bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
This is the situation. I live in an apartment in Miami with charging and my wife and I have relatively short commutes. We have wanted the Model Y for a while but haven't had a reason to ditch our Jeep for it until recently. So two weeks ago I submitted an order for a Premium Mach-E Standard Range RWD expecting delivery in November/December.

Well I've been pestering most dealerships inn major cities south of Charlotte and checking their inventories in case there was a cancellation, and sure enough, I got a call yesterday that a customer cancelled an order for a Mach-E with the exact specs we were looking for, so we pulled the trigger on it and it's scheduled to arrive at the dealership on August 30th.

I decided to not cancel my November/December yet just in case something funny happens with the August car. In the last 24 hours I've gone back and forth on changing the Novemer/December order to a Route 1... The incremental cost is about $3k and the differences in features seem minimal, especially for someone living in Miami with no need for AWD and heated seats.

I know this is less of a question and more of a thought process but I appreciate any pointers or opinions.

Thanks.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I live in NJ and opted for the RT1 over an AWD SR Premium or RWD ER premium. As you said, what is missing with the ER RWD premium doesn't feel like it's worth $2200, and the extra range over the AWD SR gives me convenience and peace of mind 350 days of the year (and I don't need to drive during the 10 that there is slick snow).

Living in FL I would only do AWD if you want the added acceleration.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Having a SR RWD I would order it again, if I was going to pay more I would add range. RWD car is pretty much quicker than most ICE cars in traffic. I would not bring it on the beach even with AWD, for these cars here in Fl the AWD is all about the 0-60.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I live in Arizona, the desert, and went with Route 1, I wanted maximum range, I believe range is king with EVs. Heated seats and AWD are completely unnecessary. I have a 2017 Bolt and have driven it in snow one time on a trip to Flagstaff. No problem at all. I grew up driving RWD only cars in snow during the 70s, it is not that hard.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I suppose if you go on extended trips, the Rt 1 would make sense. And while you say your apartment building has charging, if it's not particularly convenient that would also favor the Rt 1. Other than that, it's a personal calculation on how much you want the other premium features and it sounds like that is rather low.

While I myself have a premium, I live a 1/2 mile from the actual California Highway Route 1, so I have always found that name kind of cool.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
If you value range above all, then of course Rt.1. But you will lose some "premium" features like the B&O system and power passenger seat (among others)--if that matters.

But don't rely on the EPA figures to make up your mind. I have the bottom of the barrel SR select and while I've only driven this car for a couple weeks, it seems the range is WAY better than EPA. I drove 130 miles today with A/C at 68--mostly highway and cruise set, uh, just-a-little above the highway speed limit ?? (this is a public forum). I only used 50% of the battery, which means I could have gone a total of 260 miles without giving a $%^! about efficiency. Granted, high 80s, flat, no rain. But that's basically Miami most of the year so you're not going to have a problem.

OP
OP
bs1055

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
If you value range above all, then of course Rt.1. But you will lose some "premium" features like the B&O system and power passenger seat (among others)--if that matters.

But don't rely on the EPA figures to make up your mind. I have the bottom of the barrel SR select and while I've only driven this car for a couple weeks, it seems the range is WAY better than EPA. I drove 130 miles today with A/C at 68--mostly highway and cruise set, uh, just-a-little above the highway speed limit ?? (this is a public forum). I only used 50% of the battery, which means I could have gone a total of 260 miles without giving a $%^! about efficiency. Granted, high 80s, flat, no rain. But that's basically Miami most of the year so you're not going to have a problem.
This is great insight, thank you.

OP
OP
bs1055

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
Thank you all for your thoughts. I think I'll keep the SR RWD Premium!

Reactions: ARK

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would not own an EV without heated seats. I think they are an essential feature for an EV to have.

OP
OP
bs1055

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
I would not own an EV without heated seats. I think they are an essential feature for an EV to have.
Why is that? I have never owned a car with heated seats. Miami rarely gets <60 degrees F
Sponsored