OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Based on my experience - yes, it holds better. I actually use Satin Black not Matte Black, it's a small difference but the Satin color has a bit of sheen to it.
One argument I can give in favor of satin vs gloss in terms of resilience to scratches is this - when I buy a roll of gloss black, it comes with the so called cap sheet. This is a thin 1mil film on top of the actual vinyl (throughout the entire width & length of it) which we have to remove prior to cutting. The reason for this film's existence is to protect the material itself. Only the gloss colors (at least for 3M) have this cap sheet, satin/matte/textured colors don't.
I appreciate it! Order placed!

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm wondering if a clear ppf for the pillar wraps would be better. Wouldn't have to worry about it getting scratched up.
If only I didn't let mine get scratched up already, trying to hide it now!

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I will be ordering. I really want to gloss black out the Select 18 inch wheel.

DadwithaMach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD Ext
Occupation
Help Desk Manager
Country flag
I always like to take on a challenge just a few questions

- I'm pretty handy/DIY within reason, on a hard scale 1-5 what is this?
- Are there warranties that come along with the product most companies/products do 10 year
- I'm in Michigan and plan to get my car in late Dec, is there a certain temp that is needed to apply?
- Is there any waiting period that needs to happen prior to hitting the road?

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
ILIYA
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Just noticed, you’re located in Concord? If so, then we are neighbors. How much time you need to take measurements?
Yes! Actually the office (where we manufacture everything) is in Concord. I and my wife do all the designs in our garage though and we're in Pleasant Hill. I'd absolutely love it if you can provide the car for a bit. Based on my experience I'd say about 2-3 hours should be enough to have a finished product. Happy to lend you our Model 3 in the meantime so you have transport. DM me if interested.

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
ILIYA
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I always like to take on a challenge just a few questions

1. I'm pretty handy/DIY within reason, on a hard scale 1-5 what is this?
2. Are there warranties that come along with the product most companies/products do 10 year
3. I'm in Michigan and plan to get my car in late Dec, is there a certain temp that is needed to apply?
4. Is there any waiting period that needs to happen prior to hitting the road?
1. Hardness - depends on the product actually... the hood and lights tints/ppf I would say is 4, the rest is 3 and under. Most of the stuff is very easy to install. For each product there is an installation video of me showing how to install it. We also provide you the install kit (though basic) minus the heat gun for now (for the headlights you'd benefit a heathen or a hair dryer).

2. Currently we do it this way - if once you receive it there is an issue before you install it - I will send you a free replacement. This is very rare as we usually catch issues during production but mistakes have happened. If something happens during install I can provide replacement pieces at a heavy discount. If something happens down the road though - there is no warranty currently as I haven't figured out how to handle this yet.

3. Optimal temperatures for such installs are 60-70F. If it's much hotter than that (say 90F) installations are very tricky as the water dries up super fast and you end up with bubbles. If it's much colder than that, flat pieces are easy to do but curves may require a heat gun to stick, as generally the material becomes harder at cold temperatures and less cooperative at curves. A heat gun or hair dryer fixes that though.

4. I recommend people to give it at least 2 hours after install before they go out, and 2 days before using a car wash. In my experience, the safest installations are the ones that people do in their garage at 60-70F and do it in the evening so the film has all night to cure to some decent level. That would require good lighting though otherwise you may miss some bubbles/water deposits for wet installs.

Quadzilla

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
I am about to starting next week. But happy to recommend stuff from Amazon, just let me know what kind of job are you looking to do so I can recommend the right tools (i.e. vinyl, PPF, wet install, dry install, wrap around or la flat etc)
Was planning to try starting off wrapping some interior pieces in CF vinyl wrap. There's a lot of choices on Amazon so wanted to get a professional's opinion. Also happy to support a forum sponsor as well so can wait until you have a set available.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you! Will ship it tomorrow!
Ordered Tuesday. Arrived Friday to Ohio!

It got dark fast so only got a couple of pictures, I will have to wait until tomorrow to get a few snaps of the finished install.

Very happy with the satin black and much better quality than what I received from Amazon when I tried some from there first!

20221104_182151.jpg

20221104_183253.jpg

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
As I said, I welcome any feedback, questions or suggestions for new products. I also have 7 industrial 3D printers, so I can make plastics products too, and I am soon adding an industrial laser cutter which would expand our production capabilities even more.

Thank you!
I wish I knew about the B/C pillar ppf before I paid 4x for someone to do it for me. Looks like a great product.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A couple more shots. Install went pretty well, any issues were related to my inability to line things up and had a couple particles sneak in under the vinyl. I'm really happy with the results regardless.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, but I know I'm going to order it from here vs Amazon.

20221105_123954.jpg

20221105_124120.jpg

20221105_134524.jpg

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Done 👍 Gloss Black now available. Have in mind that gloss colors are prone to scratching though (more than textured vinyls like the carbon fiber). I use 3M 2080 (used for automotive wraps).

https://twraps.com/products/b-c-pillars-vinyl-wrap-for-mustang-mach-e
My pillars are already scratched. My plan was to polish them and then apply PPF. Now I thinking about just cover scratches with gloss vinyl and then PPF? This way looks simple for me and I assume it’s possible to be done. Just want to know your professional opinion.
PS If it possible, you can sell the gloss black vinyl and PPF in one package and name it as a “Gloss black restoration and protection kit for BC-pillars” 😉

OP
OP
twraps

twraps

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
ILIYA
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
My pillars are already scratched. My plan was to polish them and then apply PPF. Now I thinking about just cover scratches with gloss vinyl and then PPF? This way looks simple for me and I assume it’s possible to be done. Just want to know your professional opinion.
PS If it possible, you can sell the gloss black vinyl and PPF in one package and name it as a “Gloss black restoration and protection kit for BC-pillars” 😉
Hmm that's not a bad idea but let me check (later today or tomorrow) if this is viable... I am not sure how PPF looks when applied over vinyl. Let me test and get back to you!
Sponsored