Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
I recently took my 2022 in for scheduled maintenance and asked them to check and update modules. The dealership is notorious for not doing what was requested by the service writer, and since I had also gotten a letter from Ford about Customer Satisfaction Program 22B28 about module updates I wanted to check what had been done or not done. Thanks.

3FMTK3R78NMA19565
Interesting...two separate programming sessions on the 6th of Jan.

During the first one they did the 22B28 HVAC update and then disconnected.

During the second update session it looks like they made every attempt to do the rest of the updates:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 3FMTK3R78NMA19565-24-Jan-23Work

However...and for reasons that may be related to FDRS internet connectivity at that shop, a couple of the updates that supposedly were applied successfully (according to the session logs) are still in the available update list:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 3FMTK3R78NMA19565-24-Jan-23

Those are the only two updates you have showing currently. Hope this helps.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not familiar with the GWM and looked briefly at previous posts that said it facilitated communication between the car and Ford. Am I correct in thinking that the update to that would be a good kick in the rear to the car?
Well not really...that would be the Telematics Communication Unit (TCU). The GWM is the gateway module and you should think of that as the network router and switch for your entire car. It connects everything together. When new features come out for the car...the gateway has to be updated first to allow the new features to function when the other relevant module(s) are updated. This is why you will almost always see a gateway update precede an APIM (Sync) update.

But to answer your question...anytime there is a gateway update it should be done first because it's quite possible that doing that update will result in new updates to appear in your list that bring improvements or added features.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This thread seems to have become the most popular thread on our Mach E forum :D I've learned a lot by following the discussion - thanks to all here!

Last edited:

RustyDetroit

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mach-E
Country flag
I have learned quite a lot as well. A family member told me to make an account to have my VIN checked and your posts have given me good information when I speak with our service writer later today. It is a very different experience than a Maverick we have with Sync 3. After purchasing the car attached it to WiFi, hit the check for update button in the system settings, and it started downloading the update. Took about an hour and granted it was a long alphanumeric version number with no release notes but I could probably find something if I search for it.

Mark Hassa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Rapid Red Mach E Awd SR
Occupation
Food Inspector
Country flag
Hi Mike,
Any way you can check the VIN for my wife’s Explorer? Now that I’m getting updates again, my focus has now turned to the other vehicle.
1FM5K8GCXLGD11053

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Mike,
Any way you can check the VIN for my wife’s Explorer? Now that I’m getting updates again, my focus has now turned to the other vehicle.
1FM5K8GCXLGD11053
Absolutely:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 1FM5K8GCXLGD11053-24-Jan-23

Remember, GWM, TCU first...then I'd do all the nitnoid stuff like the doors and folding seat and then go for the possibly longer items like the IPMB etc.

Mark Hassa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Rapid Red Mach E Awd SR
Occupation
Food Inspector
Country flag
Absolutely:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 1FM5K8GCXLGD11053-24-Jan-23

Remember, GWM, TCU first...then I'd do all the nitnoid stuff like the doors and folding seat and then go for the possibly longer items like the IPMB etc.
Thank you so much Mike! Now to find a way to convince the service writer. Explorer ST forum has nothing compared to this site.

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I hope i am not cluttering up this thread with this thought:

Can someone, most likely a Ford apologist, make sense of how its fair/okay/kosher/cool/legal. To have all of these updates for known problems in our BRAND NEW cars and they not be given to us for free? (without having to make up a lie or having something go bad first?)

Why would I want to wait until, or see if, my car will have the problem. Shouldn't we all just receive the updates? This car receiving updates was a big part of the selling point. The little ones we get to the ui and such are cool but uh, i'd much prefer these.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Not a Ford guy here (see the arrowhead car in my avatar). 🤪🐩

As I understand it, if you have a problem that is covered by a CSP or TSB, Ford will pay your dealer for their time to update the software. Those are the known problems. If you have a problem that is not currently covered, you should open up a dialogue with Ford Customer Service (the BEV team in particular) so that something gets done to cover the issue. 🤷‍♂️🐩

pudnocker

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Checking if someone would please run a quick search in FDRS for my VIN to see what versions I have.

VIN# 3FMTK3SU3MMA09279

I've had many issues getting updates on my 2021 Premium. I have not gotten the hands free BC update yet, and the dealership said that they could not update 21g01 since there was a bug in the APIM software discovered at the beginning of the year.

I'm on the fence on buying an FDRS license and Mongoose. It's a lot to invest in, but I also like to know where I am.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Checking if someone would please run a quick search in FDRS for my VIN to see what versions I have.

VIN# 3FMTK3SU3MMA09279

I've had many issues getting updates on my 2021 Premium. I have not gotten the hands free BC update yet, and the dealership said that they could not update 21g01 since there was a bug in the APIM software discovered at the beginning of the year.

I'm on the fence on buying an FDRS license and Mongoose. It's a lot to invest in, but I also like to know where I am.
Here's the current and very short list of available updates for your car:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others 3FMTK3SU3MMA09279-24-Jan-23

So I knew there was supposed to be a moratorium/hiatus/pause on dealer techs updating BC on vehicles that have never had it working since the car rolled out of the plant.

This is the first time I'm hearing that the reason given for the delay this time is an APIM software bug. That's a new one. All I've heard before was that there were problems and it was temporarily suspended.

The rev of the APIM software you currently have is "MU5T-14G676-EJ" which as others who have followed these revisions can probably attest is a version that theoretcially should support BlueCruise functions in Sync (switchology). I am just spitballing but I don't think the Sync module is the problem area, but given the lack of information surrounding the whole BC programming temporary pause I have nothing substantial to back that up.

I ran a VIN for a guy with a '22 Lightning today and his BC now doesn't work as well. The service advisor told him that Ford said they couldn't do any BC programming because of the "pause".

So this service advisor wasn't making the distinction between a vehicle that has never had BC working (which is the subject of the "pause")...and one that had it working from the factory...but then stopped working (which isn't subject to the pause in diagnosis and repair AFAIK). Those are two different scenarios, but the service advisor apparently is under the impression that merely saying the word BlueCruise is enough to give the customer a "talk to the hand" response.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So I knew there was supposed to be a moratorium/hiatus/pause on dealer techs updating BC on vehicles that have never had it working since the car rolled out of the plant.

This is the first time I'm hearing that the reason given for the delay this time is an APIM software bug. That's a new one. All I've heard before was that there were problems and it was temporarily suspended.
They are probably looking at this and adding their own interpretation to it. Ford has not officially said to stop APIM updates.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 5.37.26 PM

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
WF0TK4SX6MME02905

No updates yet ?

pudnocker

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Here's the current and very short list of available updates for your car:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Post here if you have an active FDRS account and are willing to look up info for others Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 5.37.26 PM

The rev of the APIM software you currently have is "MU5T-14G676-EJ" which as others who have followed these revisions can probably attest is a version that theoretcially should support BlueCruise functions in Sync (switchology). I am just spitballing but I don't think the Sync module is the problem area, but given the lack of information surrounding the whole BC programming temporary pause I have nothing substantial to back that up.

I ran a VIN for a guy with a '22 Lightning today and his BC now doesn't work as well. The service advisor told him that Ford said they couldn't do any BC programming because of the "pause".

So this service advisor wasn't making the distinction between a vehicle that has never had BC working (which is the subject of the "pause")...and one that had it working from the factory...but then stopped working (which isn't subject to the pause in diagnosis and repair AFAIK). Those are two different scenarios, but the service advisor apparently is under the impression that merely saying the word BlueCruise is enough to give the customer a "talk to the hand" response.

Thank you Mike. As luck would have it, after I posted the request, I got an update, and a message that stated that 21G01 was complete. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

The dealer did indeed quote the Jan 4 Hold statement. The rest of the info from the dealer was that many dealerships reported issues installing the updates. They supposed it was from not having proper charging equipment, or incomplete updates that bricked the APIMs.

I took it out yesterday, and I do indeed have hands free - ish. It keeps cycling between hands on and hands off, but it is the first time it has every come up. I'm hoping that now that it has this update, it will continue to get the rest. My power up level was still from Sept 22, and seems random for which one gets installed.

Thanks again for being willing to help a complete stranger. You are an excellent human.