Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e (premium AWD)
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
Wanted black wheels, but loved the style of the OEM wheels the car comes with. So, for a fraction of the cost of buying new wheels I just had a local paint shop professionally powder coat the wheels. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Very pleased with how things turned out. I also painted the calipers myself, & opted for a custom Porsche Carmine Red.

20221108_145708.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

chuyqwerty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Looks awesome. This is exactly what I want to do. I am glad I found a photos of the Premium wheels in black because I was not sure if they would look good.

May I ask what paint did you use for the calipers and any tips? I also want to do it myself as well.

Where did you get your wheel powder coated?

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
Looks awesome. This is exactly what I want to do. I am glad I found a photos of the Premium wheels in black because I was not sure if they would look good.

May I ask what paint did you use for the calipers and any tips? I also want to do it myself as well.

Where did you get your wheel powder coated?
Caliper paint from G2
https://www.g2usa.com/

Expensive because it was a custom, made to order red paint (Porsche Carmine Red... some spell it Karmine) ....this caliper paint is not spray on, but comes with a little brush. Less prep and pretty dummy proof. However, if you want to save over $100 & don't mind spraying, there are much cheaper alternatives out there, including a surprisingly nice red caliper paint from Rustolium (Amazon) that is a satin finish. The G2 I used scared me at first because it is a very high gloss. But I've come to like it.
G2 comes with a cleaning spray solvent (in sure most spray on break cleaners can also be used if you don't go with G2). My recommendation would be to be more thorough cleaning, especially with the front calipers. My first two coats weren't covering well (little areas that pooled away from the metal... others have had that trouble as well w/ the front calipers). Later my friend thought an additional good cleaning with a rag and alcohol might have prevented that. Regardless, the third coat covered and the paint kind of levels itself off as it dries.
I put the car on jack stands (youtubes show how) and took the wheels to a place in Boise, ID called Hubcap Annie's (cheaper to remove my own wheels, rather than leave car with them) . They're specialty is "all things custom wheels". They were highly recommended by a car detailer. While the car was on jack stands & while waiting for the wheels to be powder coated, I painted the calipers. Oh, I wanted black lug nuts. Some folks prefer more silver so they keep the silver OEM lugs with the black wheel and silver center hub piece. Just a personal preference.... I ordered my black lugs on Amazon.
(14x1.5 OEM Factory Style Large Acorn Seat Wheel Lug Nuts, 20 PCS M14x1.5 Closed End One-Piece Lugnuts for Grand Cherokee/Wrangler/Mustang/Camaro/RAM 1500)

Hope this helps.

MrMache

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Mach-e 2WD Extended
Country flag
Looks great! Can't wait for my 23' premium Space White with Nite Pony. I'm planning to paint my calipers a light blue or teal.

clement.48

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
So I am interested in doing this but have one main question. What did you do with the vehicle while the wheels were off, leave it on a lift? did the shop take off the wheels, remove the tires and lift the car while they did the powder coating?

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
I DYI'd it.....I put my mme on four jack stands (youtubes show how to do this), removed the tires, and ran them in to the powder coating shop. It took them about five days to complete... I did this so I could paint the calipers and also it was cheaper if I took off the tires myself rather than leaving the car with the wheel guys.

Ninja4hire

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Shadow Black Mach-e GT, 2018 Camaro SS
Occupation
Not a paid assassin!
Country flag
I also painted my calipers with G2, but opted for their standard blue. This is on a GT, so they were previously red. I did a quick light sand, but didn't actually remove any of the red beforehand. The scariest part was leaving the car on 4 jack stands while I circled the car several times painting the calipers.

FYI I ordered mine on Amazon

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red mache_03

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
Wow.... beautiful! Where did you get the caliber decal (& what does it say?)?
(& I'm with you on concern over the car sitting only on the jack stands while working )😊)

NiceandSimpleMache

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future 2023 Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Wanted black wheels, but loved the style of the OEM wheels the car comes with. So, for a fraction of the cost of buying new wheels I just had a local paint shop professionally powder coat the wheels. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Very pleased with how things turned out. I also painted the calipers myself, & opted for a custom Porsche Carmine Red.

20221108_145708.jpg
I want to get my Rims black also like that. I wanted to get the car fully PFF but that will cost me 6k. So I'm just going to get the Rims done like yours, Ceramics Coated inside/outside, and get my windows tinted as it is for the front windows. Maybe think about getting the Calipers painted.

I hope I can find someone to do it in the DMV area.

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
I didn't mention it, but I tinted my front too. Great minds😊

Knuckles39

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red mache_03
Look like mine. I added black center caps with a silver mustang logo. The center caps light up white when moving

6B404560-FCD8-4B35-B170-9354C8601ED6.jpeg

EBB9CFA0-A3E2-4C70-B022-5DE332A9CA20.jpeg

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
Thanks...I wanted to see what they looked like with black center caps.... looks great!

BlackOnGray

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 DMG MME AWD
Country flag
So I am interested in doing this but have one main question. What did you do with the vehicle while the wheels were off, leave it on a lift? did the shop take off the wheels, remove the tires and lift the car while they did the powder coating?
It costed a bit more, but for mine I found a local wheel repair company who came out, jacked up the car in my garage, took the wheels off, brought them to their shop to powder coat overnight, then came back and reinstalled the following evening. Extremely convenient, especially if you don’t have a Jack or Jack stands.

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
Oh that's a great option...I didn't know this was even an option for folks. Great for peace of mind and convenience.

Ninja4hire

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Shadow Black Mach-e GT, 2018 Camaro SS
Occupation
Not a paid assassin!
Country flag
Wow.... beautiful! Where did you get the caliber decal (& what does it say?)?
(& I'm with you on concern over the car sitting only on the jack stands while working )😊)
I got the decals from Amazon also.
Sponsored