Possible to have two phones connect wirelessly to CarPlay?

Blaned

First Name
Blane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, F150 Powerstroke; X3 28d, 911
Country flag
When I try to connect use Car Play on my phone, I get a message that I need to connect a usb cable to use this feature. However, my wife uses Car Play wirelessly. Is it possible to have two phones that can connect wirelessly?

For some context, she has the first profile and memory slot. Also, she has a iPhone 13 Pro and I have a 12 max. I could not find anything in the manual about wireless car play.
Sponsored

SpongeBad

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MACH E, 2013 Ford Escape
Country flag
We are able to switch between my wife's phone and mine and use both wirelessly, but not at the same time. In fact, it annoys me frequently because my wife's phone will connect before mine, even though I'm the first profile (usually I have our destinations already pre-programmed and ready to go for navigation). I have to manually tell it to connect to mine instead.

I believe you do have to enable Wireless CarPlay on the device for it to work, so maybe it's turned off on your phone? From what I remember, it asked me on the device when I first connected it, so if you accidentally tapped "no" at that time, it's possible that's why it's not working.

Maybe take a look under Settings -> General -> CarPlay in the phone and try turning it off then on again when in the car. I don't see an option to enable/disable wireless, specifically, but I'm not in the car right now, so it could also be context-sensitive.

jchen14

First Name
Jacky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
We are able to switch between my wife's phone and mine and use both wirelessly, but not at the same time. In fact, it annoys me frequently because my wife's phone will connect before mine, even though I'm the first profile (usually I have our destinations already pre-programmed and ready to go for navigation). I have to manually tell it to connect to mine instead.

I believe you do have to enable Wireless CarPlay on the device for it to work, so maybe it's turned off on your phone? From what I remember, it asked me on the device when I first connected it, so if you accidentally tapped "no" at that time, it's possible that's why it's not working.

Maybe take a look under Settings -> General -> CarPlay in the phone and try turning it off then on again when in the car. I don't see an option to enable/disable wireless, specifically, but I'm not in the car right now, so it could also be context-sensitive.
Ford should implement which CarPlay device to connect to depending on which PaaK it detects. If both are detected then maybe whichever device is on the driver's side? Seems too technically difficult though.

Mauser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e GT-PE Space White
Country flag
I've found that the phone which was first used to set up sync/CarPlay always defaults as the primary, even if that phone's not the one actually being used in the car. That's the frustrating part. There definitely needs to be some integration with the active profile.

I had to remove my phone and re-set up due to an issue early on. Since then, my wife's phone is now the primary and CarPlay/Sync will ALWAYS default to that one, even if she's not in the car with me when I leave.

OP
OP

Blaned

First Name
Blane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, F150 Powerstroke; X3 28d, 911
Country flag
I checked the phone and the settings seemed ok. Resorted to the remove device and re-add the phone and it is working now. I must have selected a wrong option when I first added as Spongebad suggested. All good now! Thanks!
Sponsored