Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Elechicken
Country flag
Your master electrician friend did not mechanically protect that cable by the looks of it and therefore it wouldn’t pass an inspection where I’m from.
I would recommend you put it in a conduit from the wall to the panel.
Not to mention that it is a flush mount panel that is surface mounted.
Ive seen inspections failed for that too.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Not to mention that it is a flush mount panel that is surface mounted.
Ive seen inspections failed for that too.
That's one picky inspector! I'd ask him for a code reference.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there a difference between 'hardware' versus 240v outlet? Was thinking of having a electrician install the outlet in the garage. Cost around $400-500 here.

I know the video says the hardware will support more amps and charge faster. But is it because of the charger model or the connection limitation?
I’m going to have mine hardwired. A friend who is involved with EV development recommended a ChargePoint on a 240v, 80a circuit. That is overkill for an MME but his argument is that charging current demands are only going one way in the future and I should plan for the maximum capability.

The electrician who is going to do the installation says that code will require a cut off switch near the charger.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The electrician who is going to do the installation says that code will require a cut off switch near the charger.
That's a good point that many miss. The wording in the code is "a disconnect within sight", so 'near' could be on the other side of the garage and still be legal! And for cord and plug connected units, the plug counts as your disconnect.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
That's a good point that many miss. The wording in the code is "a disconnect within sight", so 'near' could be on the other side of the garage and still be legal! And for cord and plug connected units, the plug counts as your disconnect.
Interesting...seems like I've seen many pics of hard-wired EVSE's outside w/o an obvious "disconnect within sight." Code violation?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting...seems like I've seen many pics of hard-wired EVSE's outside w/o an obvious "disconnect within sight." Code violation?
A picture only shows the view in one direction. It could easily be legal and not in the picture.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Here's my Grizzl-e with my NEMA 14-50 outlet...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger 20210327_150601

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here's my Grizzl-e with my NEMA 14-50 outlet...

20210327_150601.jpg
Similar to mine. Except the cord is so thick and heavy that I've gone with big loops that hang close to the floor. Only 2 loops on the holder. I find it much easier that way (and probably better on the cord). That way I only have to lift the cord off the holder from a single loop to reach the car. No cord wrestling to get it on/off.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That‘s because those are almost always 60A or less, which don’t require a disconnect. @Larry’s will need a disconnect if he goes with an 80A circuit.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That‘s because those are almost always 60A or less, which don’t require a disconnect. @Larry’s will need a disconnect if he goes with an 80A circuit.
That's true - I had forgotten about that. NEC section 422 has always required "hardwired appliances rated 300VA and above" to have a local disconnect. For EVSE installations, 625.43 takes over and precludes the requirement unless the circuit is either over 60 amps or 150V to ground.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Got mine plugged in today

TechnoVE 48
Needed to install a DCC-12 due to loaded 200A panel ( stupid previous owner, electrician btw, who didn't go for 300A)!!

And a backup 14-50 in case there's ever a problem with the hardwired charger

Set fort life

20210506_141906_HDR.jpg

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Got mine plugged in today

TechnoVE 48
Needed to install a DCC-12 due to loaded 200A panel ( stupid previous owner, electrician btw, who didn't go for 300A)!!

And a backup 14-50 in case there's ever a problem with the hardwired charger

Set fort life
Nice! You Canadians really know how to build some robust EVSE units. Very impressive.