JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Got my Grizzl-E installed yesterday, will have to wait for the Mach-E to test though!

The basement/garage will see some renovations in the next year or so, so I didn't bother making it look too pretty. When those renovations happen I'll be adding a meter to the circuit to take advantage of my electric utilities EV time-of-day billing.
But you don't have to wait: You can rent (via turo.com) an EV (Bolt, Kona, Tesla, etc.) for a day or so to get some EV driving experience in and test out your charger.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
But you don't have to wait: You can rent (via turo.com) an EV (Bolt, Kona, Tesla, etc.) for a day or so to get some EV driving experience in and test out your charger.
No non-Tesla's on Turo in my area, and the Model 3 and S that are there have 3-4 day minimums and are $500+.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No non-Tesla's on Turo in my area, and the Model 3 and S that are there have 3-4 day minimums and are $500+.
Yeah, I'm already blowing through a lot of money for the MME and the charger installation. And have 2 Escapes in the garage now. Last thing I need is to blow money on a rental I don't need. I looked at Turo once out of curiosity and they were expensive.

Appreciate the idea, but... no.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Scratch that - I guess there is a 2015 Model S that I can do for a day, but looks like only during the week, for $150. Not sure I want to spend that just for a day. If I get the Mach-E and realize the Grizzl-E isn't functioning correctly I can just plug the Ford Mobile EVSE into the L14-50.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Ah yeah true if you're aren't in an area where EV's are popular....

Around me I see the least expensive is a Model 3 for $116/day currently--I've looked before and have seen a Bolt.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
There are no incentives of any kind from the power company or the state here in SC. The only upside is the sales tax on cars maxes out at $500.
That’s huge savings! Car sales tax here is between 8-11%. Unless you buy an EV for less than $45k, then it’s tax free.

...though WA doesn’t have an income tax.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Does anyone know how the Ford Connected charger attaches to the wall? I assume that it is installed over an electrical box. I'd like to know how big of a hole I need to cut in the wall to install the charger.
According to this install guide, it has 2 wiring configurations:

- 3-wire where the wire comes straight into the charger box
- 4-wire into a junction box (then the charger covers the junction box) which allows a future change out to a 14-60 outlet.

https://www.ford.com/ntzlibs/conten...-sheet/Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL.pdf

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Well, after $1,500 to install a 240 / 50amp outlet in my garage, and $649 for a JuiceBox 40 Next Generation, I finally have everything installed. All that's missing is an electric car! I'm taking a huge leap transitioning from ICE to BEV, but I'm ready, and there's no turning back!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger IMG_4101

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Well, after $1,500 to install a 240 / 50amp outlet in my garage, and $649 for a JuiceBox 40 Next Generation, I finally have everything installed. All that's missing is an electric car! I'm taking a huge leap transitioning from ICE to BEV, but I'm ready, and there's no turning back!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger IMG_4101
$1500, yikes. How long of a wire run?

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
$1500, yikes. How long of a wire run?
Ya, it stung. The breaker box is in my basement, on the opposite side of the house of my garage. So, electrician had to run it across the house, and up a level, and out to the garage. I keep telling myself it will be worth it.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Ya, it stung. The breaker box is in my basement, on the opposite side of the house of my garage. So, electrician had to run it across the house, and up a level, and out to the garage. I keep telling myself it will be worth it.
That's exactly what I'm facing, almost the exact description of location. And you're named Dave. Are you future me?