Possible new buyer with service question.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
My wife is very interested in the Mach E. I have a Tesla which got her over her general EV fears. So, for those who have the Mach E, what sort of "regular service" is called for? Obviously no engine oil change... but what are the service intervals, and for what? Thanks!
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's really just inspecting things every 10k miles and changing the cabin air filter every 20k miles.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Every 3 years for brake fluid - unlimited miles.
150k for transmission fluid
200k for coolant - though I disagree, change this every 5 years OR 200k.

Keep in mind the transmission fluid is really differential fluid as the only gears in the vehicle are the front and rear differentials. Since the motors are liquid cooled with coolant and not the trans fluid literally the only reason to change the fluid is for differential life. I'd probably go as far to say it should be changed every 100k if you plan on keeping the car that long!

Coolant generally becomes more nasty the older it gets and can eat at seals in the system. That's why I say every 5 years. Most ICE Fords say 5 years, then every 3 years after.

OP
OP

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Thanks guys. Very helpful.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Every 3 years for brake fluid - unlimited miles.
150k for transmission fluid
200k for coolant - though I disagree, change this every 5 years OR 200k.

Keep in mind the transmission fluid is really differential fluid as the only gears in the vehicle are the front and rear differentials. Since the motors are liquid cooled with coolant and not the trans fluid literally the only reason to change the fluid is for differential life. I'd probably go as far to say it should be changed every 100k if you plan on keeping the car that long!

Coolant generally becomes more nasty the older it gets and can eat at seals in the system. That's why I say every 5 years. Most ICE Fords say 5 years, then every 3 years after.
Are the motors wet or dry in the Mach-E?
The traditional method is to have transmission fluid to lubricate the gears while it also cools the motor. The fluid falls into a sump that is cooled via heat transfer with the radiator fluid. There isn't gear oil used.....not the traditional 75w90 type. The transmission oil is closer to what you see in automatic ICE vehicles.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Are the motors wet or dry in the Mach-E?
The traditional method is to have transmission fluid to lubricate the gears while it also cools the motor. The fluid falls into a sump that is cooled via heat transfer with the radiator fluid. There isn't gear oil used.....not the traditional 75w90 type. The transmission oil is closer to what you see in automatic ICE vehicles.
So I did some more reading and it appears front and rear motors are different. The rear drive motor uses motorcraft ULV for the differential. There is a heat exchanger that the trans fluid goes through which is trans fluid to water. It appears to use the trans fluid to cool the motor itself.

The front drive is gear oil only. No heat exchanger like that. The coolant lines for the front go directly into the motor.

Each motor and each inverter has its own coolant lines, the only difference is the rear drive uses ATF and a heat exchanger while the front is gear oil and no heat exchanger.

4qt ULV rear capacity, 1 qt front 75W85 gear oil.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Got curious about the coolant life, so I looked it up. Interesting. This specification, Ford Specification WSS-M97B57-A2, led to this page.

Must be some super-duper stuff, LOL. Not that it matters to me, 50k miles is my limit on a vehicle. I'm just amazed over the improvements in materials.

• Recommended by Ford Motor Company meeting warranty requirements
  • Yellow-colored, ethylene glycol-based antifreeze/coolant for use in gasoline and diesel engines, and electric motors
  • Has an extended coolant life: Initial change-out at 10 years or 200,000 miles and every 5 years or 100,000 miles thereafter
  • Provides immediate corrosion protection and improved resistance to deposits created by certain chemical reactions
  • Ready-to-use. No need to add water. This 50/50 mixture of antifreeze/coolant and treated (purified) water provides year-round freeze protection down to -34 °F (-36.7 °C) and boiling protection up to 265 °F (129 °C)
  • Use only when specified
    • Approved to Ford Specification WSS-M97B57-A2. Use when Ford Specification WSS-M97B57-A2 is specified
    • Do not mix different colors or types of antifreeze/coolant in your vehicle unless directed by the vehicle manufacturer to do so. It is important to use the correct antifreeze/coolant.
Sponsored