out as you can in the UI prior to doing a "master reset."
I wonder if this is subscription related because those services require a subscription to Connected Services. What does it say on the Ford website for these? Does it say active? I would also try removing all your payment info and adding it back in or a different card to maybe reset the subscription authorization.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I wonder if this is subscription related because those services require a subscription to Connected Services. What does it say on the Ford website for these? Does it say active? I would also try removing all your payment info and adding it back in or a different card to maybe reset the subscription authorization.
I'm still on my 3 year trial for Connected Navigation.

It's active on the web site. Also I spoke to that team (866-861-0420) as well as in-vehicle technology (via customer relations 800-392-3673) and they were able to verify that based on what they see on their side, it should be working.

The only inactive service is Ford Streaming but I've never bothered with that even before the APIM change.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm still on my 3 year trial for Connected Navigation.

It's active on the web site. Also I spoke to that team (866-861-0420) as well as in-vehicle technology (via customer relations 800-392-3673) and they were able to verify that based on what they see on their side, it should be working.

The only inactive service is Ford Streaming but I've never bothered with that even before the APIM change.
I’d still do the payment thing, I’ve actually read about this fixing weird issues with plug and charge and some other things. Worth a shot.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I’d still do the payment thing, I’ve actually read about this fixing weird issues with plug and charge and some other things. Worth a shot.
I don't see any option to cancel, other than doing another master reset and waiting for the 14-day subscription hold to expire. (I don't want to do that.)

But it's an interesting idea. I may try calling the Connected Services number again and plead with them to escalate instead of forwarding me to other tier 1's like they did last time.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Poor nav routing, no traffic, charger availability, or weather after APIM replacement Screenshot_20230120-194209

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't see any option to cancel, other than doing another master reset and waiting for the 14-day subscription hold to expire. (I don't want to do that.)

But it's an interesting idea. I may try calling the Connected Services number again and plead with them to escalate instead of forwarding me to other tier 1's like they did last time.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Poor nav routing, no traffic, charger availability, or weather after APIM replacement Screenshot_20230120-194209
Go to your Ford wallet and take out card and put it back in

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Go to your Ford wallet and take out card and put it back in
Ohhhhhhh. Hmm.... It shouldn't be related though since I've only authorized payments for plug and charge.

I'll take a look at that just in case.

I just tried turning Connected Navigation off in the vehicle. Turned off vehicle, locked door and closed it. Waited a minute or so before getting back in and turning it back on. Same as before but I figured that was worth one more try.

Also I forgot we can see satellite status in the regular nav app. It's very pretty! This is while inside the garage with the garage door closed:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Poor nav routing, no traffic, charger availability, or weather after APIM replacement PXL_20230121_025930355~2
Sponsored