Knuckles39

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Did you have to remove the break calipers to paint them?
The powder coating shop painted them on the car. With that being said, I am not happy with how they held up. The red is flaking off. Iā€™m not sure if a clear coat was put over it so I suspect thatā€™s the issue. Iā€™m going to get it re-done. Most places donā€™t remove the brakes. If you find one that does maybe go then powder coating route instead of paint

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If you are going to spend all that money to have the calipers removed and disassembled, spend the extra bucks to have the calipers done in ceramic like Jet-Hot. Powder coating is good for a few hundred degrees F. Jet-Hot and other ceramic coatings were designed to be used on headers so they can withstand over a thousand F. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e (premium AWD)
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
I am getting mine done this week will post pics of finished product. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay? I am paying about $1,200 for powder coat the wheels and brake calipers

OP
OP

Toelowe

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e (premium AWD)
Occupation
CEO sm company
Country flag
I painted my own calipers while my wheels were in getting powder coated. Put the car on jack stands and then removed & replaced my own wheels. So my costs were less as a result.

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I opted to plastidip my wheels and then gloss them with Spraymax 2k gloss. Total cost less than $50. If you need 4 jack stands, that's an additional $52. Floor jack is about $56 for a 2 ton jack. Torque wrench about $65 more or less. Overall still much cheaper than other options, and you end up with tools. 4 coats of plastidip (took a total of 2 cans), and 1 can 2k. This is my 4th time plastidipping wheels. I did my F150 about 4 years ago (without gloss) and they still look great, even after taking it to the tire store to get rotated and balanced periodically. I'm really surprised how well the lug nuts hold up. Best of all, if you don't like it or screw up (hard to do), you can simply peel the dip off your wheels. If you get any scratches or chips, you can easily touch it up. It's not that hard to spray them with your wheels on if you don't want to jack up your car. Just run plastic behind the wheel and in front of rotors. If I had to do these again, I would have let the air out of the tires and used the paint chip color cards instead of taping. Faster and easier. While my wheels were off, I decided to simply tape the calipers and spray red with Rustoleum red caliper paint. $9 at Walmart. Super easy to tape and paint.

You don't have to spend big bucks to blackout your wheels. Took me 2 hours the first day taking tires off, taping, and spraying the first of 4 coats (30 mins between coats) for a total of about 4 hours, and then 10 minutes the next day to apply the 2k gloss in 2 coats, and another 45 minutes putting tires back on. Make sure you have a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs or more, and a size 21mm socket. Let tires cure for at least 24 hours before mounting and driving.

PS - I didn't care about the mustang in the center wheel caps. I'll either paint the emblem by hand in red, or just buy new ones already done. That is, if I really care too much about it! :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red PXL_20230429_014236519

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red PXL_20230429_014244728

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red PXL_20230427_223243764

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red PXL_20230427_014751249

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red PXL_20230427_223243764

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Got my wheels done professionally and I am super stoked. Wheels and calipers were both powder coated, the tires were removed so the entire wheel was painted. The calipers were painted while on the car. Also the center area of the rotors were painted black. The mustang emblem on the break caliper was the shop owner's idea. Any members near the Northern Virginia area, look up NV Coatings - full service shop for this kind of work.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red image_50411265.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red image_67220225.JPG

MICO

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Rapid Red
Country flag
The powder coating shop painted them on the car. With that being said, I am not happy with how they held up. The red is flaking off. Iā€™m not sure if a clear coat was put over it so I suspect thatā€™s the issue. Iā€™m going to get it re-done. Most places donā€™t remove the brakes. If you find one that does maybe go then powder coating route instead of paint

MICO

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Rapid Red
Country flag
I always hated the stock look of the OEM calipers. One day, I decided to take action. I went to my local automotive supple house and bought a can of red high temperature spray paint, matched my Rapid Red perfectly. The paint is used for valve cover; $14, a steal.

I jacked my MME up and took off the weels. A lot of blue tape and a lot of patience along with newspaper to use as a screen; about 45 minutes per wheel and the job is done. I even painted the dust covers
All said, a very satisfying DYI project
Itā€™s been over a month now and thereā€™s no sign of flaking or cracking of the paint. I wash my MME every week
Try it, you got nothing to loose except those drab grey stock calipers got

IMG_1211.jpeg

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I always hated the stock look of the OEM calipers. One day, I decided to take action. I went to my local automotive supple house and bought a can of red high temperature spray paint, matched my Rapid Red perfectly. The paint is used for valve cover; $14, a steal.

I jacked my MME up and took off the weels. A lot of blue tape and a lot of patience along with newspaper to use as a screen; about 45 minutes per wheel and the job is done. I even painted the dust covers
All said, a very satisfying DYI project
Itā€™s been over a month now and thereā€™s no sign of flaking or cracking of the paint. I wash my MME every week
Try it, you got nothing to loose except those drab grey stock calipers got

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powder coated OEM wheels black & painted brake calipers Carmine Red IMG_1211
looks good... for me painting the wheels was the primary objective, but once the wheels are off the calipers became a cost effective option so I bit the bullet and did them as well