Premium ER AWD vs RWD - Am I making a mistake?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Since you are already good with the 5 grand for the ER battery, I would tack on the AWD. I didn't find the value in the ER battery for my usage, but didn't want to drop to the 211 mile range of SR AWD for the modest performance gain.
The 4X is easily the best configuration if you’re ok with the extra $7,700.

You can also make a case for the RWD standard battery pack. Big range drop, but if you don’t need the extended range battery then you can also ditch the AWD without losing too much acceleration. And save $7,700!!

It’s tougher to make a case for the “middle” configurations. Add the AWD to the standard battery pack and you’re reducing range to an unacceptable level. And the RWD extended battery pack is more sluggish for only modest range gain.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
But I thought OPD allows regen, so wouldn't it kind of even out? If I want to do OPD for city but when going downhill I want to coast, is there anything I can do to quickly switch it?
No. The MME uses blended braking and as far as I know there is no way to turn it off. This means you get regen when you hit the brake pedal and only get friction braking when putting the pedal to the floor or at the end of a stop. If you want to coast, you can turn OPD off using the screen. You may be able to drive in L all the time and hit the button to turn it off when you want to coast as well.
If you have OPD on, it is simply a two button click to turn it off. First, you’d press the car icon on the top left, which would bring up the drive modes, and show the options for the drive mode you are in. Next, you would click the OPD button which would toggle it off if it was already on.

Alternatively, if you have one of the other drive modes set up to have OPD off, you can simply switch to that drive mode after accessing the drive mode screen with step one.

Note the opposite is even simpler to do - if OPD is off and you want to temporarily turn regen on for going down a hill, you simply press the L button in the middle of the gear shifter. But this isn’t true OPD, because I don’t believe L mode will bring you to a complete stop in and of itself.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
I've ordered the RWD ER config... mostly because I wanted range. :) In my test drive I didn't experience the sluggishness that has been described here, but then again that was my first EV experience and I didn't also test drive a AWD... To each their own I guess :D

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The 4X is easily the best configuration if you’re ok with the extra $7,700.

You can also make a case for the RWD standard battery pack. Big range drop, but if you don’t need the extended range battery then you can also ditch the AWD without losing too much acceleration. And save $7,700!!

It’s tougher to make a case for the “middle” configurations. Add the AWD to the standard battery pack and you’re reducing range to an unacceptable level. And the RWD extended battery pack is more sluggish for only modest range gain.
I like the AWD SR for the extra acceleration too, 0.6 faster 0-60 time compared to the RWD SR. It’s a pretty good value when you are getting the 0.6 second acceleration boost and adding AWD to the vehicle for only $2,900. Many cars, $2,900 gets you AWD, but acceleration is either the same or +\-0.1 seconds.

But I agree the 211 miles does push the range pretty low and isn’t for everyone.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just for fun I did a dealer search within 500 miles of me... looks like slightly more RWD than AWD:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium ER AWD vs RWD - Am I making a mistake? 1625771257344

Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium ER AWD vs RWD - Am I making a mistake? 1625771289770

mrim0706

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E ERW
Country flag
Hm... don't get deceived by people saying they get 300 miles on AWD.
I mean, they may be getting that, but it doesn't mean you will get that.
If you are driving mostly highway at a speed of 75 or above, you will be likely to get only 240miles out of AWD.
I own ER RWD and made a trip from San Diego to Las Vegas.
As you may already know, it's hilly & windy and I was driving at 75 MPH.
I think I would've gone 275 miles for a full charge, but I didn't risk it.
Real life range is different by person and their driving style and the one that claims 300 miles for AWD likely to drive less than 60 MPH.

Plus, let's face it. Southern California wouldn't need AWD, unless you go out for snowboarding or something. But if you are traveling far for snowboarding, Mach e is not a right car yet, considering more energy consumption in cold weather and charging infrastructure.

my2ndstang

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Extended AWD Mach E
Country flag
I live in the northeast so awd is pretty much a given. I have the premium awd with the extended battery. I was considering the standard battery with awd at one point until I realized you would get less HP. I am not willing to sacrifice the 346HP. This thing can move. hahah.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you just make a script to poll this periodically? What API are you hitting?
I did a search on fords site with the options I cared about, then in the browser dev mode I found the URL call that had all the JSON car data in it... then I put that URL in a get into POSTMAN and wrote a bunch of postman tests to pull out the data I wanted. Unfortunately their site only gives 12 at a time, so if you end up with more than 12 it is a slightly different call with index's 12 through 24 etc. etc.

I only did it because I noticed a boolean field coming back in the JSON that was "isDealerOrdered" and I figured it might actually show up as true within 500 miles of me... unfortunately none are so far.
this is what the URL after clicking 'more' on the website looks like:

https://shop.ford.com/aemservices/c...=MoreVehicles&segment=Crossover&zipcode=55555

Al-E

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
I drove a 1997 2 door Nissan 200sx for 4 Chicago winters, parked on the street, and never had a problem on the road once. I didn’t even know what snow tires were back then haha. I think the need for AWD might be being blown a tad out of proportion ?

thait84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER
Country flag
I did a search on fords site with the options I cared about, then in the browser dev mode I found the URL call that had all the JSON car data in it... then I put that URL in a get into POSTMAN and wrote a bunch of postman tests to pull out the data I wanted. Unfortunately their site only gives 12 at a time, so if you end up with more than 12 it is a slightly different call with index's 12 through 24 etc. etc.

I only did it because I noticed a boolean field coming back in the JSON that was "isDealerOrdered" and I figured it might actually show up as true within 500 miles of me... unfortunately none are so far.
this is what the URL after clicking 'more' on the website looks like:

https://shop.ford.com/aemservices/cache/inventory/dealer-lot?dealerSlug=longSlugHere&make=Ford&market=US&Engine=primary_electric_motor_engine_rear_w_extended_range_high-voltage_battery;primary_electric_motor_engine_rear_secondary_electric_motor_engine_front_w_extended_range_high-voltage_battery&Order=Distance&Radius=500&beginIndex=12&endIndex=24&inventoryType=Radius&model=mache&modeltrim=Mache_F23-PREMIUM&return=MoreVehicles&segment=Crossover&zipcode=55555
Awesome! I didn't see the boolean about isDealerOrdered. Thank you for sharing

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Blended braking allows regen also. OPD is just a different way of driving. Standard 2 pedal driving is just as efficient if done properly.
Mike is correct with regards to the Mustang Mach-E. (A few other electric vehicle models don't have blended braking.)

You can coast with 1PD off. You can coast with 1PD on. It's all the same to your passengers and to your vehicle's efficiency, with only a difference in how you use your foot.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm super happy with my RWD Mach-E. It's standard range instead of extended, but I doubt that makes much of a noticeable difference in normal driving. I don't regret not having AWD... And I doubt you will, either. (I think either way you get a Mach-E, it's still going to be an excellent choice that you've made.)

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I go back and forth on this. There's no right answer, really.

I consider AWD's value to be way overstated in most cases. Here, however, with a bunch of torque and HP it makes a lot more sense. At the same time, the MME may be svelte, but it's insides are built on the foundation of lots of chocolate and it weights a ton, which compensates for the torque and HP. I suspect most of us would barely notice the difference.

Full disclosure, got about an hour test drive with an AWD and have not driven a RWD, which I very much want to do.

Then you've got the speed. One is a second plus faster than the other. Again, is it something you'd notice? I didn't go one place today where the extra speed would have mattered. In fact, I can only think of 2 places, left turns with a fair bit of traffic where it would. Even RWD is a second and a half faster than my current ride.

Mileage, maybe. I think the actual calculation is roughly 70% of the range, because fast charge to 80% run it down to 10%. That's either just over 200 miles or just under 200 miles. Again, it's not a huge difference either way.

The AWD was fun because you could kick out the back end just a little bit and it would grab really fast. I don't know what the RWD does. If it worked exactly like that, and there wasn't much, if any, additional slip, that would probably seal the deal for me and a RT1 it would be.

But I get the pull, AWD pulls at me, and I know I'll never, really need it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There’s no wrong decision here. I have the AWD ER Premium. Given our terrain (hills are considered flat around these parts), we’d have been well served with the RWD ER or CR1. But both AWD and RWD work great around here.

Like the oomph from the torque of the 2 electric motors? There’s your answer.

Want to wave at the lesser beings who have to stop and charge while you sail on down the road to a station or 4 further along? There’s your answer.

You're going to like whatever you get. Don’t second guess it.
Sponsored

Last edited: