RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Does anyone know If I have the car set to precondition and then do not end up going out, does it stop and go back to just being plugged in or do I have to go unplug it and plug it back in? The FordPass status stays at cabin temperature set. I clicked on stop charging but it was already at my desired charge level.

Thanks!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Does anyone know If I have the car set to precondition and then do not end up going out, does it stop and go back to just being plugged in or do I have to go unplug it and plug it back in? The FordPass status stays at cabin temperature set. I clicked on stop charging but it was already at my desired charge level.

Thanks!
It stops and you're all set. I suspect if you look, FordPass isn't current.

N2bonz54

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium 2WD Extended Range
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

Thanks!
Correct...it shuts off and charging stops at your pre-selected % of charge..

blink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red MME+
Wish there was a setting where you could precondition between x time and y time, for when you don't know exactly where you are heading out.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wish there was a setting where you could precondition between x time and y time, for when you don't know exactly where you are heading out.
How would that work without wasting a lot of electricity?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Would it need to?
In order to maintain temperatures yes. In my mild California temperatures, it's about 3 kWh per hour to precondition. Our utility rates are low and that would cost me $9 a month just in preconditioning.

Many of us turn off preconditioning because we have variable hours that we depart at. For us, it's a complete waste. I know a lot of people love it but I'll never precondition.

blink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red MME+
In order to maintain temperatures yes. In my mild California temperatures, it's about 3 kWh per hour to precondition. Our utility rates are low and that would cost me $9 a month just in preconditioning.

Many of us turn off preconditioning because we have variable hours that we depart at. For us, it's a complete waste. I know a lot of people love it but I'll never precondition.
Oh, I meant does it need to not waste electricity. I double up on the preconditioning when someone is late or didn't give an accurate time they would arrrive, anyway. Setting x and y time would be more practical. When I know when I leave I'd set a narrow range, when meeting up with someone, a wider range.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag

It's not all a waste. The battery will get warmed up, either in preconditioning or during driving. You do waste a little on AC/heat though, depending on ambient temperature.

Djynn81

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
This may be the wrong spot. But do you have to let the car “warm up” before driving. Like turn on 5 mins before leaving, or driving over a certain speed to let battery warm up.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This may be the wrong spot. But do you have to let the car “warm up” before driving. Like turn on 5 mins before leaving, or driving over a certain speed to let battery warm up.
In sub-freezing temps and the car’s not plugged in, it may be beneficial, but not necessary. When it’s cold out, you’ll get a message suggesting you plug the car when you shut down, if possible. When plugged in, the car will perform some battery conditioning when it’s really cold.

Short answer is the car know how to care for the battery.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
When you remote start the car from the Ford Pass App, it will precondition the cabin, but not the battery. And, yes, I do it all the time. Since my work schedule is pretty consistent, I have the departure times set for both morning and afternoon. It is really nice to walk out to the car and have the cabin, seats and steering wheel ready to go as I step inside. I will also use the app to start the car if we have been somewhere for more than a couple hours (like a dinner party) about 5 to 10 minutes before we head out to the car for the same reason.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
It's not all a waste. The battery will get warmed up, either in preconditioning or during driving. You do waste a little on AC/heat though, depending on ambient temperature.
Which is why I mentioned my location and climate. I have never, even in winter, been power limited by temperature. So, for me, it's a waste and for a large part of people it would be similar. I don't need a toasty cabin, I'm the guy in shorts when it's snowing.

As @heisnuts said, if I want to condition the cabin or let someone sit inside while I'm running errands then remote start is what I use. Very helpful in the hot 100+ summer months for cooling.

Precondition also lasts for, I think, 30 minutes after the set time, so you have a little window already.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The other day it was around 50 degrees. I set a departure time, and no cabin temperature. Although I unplugged it a few minutes early, it didn't pull any current, so perhaps it needed no conditioning.
Sponsored