derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I've been lurking for months and appreciate many of the posts here. I just wanted to share this in case it helps someone decide... I've had my MME for about a week and I knew I was not happy with the look of the premium wheels. However I was not ready to pull the trigger on a new set of rims and tires yet. So I had the premium wheels powder coated gloss black and the calipers powder coated gloss red. Turned out pretty nice and was quite inexpensive...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder Coated Mach-E Factory Wheels mach-e powdercoated wheels
Sponsored

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Nice! How much is "inexpensive" (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm in SoCal as well, maybe I'll meander over and get me some powder coating. :cool:

65coupe&21mache

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 c-code Mustang; 21 Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
You really should get the black lug nuts as well IMHO.

Got mine done too. I actually really like the silver on black with the lug nuts and center cap staying original. All personal preference. But bottom line, glossy black on premium wheels looks great!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder Coated Mach-E Factory Wheels PXL_20210623_024306837

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice! How much is "inexpensive" (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm in SoCal as well, maybe I'll meander over and get me some powder coating. :cool:
It was $460 to get all 4 wheels done, and $100 per caliper. Made an appointment to drop it off in the morning and picked it up at the end of the day. Check out Baid Polish in Anaheim. I found them on Yelp, they do quality work at very reasonable prices....

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Had the same thing done to my FE. Cost $600.
You really should get the black lug nuts as well IMHO.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder Coated Mach-E Factory Wheels PXL_20210623_024306837
Yes, I think it was your car I saw that helped me make up my mind. That's why I decided to post mine in case it would help someone else who may be thinking about it... as far as black lugs, I considered that, but i decided to keep the center caps silver, and there are silver accents around the pony on the back, etc... so for now I am good with the silver lugs...

Last edited by a moderator:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So you guys all turned your cars into California Route 1's??? LOL
Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder Coated Mach-E Factory Wheels 1625699602920

(well minus the brake calipers)

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I've been lurking for months and appreciate many of the posts here. I just wanted to share this in case it helps someone decide... I've had my MME for about a week and I knew I was not happy with the look of the premium wheels. However I was not ready to pull the trigger on a new set of rims and tires yet. So I had the premium wheels powder coated gloss black and the calipers powder coated gloss red. Turned out pretty nice and was quite inexpensive... View attachment 31827
Did they pull the calipers off to do the job? If so, was there any issues with getting them back on and working properly?

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did they pull the calipers off to do the job? If so, was there any issues with getting them back on and working properly?
Yes... this is why I think the pricing is quite good. To do the powder coating, they have to remove the wheels from the car, the tires from the wheels... the calipers from the car... it all needs to be done in a chamber that is free of particles and it adheres at high heat. None of that can be done while the parts are still on the car. I have replaced my fair share of brake pads over the years so I know what is involved, and they do this like every day. Also I picked this place because they had done a lot of cars which were much more high end than my MME. My criteria was not lowest price, but rather quality of clientele... I am happy the price was very reasonable but I would definitely not go with the lowest price bidder for a project like this....

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
Yes... this is why I think the pricing is quite good. To do the powder coating, they have to remove the wheels from the car, the tires from the wheels... the calipers from the car... it all needs to be done in a chamber that is free of particles and it adheres at high heat. None of that can be done while the parts are still on the car. I have replaced my fair share of brake pads over the years so I know what is involved, and they do this like every day. Also I picked this place because they had done a lot of cars which were much more high end than my MME. My criteria was not lowest price, but rather quality of clientele... I am happy the price was very reasonable but I would definitely not go with the lowest price bidder for a project like this....
Do they typically lift the whole car and take off all 4 wheels at the same time? Thinking of doing it too but concerned that the body shop has no idea how to appropriately lift an electric car. Worried about them messing up the battery if it needs to be fully lifted. If they just take them off with regular jacks I guess that's less of a reason to worry.

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do they typically lift the whole car and take off all 4 wheels at the same time? Thinking of doing it too but concerned that the body shop has no idea how to appropriately lift an electric car. Worried about them messing up the battery if it needs to be fully lifted. If they just take them off with regular jacks I guess that's less of a reason to worry.
Good question, I did not actually see the area where they did this. However this shop I went to has done a whole bunch of Teslas, so at least for this vendor it is not a concern of mine. But in general I would think that a full lift would be better than individual jacks.

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
Good question, I did not actually see the area where they did this. However this shop I went to has done a whole bunch of Teslas, so at least for this vendor it is not a concern of mine. But in general I would think that a full lift would be better than individual jacks.
Yeah makes sense. I'll try to find out if these guys worked on any Tesla's. Thanks!

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
It definitely turned out better than expected. I was planning to get new rims but my guy gave me a good price with the other work I was getting done. It was enough for me to just stick with it for the time being. Only real thing I’m considering is the black lugs or not. I kind of like the way the silver looks with the silver center caps.

61998C74-AF1A-4F7E-8262-CEDE8E6D1DE5.jpeg