Premium AWD Extended - 100% charge only 189 miles?

Bfin58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I did my first full 100% charge and my Premium AWD Extended is showing only 189 miles. Is that normal? I thought the rating was for around 220 miles at a full 100% charge?
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did my first full 100% charge and my Premium AWD Extended is showing only 189 miles. Is that normal? I thought the rating was for around 220 miles at a full 100% charge?
isnt The rating around 270?

OP
OP

Bfin58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I thought so, that is why I am asking. 190 miles at maximum charge seems pretty low?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes. It is normal for the range estimation to vary wildly when you first get your car. Warmer temps have higher range than cooler temps so if you have cold winters then you might not see much improvement until Spring. Range on my AWD EX is around 300 miles during the warmer months. Many others here report the same.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Dude, it's 45-50F and raining. Don't sweat it. Drive as normal, limit your daily charge to 80-85%, and just look at your Trips info. You should see 2.4-3.5mi/kWh or so, depending on your lead foot.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I guess it's that time of the year that this will come up again and again.

You are looking at the GOM (Guess-o-Meter). It is not real. It is designed to offer a very CONSERVATIVE guess as to the range you MIGHT get based on a lot of factors. Since it is cold, it is making assumptions about how you'll consume energy to heat the cabin, not pre-heat the car, drive it like you stole it, etc. etc.

As you drive, watch the tile that shows the actual miles per kiloWatt hour consumed.

An Extended Range battery with AWD has an EPA rating for 37 kiloWatts per 100 miles... 100÷37=2.7. If the consumption tile is at 2.7 or better than you are ahead of the 270 mile range. I find I typically beat the GOM rather easily.

In winter weather...

1). ALWAYS leave your car plugged in ... even if you do not need to charge.
2) Pre-start the car with your FordPass app... this will cause the car to start heating the seats, steering wheel and cabin ... using the AC power from the charger (refer to step #1 where you ALWAYS leave you car plugged in). It wont drain the battery.
3). Depart with a warm cabin and battery ... which is much easier to maintain.

Using seat-heater and steering wheel heater, you'll find you don't need to set the cabin temp very warm. I set mine to 70°F and it was much to warm. I turned it down to 68° and found that after 30 minutes of driving it was *still* too warm ... so I reduced it to 65°F (remember the seat heaters and steering wheel heater are keeping you fairly warm).

It wasn't hard to achieve the 2.7 miles/kWh doing this (this was just last week driving in 29° temps).

You WILL lose range in cold temps... when near 0°F temps it was pretty dramatic. But most of that was the car's assumptions about my use of energy to heat the cabin.

The car makes these conservative predictions to avoid you taking it for granted and getting stranded somewhere. Battery to trick you into charging early ... than you ending up not the side of the road waiting for a rescue.

But learn to watch the miles/kWh tile to determine how you are *really* doing.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Initial charges will show up on the low end (software).
Drive some and charge some. Your readings should be between 300 and ~316 miles in warmer weather, less (270 and 300 miles) in cold weather, perhaps less in even colder weather.
Remember, Ford currently prohibits 100% charging (max is 90%).
Have fun. Drive. Charge. Learn. Have fun.
No worries.
All is well that ends well.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I thought so, that is why I am asking. 190 miles at maximum charge seems pretty low?
I’m getting 190 miles at 90%. It’s caused by running the E-heat. It’s cold in CT. Try clearing the driver history and see what happens to the GOM range.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I guess it's that time of the year that this will come up again and again.

You are looking at the GOM (Guess-o-Meter). It is not real. It is designed to offer a very CONSERVATIVE guess as to the range you MIGHT get based on a lot of factors. Since it is cold, it is making assumptions about how you'll consume energy to heat the cabin, not pre-heat the car, drive it like you stole it, etc. etc.

As you drive, watch the tile that shows the actual miles per kiloWatt hour consumed.

An Extended Range battery with AWD has an EPA rating for 37 kiloWatts per 100 miles... 100÷37=2.7. If the consumption tile is at 2.7 or better than you are ahead of the 270 mile range. I find I typically beat the GOM rather easily.

In winter weather...

1). ALWAYS leave your car plugged in ... even if you do not need to charge.
2) Pre-start the car with your FordPass app... this will cause the car to start heating the seats, steering wheel and cabin ... using the AC power from the charger (refer to step #1 where you ALWAYS leave you car plugged in). It wont drain the battery.
3). Depart with a warm cabin and battery ... which is much easier to maintain.

Using seat-heater and steering wheel heater, you'll find you don't need to set the cabin temp very warm. I set mine to 70°F and it was much to warm. I turned it down to 68° and found that after 30 minutes of driving it was *still* too warm ... so I reduced it to 65°F (remember the seat heaters and steering wheel heater are keeping you fairly warm).

It wasn't hard to achieve the 2.7 miles/kWh doing this (this was just last week driving in 29° temps).

You WILL lose range in cold temps... when near 0°F temps it was pretty dramatic. But most of that was the car's assumptions about my use of energy to heat the cabin.

The car makes these conservative predictions to avoid you taking it for granted and getting stranded somewhere. Battery to trick you into charging early ... than you ending up not the side of the road waiting for a rescue.

But learn to watch the miles/kWh tile to determine how you are *really* doing.
My car is in the garage so I don't start it before getting in but I do have it preconditioned. I use the seat heat at the lowest setting and only the steering wheel heat until the steering wheel gets really warm. I leave my climate off and turn on defrost a couple times and at the end of my 1 hour commute I'll turn on the climate at 70 degrees and enable recirc. It's been around 30 degrees here in the morning in GA and I'm getting around 2.8 mi/kw. My GOM at 90% will be around 200 miles

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
I’m getting 190 miles at 90%. It’s caused by running the E-heat. It’s cold in CT. Try clearing the driver history and see what happens to the GOM range.
I'm curious, does it default to a certain value when you reset it? Mine is an ER AWD, when I reset at the dealership, it was 250 I believe. When I reset it after the dealership replaced half the battery, it's around 200.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Initial charges will show up on the low end (software).
Drive some and charge some. Your readings should be between 300 and ~316 miles in warmer weather, less (270 and 300 miles) in cold weather, perhaps less in even colder weather.
Remember, Ford currently prohibits 100% charging (max is 90%).
Have fun. Drive. Charge. Learn. Have fun.
No worries.
All is well that ends well.
Not going to see 316. More like 275. And in the cold, what the OP is seeing is normal.

Ford prohibits nothing. They recommend charging to 90% unless you're going on a trip, then charge to 100%.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag