'Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power' followed by 'Service Vehicle Soon' alert displayed

SAVAGE

First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
Country flag
So driving home Thursday night with it being a cool -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the snow beginning to fall, I was sitting at a red light on the top of a hill when the light turned green and I tried to proceed. I attempted to accelerate and the car hesitated and felt like it lost all power and then I received the following alert on the dash 'Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power' followed by the 'Service Vehicle Soon' alert. The vehicle wouldn't go more than 1 mph and was jerking horribly. I was finally able to get it out of the intersection onto the side of the road, where I completely turned everything off, waited five minutes and then turned the car back on. Unfortunately the alert was still there. The car seemed to drive mostly fine after that but honestly 'freaked me out' with only 120 miles on the car. I was able to make it home (about 15 miles away) with the alert still on the dash. On Friday morning, I went back out to check on the status of the car and the alert had cleared. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in if it happens again or if I get any other errors. Just wanted to pass this along to see if anyone else has had any "mechanical issues" like this.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power' followed by 'Service Vehicle Soon' alert displayed 1613230530719

Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power' followed by 'Service Vehicle Soon' alert displayed 1613230583306

Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power' followed by 'Service Vehicle Soon' alert displayed 1613230559949

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I’m curious, do you know if your car was part of the stop ship quality repair? This appears to be the second car we have seen with this issue.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
So driving home Thursday night with it being a cool -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the snow beginning to fall, I was sitting at a red light on the top of a hill when the light turned green and I tried to proceed. I attempted to accelerate and the car hesitated and felt like it lost all power and then I received the following alert on the dash 'Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power' followed by the 'Service Vehicle Soon' alert. The vehicle wouldn't go more than 1 mph and was jerking horribly. I was finally able to get it out of the intersection onto the side of the road, where I completely turned everything off, waited five minutes and then turned the car back on. Unfortunately the alert was still there. The car seemed to drive mostly fine after that but honestly 'freaked me out' with only 120 miles on the car. I was able to make it home (about 15 miles away) with the alert still on the dash. On Friday morning, I went back out to check on the status of the car and the alert had cleared. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in if it happens again or if I get any other errors. Just wanted to pass this along to see if anyone else has had any "mechanical issues" like this.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power' followed by 'Service Vehicle Soon' alert displayed 1613230559949

Looks like @machefan and you will get the same repair. You not ♥ Ford right now, Ford not ♥ LG Chem.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Uh oh. I'm not liking the sound of this...
LG chem sued SKI (whom Ford was planning to use for batteries in the eF-150 and other cars), and a judge prohibited SKI from selling batteries in the US for 10 years.

It has NO effect on your Mach-E's LG chem battery

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Looks like @machefan and you will get the same repair. You not ♥ Ford right now, Ford not ♥ LG Chem.
I would easily love Ford again if they own up to this issue, because as we know these errors are logged and shared directly with engineering. My dealer who is in the middle is at the mercy of what Ford tells them and last time it was just to reset everything (take 1), take 2 will to do another discovery on Monday (I might push it to Wednesday, due to work). I received the power train message twice, one stuck and one reset on its own. However I never lost any power and if I had the same situation as Savage I would really be mad. There is an issue for sure that is not just me, however it appears intermittent which can be most difficult to troubleshoot and or prove.

I only have 86 miles on it.

Ford where are you :)

Last edited:

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LG chem sued SKI (whom Ford was planning to use for batteries in the eF-150 and other cars), and a judge prohibited SKI from selling batteries in the US for 10 years.

It has NO effect on your Mach-E's LG chem battery
Yes, saw this in the news recently. I hope that is the extent of the reference.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Luck of the draw, it appears this impacts a small subset of owners but as more take delivery the list could grow.
I guess I'll know in a few weeks.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Sorry to hear this. I can see why you freaked out a bit. I have the same error message but it appeared without any actual drama, went away, and then reappeared. Might be something totally different.

They don't sound like the same cause. @machefan seems to have a charging related issue. This seems like an actual propulsion issue. I have the same message but doesn't seem related to either, though perhaps to charging.

IOW the same generic error message may have more than one cause.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I would easily love Ford again if they own up to this issue, because as we know these errors are logged and shared directly with engineering. My dealer who is in the middle is at the mercy of what Ford tells them and so was it was just to reset everything (take 1), take 2 will to do another discovery on Monday (I might push it to Wednesday, due to work). I received the power train message twice, one stuck and one reset on its own. However I never lost any power and if I had the same situation as Savage I would really be mad. There is an issue for sure that is not just me, however it appears intermittent which can be most difficult to troubleshoot and or prove.

I only have 86 miles on it.

Ford where are you :)
This is not good to see and Ford obviously has issues to work out. In the meantime it really SUCKS not to trust your new car not to leave you stranded.

BUT - this is a brand new car with a brand new issue you ran into less than a week ago. You said it yourself: "it appears intermittent which can be most difficult to troubleshoot". Certainly they have internal diagnostic logs that prove it happened, so it is unlikely for them to play the "prove it" game.

Maybe wait to say Ford isn't owning the issue until they actually have time to investigate it?

If 3 weeks from now Ford comes back with "it's in spec", then I'll be right up front next to you carrying a pitchfork - but until then maybe give them a chance to do the right thing.
Sponsored