Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I purchased a Grizzl-E 40-amp charger with a nema 14-50 plug.

As others have stated, most electrians were unwilling to bid on an installation with a nema 14-50 plug to a GFI as required by code here. They were only willing to hardware the unit.

Luckily, the Grizzl can be hardwired. I’ve been getting quotes of around $1000 to install a dedicate hardware circuit from a basement sub-panel to an outside electric companies control meter and then to my attached garage (about 25 feet of wire).

I get a $500 rebate from my electric company for the installation of the charger and hookup to their control meter. So all in all not too bad.
Sponsored

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Any idea how long chargers last? My utility company ended their rebate program, so I'm paying full retail for the unit. The 30% tax credit doesn't exactly make me want to spend big on this. Any luck with cheap chargers?
I pulled my Clipper Creek after 11.5 years. It's still going strong, just wanted something 'smart(er)' which ended up being a waste of time.

2010GT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang GT, 2023 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Country flag
I pulled my Clipper Creek after 11.5 years. It's still going strong, just wanted something 'smart(er)' which ended up being a waste of time.
I settled on an Emporia for $300. My only complaint is that water gets into the plug if you do not seal it very carefully. This has not caused an issue.

Exordium01

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I'm getting quotes in the range of $2-3k to run 75 ft of conduit and install a charger that I provide. I should have requested the instal of a 60A subpanel instead of an EV charger. I'm pretty sure the price gouging is occurring due to the utility company's install rebate.

Screw that, I'm doing it myself. It's like $400 in conduit and wire. I'm planning on running a second circuit for a mini-split since the location I want is in the same path.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I'm getting quotes in the range of $2-3k to run 75 ft of conduit and install a charger that I provide. I should have requested the instal of a 60A subpanel instead of an EV charger. I'm pretty sure the price gouging is occurring due to the utility company's install rebate.

Screw that, I'm doing it myself. It's like $400 in conduit and wire. I'm planning on running a second circuit for a mini-split since the location I want is in the same path.
You might still consider a subpanel. It probably won’t cost much more than those two circuits and leave room for future expansion.

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW SportTrak RAM 3500
Dual Charger - future proofing? We were happy to drive our new MME home and trying to be thoughtful about the charger we install. Seems like you folks have lots of informed opinions.

I am thinking I would like to install a dual charger - because I am hopeful that the next owner of this house (or me) will have two EVs. And as I understand the plugs are standardizing away from the plug this 2023 MME currently sports.

What recommendations do you all have for a dual charger with some forward proofing that can be wired directly to the panel on its own circuit?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Dual Charger - future proofing? We were happy to drive our new MME home and trying to be thoughtful about the charger we install. Seems like you folks have lots of informed opinions.

I am thinking I would like to install a dual charger - because I am hopeful that the next owner of this house (or me) will have two EVs. And as I understand the plugs are standardizing away from the plug this 2023 MME currently sports.

What recommendations do you all have for a dual charger with some forward proofing that can be wired directly to the panel on its own circuit?
unless you have two EVs, and both driving more than 100 miles per day every day, I can't imagine why you would want to install two chargers.

personally, I'd have your electrician put in one NEMA 14-50 outlet (with 50a circuit in your service), and charge using a mobile charger at 32amps.... plenty of time overnight to charge a vehicle from empty to full. Just charge each vehicle every other day.

I like having an outlet rather than hardwire the charger so that I have the outlet available for emergency generator backfeed, or using other power tools like my welder without having to run additional circuits since I have a full panel already.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
unless you have two EVs, and both driving more than 100 miles per day every day, I can't imagine why you would want to install two chargers.

personally, I'd have your electrician put in one NEMA 14-50 outlet (with 50a circuit in your service), and charge using a mobile charger at 32amps.... plenty of time overnight to charge a vehicle from empty to full. Just charge each vehicle every other day.

I like having an outlet rather than hardwire the charger so that I have the outlet available for emergency generator backfeed, or using other power tools like my welder without having to run additional circuits since I have a full panel already.
A dual EVSE would allow more flexibility regarding when to charge. If you have 2 EVs, there could be times you find yourself needing to charge both the same night. Although I'd agree that most of the time just alternating nights should be sufficient.

I like having the flexibility of a 14-50 outlet too. But I didn't care for the idea of using the mobile EVSE full-time. They're a bit lightweight for heavy use, with many reports of them failing within the first year or two when used that often. I've been happy with my Grizzl-E, which is far more stout and was a modest $400. If I were looking for a dual EVSE, I'd start by looking at the $800 Grizzl-E duo.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag

Buy the universal Wall Connector UNIVERSAL WALL CONNECTOR, which is made by Tesla. It has a native NACS handle but it can be used with your Mach E because it has a integrated J1772 adapter built in. It's currently the only charger that has J1772 and NACS in one unit. This charger will allow you to cover all of your bases, especially if you or the next home owner buys a car that has a NACS port. Others have mention using a 14-50 outlet, but you should also consider having an electrician hardwire the charger to a dedicated breaker, which is how my charger is wired.

Also check out Tom Moloughney's State of Charge youtube page. Tom has reviewed numerous ev charging units and he has even reviewed the Tesla Universal wall connector. I bought a Wallbox Pulsar Plus after watching his review of it. I've had it for 2 years and I haven't had a problem with it. But if I was getting a charger installed today, I'd go with the universal wall connector bc it offers the most flexibility in terms of current and future vehicle purchases.
Sponsored

Last edited: