TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Really good idea. Especially if there is a way to lock the outlet cover so nobody steals your convenience EVSE. If that option were available then I would use a dedicated L1 unit that way I could park over the (input) power cord to keep anyone from stealing it. The L1/L2 combo units usually have removable input cords so that isn't going to be as secure.
One modest plus to the security angle is airport parking garages/lots are usually more secure, and sometimes include cameras and security staff. But yeah, someone stealing your charger would always be a concern anytime away from the car, even just for an hour while plugged into a 14-50 at a park.

If they just put an eyelet next to the outlet, even a paddle lock could secure the charger cord.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Really good idea. Especially if there is a way to lock the outlet cover so nobody steals your convenience EVSE. If that option were available then I would use a dedicated L1 unit that way I could park over the (input) power cord to keep anyone from stealing it. The L1/L2 combo units usually have removable input cords so that isn't going to be as secure.
I thought you could lock the charger to the car so it can't be removed?

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Aside from the excellent advice given by @SnBGC I would add: If the airport where your parked at has any free Level-2 chargers (free as in no cost but also free as in available at the time you park) make use of them. Leave your car parked at the Level-2 for 5 or 6 days plugged in.

Shouldn't be an issue in that case either.

Note that you'll also be able to monitor the car via the FordPass app and see if its alive or dead ;)
I’d feel horrible if I tied up a L2 charger for 5 or 6 days. I’d rather just take my chances.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I thought you could lock the charger to the car so it can't be removed?
I don't know how well that works. There is a button on my console but it doesn't seem to work. I think it might be there to unlock when DCFCing because sometimes those don't disengage when the session is over. I haven't really played with it to be honest......

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I don't know how well that works. There is a button on my console but it doesn't seem to work. I think it might be there to unlock when DCFCing because sometimes those don't disengage when the session is over. I haven't really played with it to be honest......
The Bolt automatically locks the plug to the car while DCFC is charging--you really don't want to yank that plug out while that much current is going through there.

I’d feel horrible if I tied up a L2 charger for 5 or 6 days. I’d rather just take my chances.
Our airport has a few Level-2's in long term parking. Its almost always full when I go by. Since its long term parking they are there for a few days at least.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I"m sorry but other people might want to use the L-2 charger. Bad Idea. :eek:
Nope not at all (see above response too)--they are in long term parking.

(If you look at them on plugshare you see people checking in and commenting with when they are leaving...)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
are there charging stations in long term parking and if so would that be ok?
Depends upon location probably. The airport nearest me has short term dedicated EV spots with L2 chargers. Security will unplug your car at some point after 24 hours.

The same airport has a medium-sized long term lot with 2 L2 chargers and a bunch of 120 v outlets all undercover. No clue about the unplugging of cars in that lot though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That just seems wrong to me, to tie up a charger that long so no one else can get to it.
Agreed. It will surely piss off the BEV drivers who planned to use the chargers to get themselves back home.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I have wondered about that too but what other choice do you have in a long term parking garage. Everyone there is flying somewhere.... ??

Maybe it they arrange the stalls so several cars can access the same cord? I have a little card that was given to me by the local utility company that says it's okay to unplug my vehicle when my car is full and someone else needs it. It looks like those hotel door handle cards for "Do Not Disturb" or "Service Needed Please". I wonder if that would work.....at least your car would have a full charge if you didn't have time to top up before your flight.
Some BEVs have a locking feature that automatically unlock once your car is charged.
I've unplugged both an L2 and an L3 from another BEV that was finished charging and plugged mine in.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Some BEVs have a locking feature that automatically unlock once your car is charged.
I've unplugged both an L2 and an L3 from another BEV that was finished charging and plugged mine in.
But you shouldn't have to do that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But you shouldn't have to do that.
And that's just not going to work, IMO, between complete strangers' cars. Wouldn't take long for that to become a problem and cause conflict.

It may come down to something like "If you want your car charged for you while you're parked for days, then pay extra for the service". That could mean either using valet, or one of the off-airport parking services that might start including that service for a special fee.

Or maybe a special self-park lot (with higher rates) that provide a 120V outlet at each space, along with camera security to watch for anyone trying to steal people's own mobile chargers.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Just scheduled an electrician to install a 14-50 240v / 50 Amp plug in my garage for this Friday. Will cost $1,500 since he has to run wire from my basement, across the house, up to the garage. ALSO ordered a JuiceBox 40 Next Generation Plug-In EVSE. It’s getting real now! No turning back. ?

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Just scheduled an electrician to install a 14-50 240v / 50 Amp plug in my garage for this Friday. Will cost $1,500 since he has to run wire from my basement, across the house, up to the garage. ALSO ordered a JuiceBox 40 Next Generation Plug-In EVSE. It’s getting real now! No turning back. ?
Wow... that's some serious $$$! The good news is, you'll be very happy with your JB 40. It's a very solid EVSE that does its job well.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Wow... that's some serious $$$! The good news is, you'll be very happy with your JB 40. It's a very solid EVSE that does its job well.
Ya, he has to cut a lot of drywall. It’s going to be a project repairing, re-painting all the repairs.
Sponsored