Premium AWD Extended - 100% charge only 189 miles?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not going to see 316. More like 275. And in the cold, what the OP is seeing is normal.

Ford prohibits nothing. They recommend charging to 90% unless you're going on a trip, then charge to 100%.
The 90% is really 81% of entire battery, isn’t the 270 EPA rating really the 100% of the 90% they make available to us?
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I didn't see an answer for my question there
I don't think any non-MME engineer knows exactly how the default GOM value is determined. We know it is reset to the factory spec, maybe similar to EPA rating, but it appears Ford is a lot more pessimistic in the GOM estimate than others (like Tesla). GOM range is influenced by weather/temperature so if you reset it in the summer it should be higher than if you reset it in the winter. I have not seen anyone explain it any more specifically than that. The GOM is a guess, and the car makes a pessimistic guess so you don't run out of charge before you get to your destination.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
I don't think any non-MME engineer knows exactly how the default GOM value is determined. We know it is reset to the factory spec, maybe similar to EPA rating, but it appears Ford is a lot more pessimistic in the GOM estimate than others (like Tesla). GOM range is influenced by weather/temperature so if you reset it in the summer it should be higher than if you reset it in the winter. I have not seen anyone explain it any more specifically than that. The GOM is a guess, and the car makes a pessimistic guess so you don't run out of charge before you get to your destination.
Thanks, that all makes sense to me. I'm still worried (paranoid?) that my replaced battery isn't going to give me similar range and am not quite sure how to ensure it's all there and working.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did my first full 100% charge and my Premium AWD Extended is showing only 189 miles. Is that normal? I thought the rating was for around 220 miles at a full 100% charge?
If you get the 21p22 update at the dealer it kind of fixes this issue search 21p22 in here and read all the things that it fixes including this. I have Premium AWD Ext as well when i took mine in it was really bad when i got it back it took mine to 230 miles at 100% and its cold here was 32 yesterday and snowing.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Echooooo, echooooo

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thanks, that all makes sense to me. I'm still worried (paranoid?) that my replaced battery isn't going to give me similar range and am not quite sure how to ensure it's all there and working.
Probably the best thing to do is drive the car and track the actual kWh used. Charge it to 100% and drive it to 10%. Then charge it back to 100% and record the kWh it took to fully recharge the battery. There are some losses in the charging process, but the amount of kWh needed to charge should be around 90% of the 88 kWh capacity.

You might not have a way to measure the kWh provided by the charger, so you could use the Journey "My EV Driving" log in FordPass and add up all the kWh used for all your trips. I have not tried to do that, so I am not sure how accurate the FordPass driving data is, but if you get around 90% of 88 kWh it should indicate all is good. If you get something different, it might not mean anything is wrong but you would have some information to ask the dealer about other than just your feeling that the battery capacity is off.

I assume your Premium has the extended range 88 kWh battery.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Not going to see 316. More like 275. And in the cold, what the OP is seeing is normal.

Ford prohibits nothing. They recommend charging to 90% unless you're going on a trip, then charge to 100%.
Since initial charging I see between 302 and 316*, most of the time 310 - 313. Eight months now. I expect to see lower readings if and when it gets colder here (as of today[predicted high around 70] no weather cold enough to bring readings down). It is not set in stone, it is an estimate at best.
Yes, Ford does prohibit your access to the full battery and charging capacity. That is why "100%" is actually only 90% of capacity.
3.7mi/kWh will display higher range than driving at 3mi/kWh.
*It is all relative. Do not charge to 100% if you do not want to. Charge to 100% should you so desire. Charge to 50%. 61%.80%. It's your (damn EV) thing, do what you want to do.
I restate: Have fun. Drive. Charge. Learn. Have fun.

however, I do recommend keeping EV the plugged in during the colder weather.

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Oi, I just need to keep recycling this every time this subject comes up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended - 100% charge only 189 miles? 1638387592974

I wonder how many posts we'll have about increasing range when things warm up again? OMG gained 20 miles range overnight WOOWOWOWOOOO!! :rolleyes:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Get the 21P22 update if you don’t like the low range being displayed. It will improve the reading but your actual range will be about the same.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Much better to look at your Trips and see your Mi/KWH. Multiply that by 88 and that is your real range. It takes a long while for the car to learn how you drive and report properly. My 1 week old premium Er AWD is 194 miles Highway at 72 mph, heat on 70, below 20F outside. (2.2 mi/kWh). 204
Miles at 28F heat on 68F, speed 72 MPH. (2.3 mi/kWh). My wife took it on a trip yesterday with at 30F but at 45-55 MPH and the range is was 264 -299 miles, heat on 65 (3.0-3.4 mi/kWh). All seats and steering wheel on. My GOM says 193 after charging today. Give it 30-60 days to adjust. I have 1000 miles as of this AM.