Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD LR
Country flag
Last night while the car was charging we experienced a brief power outage. ( 3 seconds ). Car showed "charge fault".

I went outside some time later and unplugged the car. Then plugged it back in. Got a "red ring" (solid). Charge fault message in app.

I unplugged level 2 charger. Switcher breaker off and on. Used both the grizzle level 2 and also opened up the ford level 2 charger. Same error. Took the car for a short drive and same error. Let the car rest overnight and same error

The car does briefly attempt to charge for maybe 6 seconds and then fails.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Have you tried to reset the 12V battery ?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Last night while the car was charging we experienced a brief power outage. ( 3 seconds ). Car showed "charge fault".

I went outside some time later and unplugged the car. Then plugged it back in. Got a "red ring" (solid). Charge fault message in app.

I unplugged level 2 charger. Switcher breaker off and on. Used both the grizzle level 2 and also opened up the ford level 2 charger. Same error. Took the car for a short drive and same error. Let the car rest overnight and same error

Any ideas?
Are there any error messages in the car?

Turn the car on and check for a service Vehicle soon messsge and anything else. Turn the car off, exit and close the door and leave it untouched for 5 to 10 minutes. Try charging again and see if you get a red ring or not. If you do, take your car to a public charger and see if it charges there. If it does, the issue is with your charger if it still won’t charge, you may have a car problem snd a trip to the dealer is in order.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'll try. How? The green disconnect under the hood?
no, that is the HV disconnect.

easiest to pull neg term cable off 12v battery, wait ten minutes, re-connect.
this 'hard reset' may clear things up.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Does it charge on 110? Maybe a bad phase in the 220, unlikely but things happen.

OP
OP
Calgary MACH E

Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does it charge on 110? Maybe a bad phase in the 220, unlikely but things happen.
It does not charge on the 110. Same error.

The car does indicate on the dash it needs service after the fault.

I may try the hard reset with the negative terminal. Has this had success in the past?

I'm frankly a little startled a small power outage even started this issue at all.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
It does not charge on the 110. Same error.

The car does indicate on the dash it needs service after the fault.

I may try the hard reset with the negative terminal. Has this had success in the past?

I'm frankly a little startled a small power outage even started this issue at all.
power 'blinks' are really hard on some equipment.... when everything comes back on all at once there can be huge in-rush current, voltage drop, and sensitive equipment can freak and 'lock out' in an error condition.

I have read several threads with 'red circle' lockouts being cleared with 12v disconnect. you might search threads a bit, but it's easy, and worth a try.

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My Ford charger didn't survive the first power surge after a power outage. Added a whole house surge surpressor and a new Chargepoint charger.

OP
OP
Calgary MACH E

Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I did not do the 12v disconnect. It is at a dealer that I spoke with at length this morning. They were extremely helpful. I'll update as soon as I discover what the fix was , etc.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Any ideas?
Hi Tye. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Following out of curiosity and to see the solution.

OP
OP
Calgary MACH E

Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After testing they determined that same morning that they needed to replace a part ( I believe charging module but I'll get specific confirmation later ). They phoned same day with that solution and notified me the part was going to be shipped to them from Ontario. We'll be subject to that wait time and then I'm sure it will be installed in short order after they receive it.

While there they also quoted a reasonable price for 1st service. Less than 1/3 the cost of some other dealers in the same area and more in line with my expectations.

When the service is completed and I have the specific part description I'll update with the final news and I'll share what dealership I took it to (because the service thus far has been excellent and I expect I'll feel that way when it is over). I was given a loaner vehicle. So far I'm impressed with the quality of service.

Reactions: RLW
OP
OP
Calgary MACH E

Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Picked up the car. I want to start by saying Okotoks Ford south of Calgary, AB is a great place to take your Mach E. They kept me updated and were open about the process throughout. Great customer service.

3 "parts" are listed on invoice.
LJ9Z 7B012c
LJ9Z 10B689 J
"Core Charge"
Those are listed as part numbers.

"Remove and replace secondary onboard charger". Remove and replace SOBDM.

Nearly all the wait time in this process was due to waiting on the part(s). The car was fixed in about a day after the part arrived.

Car is charging properly.

So that wraps up this incident, folks. I added a NEMA 14-50 surge protector.. but I since everything else in the home was unaffected I'm more worried it was associated simply with the rapid power off and on cycling.
Sponsored