Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others

Callerpj

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw T5, mach-E ordered
Country flag
Same for me,
would you please check
WF0TK1E75NMA59130,?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Does the car have to be at a certain state of charge or just get the 12V battery to 80%?
No. Just like an ICE vehicle has an alternator that recharges the 12V battery after you start and run for a few minutes, BEVs use the DC/DC converter to take energy from the HV battery pack and use that to recharge your 12V battery as you drive.

Owing to the smallish size of our 12V batteries (Mach-E and Lightning use the same battery) they get drained down below 80% after a few hours by all the systems that stay active when the vehicle is off. So it takes about 10-15 minutes for the vehicle to recharge that 12V battery after you start driving. The logic that is the gatekeeper for OTAs won't allow updates to process unless the 12V battery is at minimum 80% SOC.

That's why at 1:00 AM when Ford's default OTA check time comes up that no OTAs ever happen because the 12V battery is usually below that threshold by that time, as most people with day jobs cars have been sitting for maybe 5-6 hours by that time.

If you leave the car for a day or two and don't drive it and the charge drops below 40% the DC/DC converter uses HV battery to recharge back up again.

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, , so what about 4.2.1 software update? and are any of these a strong recommendation.
Well if you'd like to see that gateway (GWM) update show up, which is what you're looking for as a prelude to the APIM update with the new Sync UI, I'd say you need to have somebody do that PCM update (and all it's powertrain friends will come along -SOBDM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC) and then that GWM should magically appear in your list and as an OTA.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Mike,

if you still find time and energy, I would be highly pleased if you could check another European Mach-E RWD ER:
WF0TK1E78NMA09192
I don’t have the impression that my 2022 Job1 (?) has been updated recently via OTA. Esp. the entertainment module runs on an “extremely” old version v4.0.21297 Rev.253.
Therefore I would like to get some hints what I can tell my garage to check next time.

Many thanks in advance!!!
4 Feb '22 build date.

Here's the list of available updates:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others WF0TK1E78NMA09192-28-Apr-23

I would tell them that 1) that you'd like your powertrain updates done to improve the overall driving experience, 2) Your windshield sometimes fogs up when it's cold and you have to turn the defroster on high, 3) You sometimes experience charge errors when you are DC fast charging where you have to disconnect and restart the charge session, and 4). your phone Bluetooth connection sometimes stops working for no reason.

jmgreen

First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2022 RWD-ER
Country flag
4 Feb '22 build date.

I would tell them that 1) that you'd like your powertrain updates done to improve the overall driving experience, 2) Your windshield sometimes fogs up when it's cold and you have to turn the defroster on high, 3) You sometimes experience charge errors when you are DC fast charging where you have to disconnect and restart the charge session, and 4). your phone Bluetooth connection sometimes stops working for no reason.
Hi Mike, thanks so much for your help!!!!!!

james5454

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium
Country flag
So yeah...the response you got is really no surprise to most people on this thread.

Here's the list of available updates:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others WF0TK1E75NMA59130-28-Apr-23

If you do run into that tech again, ask them to explain why if your car doesn't have the correct actuator that there's a GFM update in your list.

Both that GFM and BCM together are the key to electric frunk access.

It just doesn't take that long to do this stuff really. The GFM is maybe two minutes and the BCM maybe 4-5. Of course they'll claim you have to leave the car for two days or some such nonsense.
Hey Mike,
I ordered a Mongoose adapter, a power supply and an FDRS license. I’ve been making my way through all of the update list. Started with the GFM and BCM and got the frunk release to work!

Is there any updates I shouldn’t do? The PCM is still showing run in green after it finished updating? And the OBCC now is in the same status. All the other SW Updates ran and then removed themself from FDRS after they were done. Thanks!

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey Mike,
I ordered a Mongoose adapter, a power supply and an FDRS license. I’ve been making my way through all of the update list. Started with the GFM and BCM and got the frunk release to work!

Is there any updates I shouldn’t do? The PCM is still showing run in green after it finished updating? And the OBCC now is in the same status. All the other SW Updates ran and then removed themself from FDRS after they were done. Thanks!
There are times when an update has processed successfully but when FDRS reports the completion to the server it doesn't 'register' initially.

Hit the "Rerun Network Test" button, if it still comes back with those two, hit it again. They should drop off. the PCM and OBCC both have been known to do this. Some people have said they needed to log completely off of FDRS and log back in...I've done that before but just spamming the Network Test button usually does the trick.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you run the tool to enable the center screen frunk button in Sync?

Oh, and there are no updates that I wouldn't run. They're all good. (I know that's not always the case but right now we're good to run all of them).

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also a good practice is clearing any CMDTCS before you start programming. So select "View CMDTCs" and then when the list of them come up (Orange ones)...look through them and then with the car fully on do a "Clear and Re-test" and then start programming after everything comes back "green". I also do a clear and re-test afterward in case I have a DTC caused by communication interruption between modules during programming. Happens all the time:

james5454

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium
Country flag
Did you run the tool to enable the center screen frunk button in Sync?

Oh, and there are no updates that I wouldn't run. They're all good. (I know that's not always the case but right now we're good to run all of them).
Awesome thanks Mike. Yeah ran that screen frunk button and all the module updates. Everything came up green. I’ll try the rerun network test after I hook up again to see if those 2 module updates go away. Really appreciate all your help, I found a Mongoose adapter on EBay for $395, a power supply and am very excited to not have to rely on the dealer service department for updates in the future.

Jscotty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Hi mike do you mind checking for me. My car is ready to be picked up from the dealer and they said they did all the updates. Just trying to double check while there. Thanks again.
3FMTK2SU5NMA40948

Linus83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
Would you mind checking my VIN?
3FMTK4SE9MME01780

I am getting numerous error faults when I drive above 55 mph. Dealer kept it for 3-4 days and claimed they made updates but all the same error faults returned.

alexxx840

First Name
Alexx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Grabber Blue MME
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No. Just like an ICE vehicle has an alternator that recharges the 12V battery after you start and run for a few minutes, BEVs use the DC/DC converter to take energy from the HV battery pack and use that to recharge your 12V battery as you drive.

Owing to the smallish size of our 12V batteries (Mach-E and Lightning use the same battery) they get drained down below 80% after a few hours by all the systems that stay active when the vehicle is off. So it takes about 10-15 minutes for the vehicle to recharge that 12V battery after you start driving. The logic that is the gatekeeper for OTAs won't allow updates to process unless the 12V battery is at minimum 80% SOC.

That's why at 1:00 AM when Ford's default OTA check time comes up that no OTAs ever happen because the 12V battery is usually below that threshold by that time, as most people with day jobs cars have been sitting for maybe 5-6 hours by that time.

If you leave the car for a day or two and don't drive it and the charge drops below 40% the DC/DC converter uses HV battery to recharge back up again.
12 Jun '22 build dte.

Here's the list of available updates (includes an APIM!):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others Programming

I'd set the "Check for Updates" schedule in Sync to check everyday at a time that is about 15 minutes into your morning or evening commute to allow your 12V battery to recharge, and so you're likely in a good coverage area for AT&T (min 3 bars). That's the best way to ensure OTAs get downloaded, and that way you'll get this APIM (Sync) update downloaded as an OTA.

The HVAC might come to your as OTA 4.2.5, but I think that APIM and another GWM (gateway) might have to come first, but I could be wrong.
i have another question if you would be so kind. Do you think any of my modules might be the wrong version?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi mike do you mind checking for me. My car is ready to be picked up from the dealer and they said they did all the updates. Just trying to double check while there. Thanks again.
3FMTK2SU5NMA40948
14 Jul '22 build date.

They did the powertrain updates and a PMI on the OBCC (I'm guess it might have been replaced due to the charging errors you were having?). OBCC controls HV battery charging.

Anyway, here's the stuff that they haven't done:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 3FMTK2SU5NMA40948-29-Apr-23

I know I said they did the powertrain updates, and there's still a PCM in your list above, but the session logs indicate it was done. Some of these updates don't clear right away after they're done and just reappear in the list. But it was done successfully.
Sponsored