Portland OR to El Paso TX.. Best travel route, best route planning tool?

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I'm having to drive the 1600+ miles to El Paso (and then back, don't ask long story)
I tried plugshare and it told warned me that I wouldn't make it using the route it planned out for me (???) What other tools are you using to plan long road trips.
Sponsored

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
A Better Route Planner (ABRP) app is the tool to use as recommended by @timbop above.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
A Better Route Planner says you will make it.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Portland OR to El Paso TX..  Best travel route, best route planning tool? 1656635567585
I'm guessing the vehicle setting on the ABRP run above was not for the MME 4XP. When I ran it, I get similar stops, but much shorter charge times. There's also a Cali routing through the San Joaquin Valley and LA. CA EA stations are solid, and the stops in AZ should be pretty solid as well.

I'd check Plugshare on the NM EA stations, but if it were me, I'd being biased toward the more southern route, of course time of year will factor as well.

FWiW ABRP seems to be a bit conservative, and it does take into account local road conditions and terrain.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Portland OR to El Paso TX..  Best travel route, best route planning tool? Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 6.14.29 PM

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
I agree with the I5 route south and over plan...might give you some more options / flexibility for your trip as I5 is flush with charging locations.

Julie and I just got back from a 1600 mile road trip through Bend to NorCal and back to Portland and were able to skip a couple of stops suggested by ABRP. YMMV of course....

Have you tried just plugging your destination into the Mach-E navigation?
Sponsored